These have to be reproductions

Cachefind09

Oct 31, 2010
Clark County Ohio
Same material, same size, same style sold by a reputable auction house. I have my doubts about authenticity. What is your opinion?

Upvote 5
OP
OP
C

Cachefind09

Oct 31, 2010
Clark County Ohio
I have to say they look legit to me, also Jim Bennett is a reputable guy...
Yes, Jim Bennett is reputable and the point looks legitimate which led me to actually bid on it as I am a bidder in all his auctions. The new one that is listed made me check to see if the point was relisted for the next auction. Just a head scratcher.

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
The physical type looks good. I found a very nice black one in Coshocton County as well. I'll post it if I can find the pics, it also has that slightly concave/convex bent knife edge . What bothers me is they "appear" pretty fresh, but even more, I've found a ton of Coshocton flint and rarely anything with that proliferation of rusty brown inclusions in it (although the photos may have enhanced it). I mean it comes in many colors and shades, but from my experience to have two of those both with those color inclusions that seem to be from the same stone is suspect IMHO.

Last edited:

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Most of what is in this frame, that isn't lightly colored is Cosocton.
20201126_095026.jpg
20201128_114804.jpg
20201203_072103.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cachefind09

Oct 31, 2010
Clark County Ohio
The physical type looks good. I found a very nice black one in Coshocton County as well. I'll post it if I can find the pics, it also has that slightly concave/convex bent knife edge . What bothers me is they "appear" pretty fresh, but even more, I've found a ton of Coshocton flint and rarely anything with that proliferation of rusty brown inclusions in it (although the photos may have enhanced it). I mean it comes in many colors and shades, but from my experience to have two of those both with those color inclusions that seem to be from the same stone is suspect IMHO.
The fact that these two are nearly identical is what has me questioning the authenticity. It looks like they were knapped by the same individual.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
like jim bennet or not, his auctions are one of the best in the business for authentic relics.

he is one who makes every effort to verify the integrity of his auctions.

I would have no hesitation to purchase from his auctions.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see where your coming from, the only place ive ever seen that brownish colored cosh is pieces for sale, ive never found a piece of it, hopefully thier legit...

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
just on general principles, I stay away from unbroken, perfect, extra long and thin points. Not saying they are repros... just saying I stay clear.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I don’t buy points, but I will say that those two points are not identical or perfect in a ‘repro’ way.
They could be legit and still made by the same hand, and made from the same source of material. It wouldn’t be outrageous for someone to find them together in a cache.
They are big, or on the very top of the size range for the type.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread