tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hidden Treasures of Osage County Oklahoma written by Bill Wade. I couldn't zoom very well in on your photo to see what it is your studying up on. Got it now. Any good leads in that literature? Your not all that far from some interesting things I discovered back in 1983. I plan to go back and do a little more investigating on it some day, or maybe better to do it at night, as time does bring allot more eyes around these days?. At first I didn't think it was much of anything back then and now years later a theory came to my mind. The head waters of the upper Arkansas has been one of the main veins to the treasures of the Rockies for a very long time now and the evidence of past fortune hunters is scattered all up and down the banks of that mountain stream. Glad you could find a little seclusion in a beautiful place of sites & sounds on your camping trip. It sure looks like you had some wonderful weather. Spring is for sure coming in, or so the birds tell me.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, a shameless plug for Gooner's book about the Osage. Pretty interesting and I've read it several times. Good possibility for hidden treasure up here along the Arkansas. The Spanish were probably up here along with tons of early day trappers, explorers, miners, etc. Several interesting rock formations, most natural but some with some man made tinkering that the treasure signs and symbols guys would have a field day with. And there's the story of Spanish treasure over by the Chalk Cliffs on Mt. Princeton. A figure of a Spanish princess is supposed to be the key to locating it. I believe this is a particular time of day or time of year marker, and I finally think I've seen it, but I have no clue what to do with the information after that. East of the cliffs in an open area is what appears to be an obvious stone marker that I've seen from the road, but I've never heard anyone mention anything about that.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/co-treasures8.html
Well RGINN The treasure I give allot of thinking on is the Summitville Lost French gold of Treasure Mountain. The story tells what is believed to have took place. Nothing on the routes that were taken in to and out of the Rockies from a starting point at an outpost in present day Leavenworth Kansas. The story also tell of a party of 50 men passing thru Taos to retrieve the treasure. I have a tough time believing a party of Frenchmen would go thru heavily held Spanish territory on their way to find gold that way. The Spanish wanted no one other then them looking for riches in what they considered their territory. I think the 1st party of survivors may have hid what gold they could along the upper Arkansas river during their escape out of the mountains back to the outpost in Kansas. One other theory I ponder is Penitente canyon on the west side across from the sand dunes in the San Luis valley by the church at La Garita. That part of the valley was the way one would travel in to Del Note before todays roads were put in. (I have some picture of that area I took when I go thru that way instead of taking the highway). The crunch was built in the 1920's... I believe this William Yule fella also had the same idea of the treasure being hid someplace in the San Luis valley because it is said he had a map with clues for the hidden treasure. Both the upper Arkansas valley and the San Luis valley are two places I am sure I could at least hide something very well.

Attachments

• la garita 1.jpg
    la garita 1.jpg
    700 KB · Views: 83
  • la garita 2.jpg
    la garita 2.jpg
    842.9 KB · Views: 83
  • la garita 3.jpg
    la garita 3.jpg
    536.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, a shameless plug for Gooner's book about the Osage. Pretty interesting and I've read it several times. Good possibility for hidden treasure up here along the Arkansas. The Spanish were probably up here along with tons of early day trappers, explorers, miners, etc. Several interesting rock formations, most natural but some with some man made tinkering that the treasure signs and symbols guys would have a field day with. And there's the story of Spanish treasure over by the Chalk Cliffs on Mt. Princeton. A figure of a Spanish princess is supposed to be the key to locating it. I believe this is a particular time of day or time of year marker, and I finally think I've seen it, but I have no clue what to do with the information after that. East of the cliffs in an open area is what appears to be an obvious stone marker that I've seen from the road, but I've never heard anyone mention anything about that.
I think you'd enjoy a camp out and exploring trip to Penitente canyon, if you haven't already done that. This is a painting on a rock down there were rock climbers head to. It's not a popular and very well known Colorado destination and an excellent getaway in the off season, plus being in the banana belt the weather is most often beautiful when it's a blowing blizzard in your neck of the woods. It'll take you maybe an hour & a half to get there from where your at. This painting of the blessed virgin I'm sure is much later then the late 18th-early 19th century, but could be a later rendition of what other in the past had seen in the area?

Attachments

• PenitenteCanyon_VirginNoMore_ISG_4.jpg
    PenitenteCanyon_VirginNoMore_ISG_4.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread