Couple of bottles found while metal detecting...

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
I found these two bottles last week while metal detecting an old campground, which had been a ranch prior to a campground. The small bottle was found on the surface, and the larger one came out of a hole I was digging where I found a piece of metal trash. It appeared as though I was digging in a dump pit of some sort, as there were other broken pieced of glass coming out of the ground where I pulled this bottle. It was not very deep, and all I had to dig with was my metal detecting digging tool, so I couldn't really dig out any more of the area to see what else might be there for bottles.

Anyways, if anyone can provide an approximate age on these two, that would be nice. They both have screw cap tops to them, but are somewhat interesting in their shapes.

IMG_0986.jpg

Here is the small one...

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

And here is the larger one...

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

The number on the bottom of the larger bottle looks like 1886. Are bottles ever dated? I'd be very surprised (but happy) if this bottle was from 1886 or thereabouts.

Thanks,

Jim

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Sorry, Jim, they're not all that old. I'd say mid-twentieth century . . . that is, 1950 +/- ten years. Screw-top condiment and relish jars are, more often than not, too recent to be of much collector interest.

Find a hole that's 50 years earlier, and you'll see that condiment and relish bottles looked like these:

picklespair7inch.jpg

caperstrio.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions