Cow Killer

Tn Gizmo

Sep 4, 2007
Moss, Tn.
Detector(s) used
Compass 77B ; whites 6000D ; Garrett Master Hunter CX w/Treasure Hound (two box); Minelab Exp. II
This is a "Velvet Ant" or "Cow Killer" found running across the yard today. I have seen photos of them before but this is the first live one I have seen. Some internet facts:

Common Name: Red velvet ant or "cow killer"
Scientific Name: Dasymutilla occidentalis (Linnaeus)
Order: Hymenoptera
Description: These insects are wasps, not ants. Females are wingless and covered with dense hair, superficially resembling ants. The red velvet-ant is the largest velvet-ant species, reaching about 3/4 inch in length. They are black overall with patches of dense orange-red hair on the thorax and abdomen. Males are similar but have wings and can not sting.
Life Cycle: Females seek the immature stages of ground-nesting bees, digging to the nesting chambers and eating a hole through the cocoon. She deposits and egg on the host larva, which soon hatches into a white legless grub. The immature velvet-ant eats the host larva, developing through several larval stages before forming a pupa.
Habitat, Food Source(s), Damage: Mouthparts are for chewing. Lone females can be found crawling on the ground, particularly in open sandy areas. Adults are most common during the warm summer months. Larvae are solitary, external parasites of developing bumble bees.
Pest Status: The common name, "cow killer," is thought to describe the painful sting these insects can inflict to man and animals, although it is doubtful that many cows are actually stung.

Attachments

• DSC05595.jpg
    DSC05595.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 9,904
  • DSC05606.jpg
    DSC05606.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 5,470

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have something like that here in TX.,but it's more red than orange.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Cool pic. I saw one yesterday. Those buggers are tough too, you can stomp them like crazy and they don't squish. Grab his rear with needle-nose pliers and squeeze a little. A HUGE menacing looking stinger will pop out.

OP
OP
Tn Gizmo

Tn Gizmo

Sep 4, 2007
Moss, Tn.
Detector(s) used
Compass 77B ; whites 6000D ; Garrett Master Hunter CX w/Treasure Hound (two box); Minelab Exp. II
allen said:
I hope he didnt make it much farther !

I set it free after taking the photo...I usually don't catch the insects I photograph but this one was so different I caught it in a container, it was moving so much I had to put it the refrigerator long enough to slow it down. Figured she had suffered enough after all of that, so I sent her on her merry way.

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
I seem to have an infestation of them on my property, we have them everywhere around here. Some people just dont believe they are a female wingless wasp

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, just learned something new :thumbsup:

I have never come across one of them, first time seeing one.

From what I read I hope I never do :laughing7:

F

Felinepeachy

Tn Gizmo said:
allen said:
I hope he didnt make it much farther !

I set it free after taking the photo...I usually don't catch the insects I photograph but this one was so different I caught it in a container, it was moving so much I had to put it the refrigerator long enough to slow it down. Figured she had suffered enough after all of that, so I sent her on her merry way.

You are such a sweetie
phil_45.gif

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
You can stomp on these things and they will not die. They will even let our a screeching noise when you try to stomp them. You have to get them on a hard surface and basically roll your boot back and forth on them to dispatch them properly.

F

Felinepeachy

OR.............. you could just leave them alone and let them go on with their life. They are solitary. They don't run around in groups.

F

Felinepeachy

markjamerson said:
In Texas they are called cow ants and they are tough and they bite lol but are very pretty for a ant.

I think they're pretty too ;D

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Growin up in Oklahoma we called them cow ants too, and we ran away from them. I don't know anybody that was bit or stung by one, but we always believed the outcome would be fatal or close to it. Good pics.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
warning DO NOT GET BIT BY ONE * - THEIR NOT CALLED "COW KILLERS" FER NOTHING YOU KNOW. :crybaby2:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I was a kid we called them horse killers, and running over them with a bike had no effect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread