May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a medieval field that has never been ploughed since the ridge & furrow. I wanted to return with my new custom settings & go over a better area thats been done by the XP GMP. I only spent 2 hours 15 minutes on my own but I really impressed with the Deus responses.
There isn't anything quite like digging items from where they have been tombed & cracking open that mud shell & seeing the item for the first time in hundreds of years. In some ways I enjoy this type of deep grass digging more than ploughed land.
The coppers were ringing out so loud & clear, you might have thought they were half can lids at 3 inches instead of 10 inches. I dug one halfpenny at 12" plus.
Funny enough my first banging hit was the 1696 Shilling at 8 inches. (hard to find period!)

17th C-18th C Pastry Jigger Wheel
18th C Spur piece
Tudor period buckles - I now know many of these spectacle types came off of Medieval leather boots, at least 4-5 ran up the side of each leg. I saw them at a living History Fair, & the more money you had the more buckles had.
1941 .303 Cartridge (WWII)
No.79 Spike from a Railway Line
18th C Blowhole Button
Interesting deep find - A piece of bronze with a rolled copper nail in it. These sheet metal nails are still unidentified (in terms of there use), so this is an important piece of evidence of at least one of the uses, although still not clear as to it's function.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 167
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 710
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Upvote 21
Congrats on all the great finds, that 1696 Shilling is beautiful as well as the assortment of buckle. WTG on all the saves.

Wow! That shilling's from the same time Peter the Great was ruling Russia!

Excellent Finds! The Shilling coin is fantastic!

Cheers on the Shilling !!! The buckles are visually so interesting - they really look the period .

I'm calling a petition to prevent crusader from getting any more banners. His finds are just too ridiculous. You've been killing for so long man. Nice finds!

Nice one Cru! I've only dug 2 milled British silver coins (pre-1800). One was a 1745 counterfeit shilling found in my first serious year of detecting almost 20 years ago, and a year or so later I first broke into the 1600s with a coin exactly like yours except it was a 1697. And almost 15 years and 150 colonial silver coins later I still have not dug another one of these. But they should be much harder to find over here due to the restrictions on importing silver coinage into the colonies during that period.

Last edited:
A Halfpenny at 12"? Not bad i say.... :laughing7:

What amazed me was it sounded like 2 inches, I'm getting more confident with the Deus & looking forward to this year!

Nice one Cru! I've only dug 2 milled British silver coins. One was a 1745 counterfeit shilling found in my first serious year of detecting almost 20 years ago, and a year or so later I first broke into the 1600s with a coin exactly like yours except it was a 1697. And almost 15 years and 150 colonial silver coins later I still have not dug another one of these. But they should be much harder to find over here due to the restrictions on importing silver coinage into the colonies during that period.

Other than Will III lovetokens (Sixpences), I'm unlikely to get another coin of this period this year. (maybe 1 other, if lucky)

Amazing William, the only William I found is copper. Nice variety of coins and relics.
Coinman123☠

Very nice shilling and buckles Cru. I've only dug one shilling and it was seriously worn.

Great to hear that your liking the detector, and going back to a site like this must be opening your eyes even more with what the machine is capable of doing.

Very nice shilling and buckles Cru. I've only dug one shilling and it was seriously worn.

Great to hear that your liking the detector, and going back to a site like this must be opening your eyes even more with what the machine is capable of doing.

Most machines I have every used will only pull out 18th C from non-ploughed land. The Deus not only gets to the 16th-17th C but I got a Roman coin from this land as well! That is an eye opener.

I like the pastry wheel too, we forget what kind of foods were eaten back then

I like the pastry wheel too, we forget what kind of foods were eaten back then

Yes, its much more detailed than most of the other 18-19th C types I have found.

Looking at your finds makes me cry...
I hope you like making grown men weep.
I am jealous.

HEH ! nice scores

Wow 1696!, that's great, awesome find!

Good shilling Cru, as you say not every day finds. Getting depth like that, can only bode well for future finds (some where, there's an hoard, with your name on):thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back