County park yields gold....am I wrong here?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in another local park.It is a county park and your not supposed to dig.Well there's a loophole,there are no laws prohibiting metal detectors,only laws prohibiting digging,so I can still use it in the volleyball court,where all the sand is.Your not supposed to remove anything from the parks,but that applies to flora and fauna and historical artifacts and fossils and rocks and such.I read that your allowed to search for lost "personal property",in which I think this applies.It doesn't say whose personal property.Am I wrong here?Anyway this is my first gold necklace find and i'm going to hit all the volleyball courts in the county now!This was the only thing besides 1 beer cap found there.It took 20 minutes to drive there and about 15 minutes to find.This was my first attempt at this and I didn't run across any park personnel,but i'm sure I eventually will.When I do i'll tell them I lost a chain and i'm looking for it.As long as I stick to the sandy manmade areas, I should be alright.So what do you think, am I wrong here?This is only 11 inches long,I think it's only a piece of a necklace.Looks like its broke.But it's my first and it's 14k so yeehaa! :D

Attachments

• cb smith volleyball.jpg
    cb smith volleyball.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 335
Upvote 0

jt70

Apr 27, 2005
My Own World
Detector(s) used
DFX
I think you are correct in your interpretation. If anyone does ever ask you to stop i would'nt argue with them as this could create something for them to view as a problem at that point and you can bet that the rules will then change in a heartbeat.

Very pretty gold by the way

Good luck

JT

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
in some of the parks here you can use a detector to hunt for personal property lost, but you must get a permit first. (I couldn't even hunt for a womans ring at her request!) That doesn't look broken to me! Great find! Good Hunting! omnicognic 8)

P.S. The woman got a permit to detect for her own ring. I loaned her my detector and coached her till she was able to find it herself, while the ranger looked on! ;)

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
Nice chain "Dig" ! I like your interpretations, but I bet the Ranger will be right, no matter if he is wrong.
I have been hunting in a county park here for a week and just found out last night I am suppose to have a permit.
I am really getting confused on these laws. Does anyone know about the law when you are in a state park that is in a Corp. of Eng. area ?
~Kansas~

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
in my area most county parks are ok but holes can be no more that 6 inches wide and 6 inches deep. the parks department wants you to call ahead of time to make sure everything is ok. state parks on the other hand are off limits (with a few exeptions). if you arent sure e-mail your local parks and recreation department. they will tell you.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
omnicognic said:
in some of the parks here you can use a detector to hunt for personal property lost, but you must get a permit first. (I couldn't even hunt for a womans ring at her request!) That doesn't look broken to me! Great find! Good Hunting! omnicognic? 8)

P.S. The woman got a permit to detect for her own ring. I loaned her my detector and coached her till she was able to find it herself, while the ranger looked on! ;)
?Your in Hillsborough county, no?Hopefully I didn't missread the by-laws,i'll have to look it over again.I don't remember reading anything concerning permits for looking for personal property in Broward co.parks.The city park rules don't list anything at all concerning metal detector usage here in Hollywood.I'll double check,I don't want to end up in the pokey! Like freetodetect! :D ;D P.S.- the chain doesn't have a clasp ring on the one end and it's an odd size thats why I figure it's broke.

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Yes I'm in Hillsborough county, the incident in question happened at a park down in venice/sarasota beach area. Here in Hillsborough I haven't had any trouble at county parks and schools.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread