Couple of drilled and a Hoe

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Well I wanted to share my Gorget I found last year in Aug. I also found the drilled pottery which could be considered a repair hole but I ask you to look at the oval hole it displays. Rim is to the left and if it was a string or repair the hole should be round not oval. Then the last one which could be a Spade but it’s made from a thin piece of slate that is chipped or flaked. It could be a knife or even a big blade (preform) for a point. So you tell me what you think I’m up for suggestions. Yes the Gorget is broken on one side but I’m tickled to death to of been lucky enough to have found one for my collection.
NW Georgia PFs

Attachments

• 11370F5C-2E58-4C6F-A62E-17181BF45E5E.jpeg
    11370F5C-2E58-4C6F-A62E-17181BF45E5E.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 517AF6A2-6BA7-4C51-AAF5-90442BA6FB78.jpeg
    517AF6A2-6BA7-4C51-AAF5-90442BA6FB78.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 5
OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Wouldn’t let me post the pictures together

Attachments

• 70AADD5B-E8A7-4591-AD75-E2D0327E2A02.jpeg
    70AADD5B-E8A7-4591-AD75-E2D0327E2A02.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 72FF457B-69EF-4726-8B89-C1561C17CA3D.jpeg
    72FF457B-69EF-4726-8B89-C1561C17CA3D.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 60
  • F3B9C544-4659-43A0-BA0E-43D278B6E766.jpeg
    F3B9C544-4659-43A0-BA0E-43D278B6E766.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 63

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Wouldn’t let me post the pictures together
I’m not seeing the man made aspect to the dark one. I had a couple similar to these and was told they were “rocks”. Good luck with it. The other two are quite unique with designs and holes; not found every day.

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I wanted to share my Gorget I found last year in Aug. I also found the drilled pottery which could be considered a repair hole but I ask you to look at the oval hole it displays. Rim is to the left and if it was a string or repair the hole should be round not oval. Then the last one which could be a Spade but it’s made from a thin piece of slate that is chipped or flaked. It could be a knife or even a big blade (preform) for a point. So you tell me what you think I’m up for suggestions. Yes the Gorget is broken on one side but I’m tickled to death to of been lucky enough to have found one for my collection.
NW Georgia PFs
Very nice, I would be happy with that as well. đź‘Ť

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
nice finds

the broken gorge appears to be a broken expanded center gorget broken at the hole

the large black relic, in my view, could be a gorget preform.

after selecting the slate material the slate is flaked into rough shape. subsequently the blank could pecked into a more refined shape or the shaping using an abrasive material.

this looks like it was during the initial flaking and shaping phase to me.

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I’m not seeing the man made aspect to the dark one. I had a couple similar to these and was told they were “rocks”. Good luck with it. The other two are quite unique with designs and holes; not found every day.
On the dark one it was a creek find and to untrained eye or the picture it might be hard to see the bulb of percussion it has. Unfortunately I lost permission to that property before I could return and look for more. I did find many points and even a Celt in that section of the creek, thanks

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
nice finds

the broken gorge appears to be a broken expanded center gorget broken at the hole

the large black relic, in my view, could be a gorget preform.

after selecting the slate material the slate is flaked into rough shape. subsequently the blank could pecked into a more refined shape or the shaping using an abrasive material.

this looks like it was during the initial flaking and shaping phase to me.
That’s a refreshing outlook on the black one. I have found all types of hard stone in that creek but no Gorget. Upstream was a big campsite maybe a 8th of a mile and that piece could of very well washed down to where I found it.
I didn’t think the Gorget was missing much I do believe it’s Adena Culture due to the unifaced hole it displays. And it was a creek find also. All 3 pieces were found in 3 different creeks miles apart. Thanks for your insight and expertise

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Very nice, I would be happy with that as well. đź‘Ť
Thanks Mike it’s the first I’ve ever found. I read some believe they were worn in the hair and due to its small size (most are 6 inches in my are) it could of been worn in the hair. It’s made from Green Schist and is unifaced.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Love that Gorget! Narrow tapering in the hole but it’s there. Strange material to my eye. Could it be made of Steatite?
The pottery piece with the oval hole? Must be an explanation for that. Maybe the wear from hanging?
On the black piece, I like Dognose’s take.

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Love that Gorget! Narrow tapering in the hole but it’s there. Strange material to my eye. Could it be made of Steatite?
The pottery piece with the oval hole? Must be an explanation for that. Maybe the wear from hanging?
On the black piece, I like Dognose’s take.
When I found the Gorget it was stained brown from being in the creek for so long. I washed it and it was a lite green with black inclusions. After it dried out it turned silver. It feels grainy like schist but I’ve only found soapstone pieces they feel slick idk what Stealatite feels like but it could be. I didn’t wash the holes on purpose I left them dirty

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
When I found the Gorget it was stained brown from being in the creek for so long. I washed it and it was a lite green with black inclusions. After it dried out it turned silver. It feels grainy like schist but I’ve only found soapstone pieces they feel slick idk what Stealatite feels like but it could be. I didn’t wash the holes on purpose I left them dirty
I believe Steatite is a type of soap stone. Its a material that was used during the pre-ceramic period for bowl making in the Northeast.

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I believe Steatite is a type of soap stone. Its a material that was used during the pre-ceramic period for bowl making in the Northeast.
I compared it to a couple local guys and theirs were larger like 6 inches long. Both were made from the same material and were shaped like a Ganoe with the flat back not the normal shape and they told me it was Adena Culture. All were found in different areas of my area of NW Georgia. They said it was a schist. First schist artifact I’ve ever found. Thanks for the information

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread