Cracked planchet or lamination error nickel?

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still finishing my nickel box I got for the wknd and so far it's looking like a skunk but I did find a couple of interesting possible error coins a little while ago. One coin looks like perhaps either a cracked planchet or lamination error 1947 nickel. And I also found a decent condition '71D nic w/steps that I noticed for some reason has the last o of Monticello filled in - have u guys ever noticed a nic like that before? If that's an error coin I don't even know what its called. :icon_scratch:

Maybe neither coin is much of a find but any thoughts or opinions on either coin would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 47 nic cracked planchet error 5-9-14.jpg
    47 nic cracked planchet error 5-9-14.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 475
  • 71D nic error rev 5-9-14.jpg
    71D nic error rev 5-9-14.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 0

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi SF, I do mostly nickels and have seen my share of lamination errors, which is what the one on the left looks like to me, though I admit I couldn't pick a cracked planchet out of a line-up due to the fact that errors as a rule don't interest me, especially when they make the coin look ugly. As far as the filled "o" in "Monticello", it has to be a well placed cud or grease on the die--probably grease on the die, IMHO. But anyone feel free to correct me, please, as this is always a learning process for me...

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi SF, I do mostly nickels and have seen my share of lamination errors, which is what the one on the left looks like to me, though I admit I couldn't pick a cracked planchet out of a line-up due to the fact that errors as a rule don't interest me, especially when they make the coin look ugly. As far as the filled "o" in "Monticello", it has to be a well placed cud or grease on the die--probably grease on the die, IMHO. But anyone feel free to correct me, please, as this is always a learning process for me...

The first one could be a lam. The filled "O" would be a die "chip", not cud. Cuds are on the rim only.

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys. I was in my LCS earlier today to try and sell a 1934A $100 bill I got from my dump bank last week and I brought these two coins with me. The guy I spoke to said he thought the first coin was a lamination error. I also brought that '71D half dollar (pic below) with me that I found on the first of the month that I finally figured was probably just PMD from another coin somehow but the guy at the coin shop actually thought it was a mint error. I cant remember if he said maybe it might be a die clash...or something like that. He pointed out that some of the damage looked like it was underneath the letter T.

He said the coins I showed him were worth holding onto but he didn't really seem to be too interested in any of the coins too much. It seems if its not something listed in the cherry pickers guide then the guys at my LCS don't consider an error or variety type coin to have much monetary value. But if that '71D half is a mint error, I wonder if it might actually have some collectible value. :dontknow:

Attachments

• 71D half error close up 5-1-14.jpg
    71D half error close up 5-1-14.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 422

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread