Cracked Spencer Cases

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday 1-12-14 I dug several complete Spencer Cartridges & on a few of them there are cracks running down the length of the case .

Is there any way to make them stronger maybe a clear coat or something ?

Just need something to hold them together better in the future.
( they prob, would break if dropped from an inch or two onto a hard surface.

Thanks Davers

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who was saying to use elmers glue on button cracks? I wonder if the inside was done it might hold it for display?

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Response

Who was saying to use elmers glue on button cracks? I wonder if the inside was done it might hold it for display?

I believe Elmers Glue was mentioned during the ( latest "Banner" Button post) ,referring to
sealing pewter & other buttons. ( if I recall correctly).

To make my ? more clear .
I,m asking about Spencer or Henry Type Cartridges that are whole but have cracks in the cases
example- If you mishandled them or dropped them on a table or something they would crack / break open.

Tho I do have one ,that,s cracked right in half from when I dropped the container it was in on the garage floor after returning from a dig.
& maybe another 1 or two that were broke during excavation , that may benefit from the glue treatment.

I,m sure with a little thought & trying anything is possible,...Hey maybe J.B. Weld on the ones broken in two :icon_scratch:
Thanks for the reply Tmts.
Davers

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that I asked this Question Before.

I suppose some experimenting is in my future.
Davers

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ME
You can use some type of clear coat 9[ pref, matte] & either dip or spray them, it may take 1 or more coats
whatever you prefer.
I would also use some blue painters tape around the bullet itself cause I don't care for shiny bullets .
This method works very well..
Davers

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COOL!

Thanks for the info , I been trying to fig out the best method to do this for over a year now.

Ill get to it ASAP..:thumbsup:

Davers:laughing7:

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Works Very Well...
I'm Very Happy with the Results..

Now I have to do about 10 more.

Ill be done in about 3 years.

Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread