couple old garretts..neither working?

crusty metal

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
( garrett 2-D wide scan and garrett VLF coin hunter) They look almost the same, like the old master hunter. When your done shaking your head..can you tell me 'not' to trash these?..I bought these two (differant sellers) detectors off of *bay with the 'hopes' one might work for grandson. One has a thick pin-point co-axel coil which is interesting. first one only moves dial when do battery check. turning the volume on/off dial does nothing. nothing I do makes sound or gets needle to move except the battery check. This is on the VLF one. The Other one (D-2 wide span) when first turn same on/off sensitivity dial on it makes noise but burys needle..needle stays there and noise continues. If I turn it off..try again..then sometimes does nothing. but like first one..battery check works fine. Trading in for new one not option right now- I'm assuming these aren't worth sending in for repair. I got $150 in the pr so guess lesson learned. Would taking apart and cleaning help? Thanks.

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have to try to know. The only two downsides of taking one apart to look at it is (1) cancelling any warranty or (2) making it worse. From what you say, these should not count here. So I think I would look inside to see what might be going on. You may see signs of water damage. There may be a bad wire connection. Good luck with it.

OP
OP
C

crusty metal

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Grizzleebear- your right, I have nothing to loose. I'm out the cash either way so might as well take a look. After getting these I see a Tesoro silver here local for $149- that would have been great for grandson. Oh well..I'll see what I can do here and if total loss I'll look again when wallet affords it.

Apr 7, 2013
Kerrville, Tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey CM,
How old are the garretts in question? I happen to have a few of the old Garretts from the 70's. None were working when I got them, but all of them had loose wires and that's all. A little soldering and they all work ass well as they were intended to! Don't give up hope on them! Depending on how old they are, you can often figure out how to fix them. They are excellent machines for young enthusiasts to learn on! My son has inherited my oldest one, a 1972 Garrett Treasure Cache, and he loves it. Don't junk them!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions