Cowen, Webster County Hidden Loot

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Perry CONNOLLY was born 1836 in Kanawha Co., VA. He died 4 Jan 1862.

This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
Classification: Query
Message Board URL:
http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/lEC.2ACI/122.185.188.1
Message Board Post:
Perry Connolly is buried at Cowen, Webster County on a farm located on John Goff road just outside of Cowen. My Ancestor Alexander Benjamin "Alex" Goff & and his friend Jacob Phillip Starcher who both served with Perry Connolly in the Moccasin Rangers moved to near Cowen just after the Civil War. The Moccasin Rangers stayed here alot in and around Cowen during the war, because most of its Citizens were very loyal to the Confederacy. And they gave food and shelter to those in the Moccasin Rangers who was being hunted down by the "Snake Hunters" who was ordered to trck them down. They once ambushed a Union supply wagon at Birch River, and took the loot up the river 8 miles from Cowen, in the loot was the Payroll for Union Soldiers. They instructed to two soldiers to take the strong box up a Hollar and hide it in a good place, and they would continue up the river to draw the Yankes away from them and they would meet them later. Well, the two men hiding the payroll was sho!
t and killed, but they were able to get the strong box hdden before they were killed. They hid it so well that neither the Yankee soldiers chasing them or the Moccasin Rangers could find the Strong box. And it is said that was why my Ancestor moved to Webster County. But him and everybody else has never been able to find that strong box.
Source:http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/WVCALHOU/2002-11/1037344392

CONNOLLY, 935
Perry Connolly...23...Kanawha...Farmer
Lucinda...25...Tazewell Co., VA
Caroline...3...Calhoun
James P...1...Calhoun
Source: Calhoun County Census, 1860
Population schedules of the Eighth Census of the United States, 1860, Roll 1340.
Transcribed by Linda Cunningham Fluharty from National Archives Microcopy No. M653. Online at: http://www.rootsweb.com/~wvcalhou/60cen.htm

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
That dang Digginman (Bobby) informs me that once again I have placed a post in the wrong Virginia and that after the Civil War Cowan is actually in West Virginia....I cant keep track of whats where in Virginia so I am leaving it here, because if I move it I will confuse myself....

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Well...now we know why no one found it....they are all in Virginia asking where Cowan is......

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
Gypsy Heart said:
Well...now we know why no one found it....they are all in Virginia asking where Cowan is......

laugh2.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions