Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I was able to get out for 3 hours today. Did 1.5 hrs recon (a flop), and 1.5 hrs at an old spot. I squeaked out a largie and a few buttons. I have some other finds, but the wife forced me out to a holiday party and now I'm one the piss, as they say. Maybe tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1480826596.856789.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1480826607.076107.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1480826628.220452.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1480826639.659252.jpg

Enjoy and best of luck to everyone.

Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 24

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great return on a 90 minute investment-I like the large cent. Any ideas about the button with the eagle on it?

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt man. A LC with a counterstamp is a killer find man. When you mentioned it to me, I had no idea it was counterstamped. Time well spent.

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gotta love any counterstamped coin. Any clue who C.C. Dyer was? Congrats sir.

John

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt, I liked your video, I can't remember to try and when I do it always seems to turn out to be a horse tack buckle or a matchbox car, lol. I have not found a counter-stamped coin yet. Sorry for your holiday schedule, keep digging, your a good little researcher!

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C.C. DYER (TC-265975) New York, New York (New York County), U.S.A.

Token Catalog lists him as a New York County, New York Saw filer and tool maker. There have been a number of C. C. Dyer counterstamped large cents and other coins found.

1825 Capped Bust Dime, Counterstamped C.C. Dyer, New York City ca. 1840s - Tokens and Political Items - ARCHIVE

"C.C. DYER on 1825 JR-4 dime. Brunk D-647, Rulau HT-E259A. Rarity-8. Stamp Very Fine, coin Very Good or so. An attractively marked early Capped Bust dime that crossed paths with New York City saw filer and tool maker Charles C. Dyer, who was working at 510 Greenwich Street in the 1840s, just about two blocks from the current location of the American Numismatic Society. While Brunk records a fair number of large cents with the C.C. DYER stamp, he lists just two dimes: an 1825 (presumably this one) and an 1833. The surfaces are lightly toned silver gray, showing some minor hairlines but pretty nice for the grade."

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Token Catalog lists him as a New York County, New York Saw filer and tool maker. There have been a number of C. C. Dyer counterstamped large cents and other coins found.

1825 Capped Bust Dime, Counterstamped C.C. Dyer, New York City ca. 1840s - Tokens and Political Items - ARCHIVE

"C.C. DYER on 1825 JR-4 dime. Brunk D-647, Rulau HT-E259A. Rarity-8. Stamp Very Fine, coin Very Good or so. An attractively marked early Capped Bust dime that crossed paths with New York City saw filer and tool maker Charles C. Dyer, who was working at 510 Greenwich Street in the 1840s, just about two blocks from the current location of the American Numismatic Society. While Brunk records a fair number of large cents with the C.C. DYER stamp, he lists just two dimes: an 1825 (presumably this one) and an 1833. The surfaces are lightly toned silver gray, showing some minor hairlines but pretty nice for the grade."

Great research David!

Nice outing Steve, cool counter-stamped LC and what's the top right button?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! Good job a squeaking out a few keepers in such short time! :occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You Da Man Steve, awesome finds for a short 90 minute hunt :headbang: Being counter stamped makes that coin a terrific find, better than any old run of the mill LC in my book.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds! Did you notice how that large cent literally dove right back in the hole? It's what I've been saying all along. These things we find do not WANT to be found! They are professional hiders! So, you better get that thing put into something to hold it or it will surely find a way to get back into hiding!

Nice!

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt. Nice counterstamped LC. The amount of LC's you guys find up north is insane. We just dont find em down here in the south.

Great return on a 90 minute investment-I like the large cent. Any ideas about the button with the eagle on it?
I believe that eagle button is a WW1 US Navy. It looks alot like one i have dug a while back. Got really excited until i got home and found it in Alberts book.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Thx Glen. I haven't had a chance to look up the button, but I'm fairly confident it's 20th century army.

Edit: look above this post;)

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great hunt man. A LC with a counterstamp is a killer find man. When you mentioned it to me, I had no idea it was counterstamped. Time well spent.

When I sent you a pic, I hadn't soaked it yet. The counterstamp just appeared from behind the dirt. Cool right?

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great counter stamped coin. It gives it a lot of character.

It certainly makes it stand out from the other matron coppers. It's actually my first counterstamp with a name. The rest were numbers or symbols.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice hunt, I liked your video, I can't remember to try and when I do it always seems to turn out to be a horse tack buckle or a matchbox car, lol. I have not found a counter-stamped coin yet. Sorry for your holiday schedule, keep digging, your a good little researcher!

Thanks Brad. I have a lot of videos of me digging up crap.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Excellent info! Thanks so much!!

Great history

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions