Couple Tips From A Returning Metal Head

PaulP_WestKY

Greenie
Aug 20, 2010
West Kentucky
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Hi All,

Great Forum! Unpacked the GTI 2500 after a few years in storage and a move from the Detroit area to far western rural Kentucky. Hitting the parks, schools, and other obvious spots in a couple local small towns here tells me there are other detectorists about and they are active. I'll be doing some research and hitting older sites up in Paducah and nearby in Land Between The Lakes [ http://www.lbl.org/ ] and down in Paris Landing where there should be some good chances for relics and older coins and jewelry. No such thing as a bad day detecting anyway, just days that let you know you need to try something new and learn a little more!

There is a turn of the last century old farmstead down the road that I just got permission to hunt. Should be good as the remains of the original house and outbuildings are still standing after a fashion far back on about a hundred acres and may be relatively untouched prior to now according to my neighbor who has owned the property for the last 35 years. The road is named after the family that lived there in the early 1900s.

Thought I'd share a couple tips that I've found useful:

For sites with tall grass/weeds that you want to go over in slow detail (like my ancient farmstead) and don't have to pack in too far to get to, lay down a three or four foot on a side square of heavy cardboard, like from a refrigerator box, which will flatten the grass totally and be easily penetrated by your detector's transmitted magnetic search field. This allows 'nape of the earth' searching to get deep in really tall grass.

My GTI 2500 pinpoints superbly with an all metal mode pinpoint function or by simply using a standard x pattern over the target tone. For some possible targets though I've found that it is handy to carry a couple small plastic game board chips that I can plop down on top of where I think the target might be while I try to zero in for sure.

Last but not least down here in KY where there are a great many small things hunting you as you are hunting coins and relics, always wear long pants and high white socks that you can securely tuck the bottoms of your pant legs into when out in the woods or any tall grass. Nothing is more distracting than a dozen or so large ticks steadily ascending your legs in search of a good place to stop for lunch!

HH

Paul P.

Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Nice post, Paul, and welcome back? to TNet, as likely a bunch of grass combers and sand scrapers as anywhere.

I liked your caution on the ticks, but would point out that ticks really like crawling up bushes and shrubs to hitch a ride in your getalong, too. Once in May along the Metolius River looking for morels, I happened to look under a picnic bench to see what might be lurking. I was much happier not knowing: there were easily 100 or more ticks eagerly waiting for a lunch of fresh blood. The local rabbits (or are those rabids?) were heavily infested, and some deer were seen being groomed by crows of their excess leechcraft. I know the NE is an especially heavy tick locale. Just thought I'd share there are other, pretty heavy populations as well.

Lyme disease quite common on the West coast, too.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the card board thing....

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I'd take sulfur tabs it it was that bad. I lived in a very thick tick area as a kid, and never got over the ewwww I felt when I found one on me, and I have had hundreds probably. You don't smell too good when you sweat with sulfur, but the ticks leave you alone. martin

OP
OP
PaulP_WestKY

PaulP_WestKY

Greenie
Aug 20, 2010
West Kentucky
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Thanks for the replies. Tuberale, you are spot on about ticks hanging out at head/neck height waiting to hitch a ride. I guess I'm so used to ducking to avoid those particular sneaky crawlers I omitted them from my post. Lyme disease is a real danger to be sure. Have a buddy who contracted it while bush-hogging. Dangers aside, HH to all.

Paul P.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread