May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cow Pasture Field - PILGRIM'S AMPULLA...

I did 3 hours on my own in the rain today.
I was enjoying digging deep signals, mainly very old lead, & I thought to myself, 'I think there should be an ampulla in here'. Well yesterday I thought it might of been a gold ring but I got that guess wrong, so gridded on. 45 minutes later I had a signal at over 13inches, the soil was changing colour, so I thought I had gone too deep & missed it on the edge. Nope it was 13 inches plus on the edge of the soil change & there it was an odd shaped bit of lead. Oh another piece of lead I thought, then it struck me - 14th C Pilgrim's Ampulla.(Vessel for carry Holy Water from the Shrine)
To think that over 600 years ago a peasant farmer left his Villiage (which was probably the first & only time the Lord of the Manor let him outside the Villiage) & travelled by foot (normally) to a Shrine in Caterbury or Wallsingham on a Pilgrimage. The Holy water he brought back would have blessed the ridge & farrow land he farmed & this item was buried & it only came to light when my Deus reached down into the 14th C layer!

Fleur-de-lis brass mount - 18th C?
Β£3.40 ($5.24) Coin Spill - I think its my most change in one hole.
Mystery broken 2 armed object (once had 3 arms)
1965 Bird Ring
Bits

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Upvote 7

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You always come up with interesting stuff. Finally the ground is thawed and I can go back to my 17th century site tomorrow. I'm going through withdraw!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking Ampulla Cru, they're usually dune in by the ploughs. Is your referred to as a scallop type? Your getting good depth with the machine.

I found one about 5 years ago that was complete and pretty good shape also considering it came out of the ploughed fields.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very deep again and well worth digging! A nice one! Much better isn't possible! :icon_thumleft:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent hunt!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEAUTIFUL condition on that ampulla. One good find like that makes the hunt a big success!

Do these lead containers still contain water?

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are such a personal kind of relic to find - and as you pointed out the story line is pretty clear behind it - the shell design going
back to earliest Christian symbolism is about baptism . Super cool find ! (especially to find it during the penitential season of Lent !!!)
Most likely the the pilgrimage with this very piece took place either sometime during Lent or most likely Holy Week ! Your timing was
impeccable !!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEAUTIFUL condition on that ampulla. One good find like that makes the hunt a big success!

Do these lead containers still contain water?

No, they carried the water home & pored it on the ground, so the vessel was only disposed when the contents was empty.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest: