✅ SOLVED Couple things found in basement

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone!

First post on the forum. I'll make my way into the intro section, if there is one, after this to properly introduce myself.

I've been wanting to get into MDing for a long time but just haven't been able to pull the trigger on a unit. There are spots around my cottage I've been dying to detect but alas I just keep dragging my feet. Plus it's hard to commit the time as I have a 3 and 1 yo. Regardless I still like looking for treasure, history, or anything else interesting. So since I have no MD I was searching through stuff in the basement of our cottage and found a couple things which intrigued me. Actually I found a lot of stuff but only took pics of a bit of it.

The first item is what I'm calling a metal cross. I could not find any markings and have no clue what type of metal it is. It definitely had age on it and was located in box with items dating from 1800 to WW1. It's large, approx 2"x2", and weighs quite a bit. I can't imagine wearing it as a necklace. Not really concerned about it being valuable but the crown on the top had me interested. Anybody recognize the style or the symbols on it?

Front

metalcross2.jpg

Back

metalcross.jpg

The other item is what I'm assuming is a pipe. It seems very old and was found in the same box. It was in this case which I'm not sure was original with it. Looks like the "stem" was broken off. It appeared to be carved and I found no "machine tool" marks. There was no grain structure which I could determine. It was cold to the touch but warmed quickly in the hand. I don't have much dealing with either soapstone or ivory but those were my initial thoughts. I also thought that if it weren't a pipe it may have been a cigarette holder but just seemed odd. There was a lot of other tobacco related items in the area so I'm pretty sure it was a smoking device of some sort.

pipe.jpg

pipe2.jpg

Sorry for the poor pictures but I didn't have a lot of time. I'll definitely be going through everything with a fine tooth comb and will hopefully have something of interest to post. Appreciate any help that can be given!

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well your first item is a German military medal, known as an "Iron Cross."
I'm sure somebody here can tell exactly what class and war it was from (ww1 or ww2)
It was worn around the neck with a ribbon or pinned on, looks like somebody added the chain.

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cross is actually a replica of an Imperial German Iron Cross. If you Google WW1 EK1 Iron cross you'll see plenty of originals to compare it to. The pipe is definitely cool, hopefully someone can tell you ore about it.

Upvote 0

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some info on the Iron Cross.

Iron Cross

Iron Cross - New World Encyclopedia

Iron Cross - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your other object is a Meerschaum pipe, the stem may have been broken or just lost as most stems on Meerschaum pipes are removable for cleaning, the pipe is made from a mineral know as Sepiolite which is found in many forms, in it's solid form it's know as Meerschaum, which has been used for centuries to carve many types of objects and your pipe is one such object, a little bit of info..

Sepiolite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Meerschaum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Skip

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, thank you for the info. I figured I wasn't sitting on anything overly valuable. Now I have to finish sifting through the stuff and put together a find list. As this is all family belongings I'll now try to place who, how, when, why all this stuff came to be in the basement of our cottage. I'm already addicted to finding stuff and this is only the tip of the iceberg. Now to get a MD

Thanks again for helping me with this!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread