Couple Scouting Missions, Old Button, IH, Strange Lead

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went on a very long hike yesterday morning. There's a guy that does some very interesting work with LIDAR image overlays on google maps. His work has identified some interesting shapes in a state owned area with history dating back into the early 1600s. This place is a very long hike....my kind of place :-). So off I went. I found a colonial button early on. Then an 1800s button. A few other buttons and an Indian head. Mind you I was just roaming around basically looking for something that might clue me in to a site. Sure enough right where he said there was some early stonework. Almost looked like an early fort or something. Much larger then a homestead. Then I also found a foundation hole. I found a very odd piece of lead with a point on it. Not sure what it is. Just looks like an impacted round ball on top. Right before I left I found a very deep button which I believe to be quite early. I will certainly be heading back when I have more time. There was activity in the area in the early and mid 1600s and obviously thru the 1800s
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 6

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're very due for a great site with a ton of digging. I can do the ton of digging on a regular basis, but getting much tougher to do it at an early site. That said, I can keep us busy on 1820s-1850s places so we'll likely just go with that this Fall and maybe get lucky and stumble into some early stuff along the way.

WilliamH

Dec 20, 2012
That is amazing to find an untouched site like that. I think I would have to do a camp/detecting trip. Good luck. Great finds. Love the comb. HH WH.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Abe - I love it when someone goes outside the box in an attempt to do some unique research to help put themselves on an early and undocumented site, and you've certainly done that. That pewter button with the long, stand-up shank is one of my favorites, and it may be pointing you in the right direction. Keep up the persistence and good things will come.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That first little button has a bigger shank than face! Great buttons.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like i said to you yesterday. .If you do the research, and then hike out and find something. .
You are really a hunter and deserve to find the great stuff...Thats what separates the boys (like me) from the men!!!
Ps...I love the pieces of spanish cedar! !!

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the "law of averages" along with doing the best research one can do. That's how its done Ahab... :3barsgold: That's my motto!

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you got another good site, can't wait to see what more you get from there. Nice finds! HH!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That old button looks like a reproduction of our reproductions we were finding at Vino's site, jk Nice work, I might need a motorcycle to get back to that one. Not sure I'm able to hang with you young wippersnappers, camping would maybe have to be a necessity if I walked miles in the woods. That day I hit the cellar hole I might have only done about a mile, it kicked my fat arse. I'm glad you found some old stuff, that pewter button is really cool along with those other buttons. Of course, you know I have a special place in my heart for Indian Heads.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's the overall adventure into a site I enjoy, the expectations of first laying eyes on the site and the first signals confirming that the research and mapping is a good thing. You managed to really confirm that there's been some good activity over a period of time with amount of buttons and targets, some sites just take a few visits to produce a sweet keeper for the effort. Well done on all levels of the hunt, and may the one special keeper be staring back at you from the hole on your next visit.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! This area has seen some of the earliest history in America. As far as recorded info the area I was in doesn't have much. But it's a nice spot that's protected from the severe weather and also would have made a lot of sense from a defensive position. If you can think logically about these things often times you can put yourself in an area with great potential that nobody else would have a reason to look at. My best sites have been random colonial hot spots with zero written history. Hopefully this is the next one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread