sheep.dog

May 30, 2017
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out digging yesterday and I found what i believe to be a counterfeit 1820 large cent. It was found with a handful of other 19th century relics including a real 1836 large cent.

When i saw that silver color I instantly forgot that the tone and VDI were way too low for silver and got really excited. Definitely not silver or lead, some sort of pot metal?

It matches a large cent in size. There is a seam along the rim.
Weight: 94.6 grains
Air test VDI:
ML Equinox: 15-16
XP Deus : 75

MmL5ZGj.jpg

yoDWUoj.jpg

Upvote 16

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's amazing that they were counterfeiting way back then. I wonder how easy it was to pass fake coins back then? Gary

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s odd, it would seem that if you were going to counterfeit, one cent would not be the denomination of choice. I usually see fake gold coins, but that “One Cent” on the back seems to negate that as an option.

Cool find.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've read where a lot of counterfeiting went on back then. It was probably easy to do. But that's a cool find.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a very nice find. To think that someone took the time to try and counterfeit a Large Cent will make for a nice conversation piece.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting find! :icon_thumleft:

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
It could be painted with a lead based paint. if you don't care about the condition, take some paint thinner and rub it in a small area.

It could also be pewter which was cheaper than copper, but usually pewter decays much more than what I am seeing. In those days, there was a huge demand for copper, so it may have well been counterfeited.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice :coffee2:

My Guess Just Environmental Damage due To fire, Ground Content, lime or ?

OP
OP
sheep.dog

sheep.dog

May 30, 2017
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice :coffee2:

My Guess Just Environmental Damage due To fire, Ground Content, lime or ?

This photo shows thee two coins found on Saturday. One is the "counterfeit" and the other is a real 1836 Large cent. it was found maybe 10-15 feet away.
dBFmySm.jpg

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
How much do you think it cost to counterfeit a one cent coin? How much time would be involved? Do you think someone did it just for fun and really didn't need to make any profit?

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beside the color, which could be explained by factors other than counterfeiting, is there any other evidence the coin is a counterfeit?

OP
OP
sheep.dog

sheep.dog

May 30, 2017
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beside the color, which could be explained by factors other than counterfeiting, is there any other evidence the coin is a counterfeit?

It weight 50 grains less than a true large cent. Its not copper. a large cent usually rings in around 29 VDI on my equinox, this one rings in around 15.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s odd, it would seem that if you were going to counterfeit, one cent would not be the denomination of choice. I usually see fake gold coins, but that “One Cent” on the back seems to negate that as an option.

Cool find.
Not really all that odd if you think about it. A penny was bought more back then. And if you think about it how many would really scrutinize a penny that closely? Really don't understand counterfeiters these days. If I was a crook, it'd make more sense to counterfeit $5 & $10s. Might take more work to pass, but how many people even look at a five or ten dollar bill?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in 1820 it Probably would have cost 1 Penny to make 10 Large Cents.

Colonial coins were Being Counterfeited on a Large scale or at least 50 years before That.
was a simple thing to get away with because there were so many varieties out there.
So I can't rule it out.

Unfortunately if you sent it away, it would most likely come back untested in a Body Bag as too environmentally damaged to Confirm things. I personally am still Not convinced it's a counterfeit.
But Looking at Pictures isn't like holding & inspecting.

Still Nice finds either way.
I love finding Large & Half cents

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really all that odd if you think about it. A penny was bought more back then. And if you think about it how many would really scrutinize a penny that closely? Really don't understand counterfeiters these days. If I was a crook, it'd make more sense to counterfeit $5 & $10s. Might take more work to pass, but how many people even look at a five or ten dollar bill?

Correct ! There are Most likely 10's of Thousands of Counterfeit $1.00 Bills out there.
Only Problem, They are Done to Perfection, & A store Clerk will Never Pull a Counterfeit Checker Pen
out to test the paper.

I'm not even sure Banks Check 1's

Last edited:
OP
OP
sheep.dog

sheep.dog

May 30, 2017
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in 1820 it Probably would have cost 1 Penny to make 10 Large Cents.
I personally am still Not convinced it's a counterfeit.

Being only 2/3 the mass of an LC and pretty clearly made of a different material, I can't figure out what else it might be. Childs play money?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread