Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dug both of these while curb hunting in a town where sidewalks were replaced a few years back, they were fairly shallow I assume they were stirred up during the sidewalk replacement. Any info on them would be great. I found the 1 cent token on Richards Database, looks like it is from celina Ohio, and I uploaded the heart token on the database, it was not on there yet...........either one rare at all?

Attachments

• 1 cent in trade token.JPG
    1 cent in trade token.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 341
  • good for milk token.JPG
    good for milk token.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 342

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
the ingle listing says the hendricks token is "meats". like a butcher i suppose. not a grocer, ingle lists them separately. more specific to butcher i'd say.

ingle listing also says celina, oh.

don't know value, rarity of them, but they are not common.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not common? so they may carry some value?

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
yes they have value.

your two tokens, to me, would be worth around $5 each as speculating to later resell or trade. but, finding the ohio state collector or a usa dairy or butcher token collector would know their specific value much more...perhaps over $20 each if they don't have it. if you find more than one collector that doesn't have it they can bid up the price.

the value lies in the number of collectors of the specific area of the token. if the majority of collectors have it already the price weakens.

when selling tokens---it's best, not necessarily easy though, to find someone collecting the category of token you have. numismatic collectors have to specialize in their collecting. you wouldn't believe how many "TOKENS" there are in the world. so we specialize in the different areas of interest. like i don't seek out butcher or dairy tokens---but the guys that do are more knowledgeable in that area. or another way of seeing it--a collector will pay more for what they have most interest in.

there is an IKO TAMS club. (IN.,KY.,OH.) look them up on the web find a contact that can direct you to an individual that knows tokens related to butchers, dairies, or state collector. generally token collectors are a 'good bunch' and are very helpful. we are all trying to add to our collection.

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
I still say that unlisted (not in Ohio Merchant Tokens 2nd ed.) dairy token is a good one, I wish I had the dairy token book to see if it's in there. The Celina token is not considered rare, but is nice. :icon_thumright: Keep on diggin'! I wish I could start finding some tokens. :(

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
The Celina dairy token is not listed in Reiter's Dairy Tokens book.
John in ID

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Hartzog and that guy in Maryland seem to be the biggest dealers
in token catalogs. David Schenkman or something like that. when i remember his name I'll check back to see if someone has posted it. He wrote the bi-metallic token catalog and several others himself. Last time I checked hartzog wanted over $50 for Reiter's Dairy token catalog. That would be for new and that would be issue price.
Few people could afford to buy all the token catalogs for even their own area but a good size club should consider buying them for the club lending library. Charge the members a "look up" fee to create a kitty for other token catalog purchases and eventually you will have them all. While on topic I also recommend that the clubs get an earlier edition of the United states trade token before 1900 catalog of russell rulau. It incorporates the hard times tokens listings and the civil war token listings and would save the clubs a bunch of money. Prices will also be more up to date than those in the out of print originals. siegfried schlagrule

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
Hartzog and that guy in Maryland seem to be the biggest dealers
in token catalogs. David Schenkman or something like that. when i remember his name I'll check back to see if someone has posted it. He wrote the bi-metallic token catalog and several others himself. Last time I checked hartzog wanted over $50 for Reiter's Dairy token catalog. That would be for new and that would be issue price.
Few people could afford to buy all the token catalogs for even their own area but a good size club should consider buying them for the club lending library. Charge the members a "look up" fee to create a kitty for other token catalog purchases and eventually you will have them all. While on topic I also recommend that the clubs get an earlier edition of the United states trade token before 1900 catalog of russell rulau. It incorporates the hard times tokens listings and the civil war token listings and would save the clubs a bunch of money. Prices will also be more up to date than those in the out of print originals. siegfried schlagrule
The Dayton Diggers library contains Rulau's trade tokens before 1900, Ohio Merchant Tokens, WV coal scrip, all other states coal scrip, lumber co. scrip. canadian tokens, transportation tokens, world coins and several other catalogues of exonumia and artifacts. I also have many county atlases, histories, directories and maps. A well stocked library is very important.
Thanks, Steve

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
You're well on your way. siegfried schlagrule

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread