May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been my understanding that you're supposed to report all artifacts found that are 400yrs or older to the coroner? If so, why the coroner of all people? (treasure, not bones or burial sites)
Wrong I'm afraid.
To paraphrase, its objects over 300 years old with 10% or more gold or silver content that have to be declared(so 99% of my finds I do not have to declare) to the coroner with 14 days. (of realising) This doesn't include single gold or silver coins but does include 2 or more in close proximity. There are several other slants to the Act but that's the jist of it.
It's done to the coroner, usually via the FLO because they are the legal rubber stamp.

Human Bones you are meant to report to the Police immediately.(Completely different Law)

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, I don't think I've ever seen one either.

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic. Can't help but ask, any idea on the value of something like that?

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrong I'm afraid.
To paraphrase, its objects over 300 years old with 10% or more gold or silver content that have to be declared(so 99% of my finds I do not have to declare) to the coroner with 14 days. (of realising) This doesn't include single gold or silver coins but does include 2 or more in close proximity. There are several other slants to the Act but that's the jist of it.
It's done to the coroner, usually via the FLO because they are the legal rubber stamp.

Human Bones you are meant to report to the Police immediately.(Completely different Law)

Thanks for sorting that out.

OP
OP
M

MisterTell

Dec 30, 2012
Tromso
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Xp-Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much to all who voted banner....
I have already been in contact with the museum, but I don`t know yet if there is an archaeological excavation, but expect I know more during the week.
In Norway, all finds older then 1537 are the property of the state and must therefore be handled in to the museum, 1650 is the year of coins.

This find was made 2-3 meters from the road, that's why you can hear cars drive by in my video..:laughing7:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on making the banner.

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to see your finds make it to the banner, kind of a no-brainer for two of the most unique finds I've seen posted. Museum pieces for sure. Congratulations, what a thrill

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds with so much history! Thank you for sharing them with us!

Steve

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much to all who voted banner....
I have already been in contact with the museum, but I don`t know yet if there is an archaeological excavation, but expect I know more during the week.
In Norway, all finds older then 1537 are the property of the state and must therefore be handled in to the museum, 1650 is the year of coins.

This find was made 2-3 meters from the road, that's why you can hear cars drive by in my video..:laughing7:

Old road . I Bet.
Super nice historical finds you made , & even if you can not keep them ,it sounds like many will enjoys seeing them in the future. I hope.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wild find
Congrats

rainorshine

Oct 6, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Others have hinted at it but the question still stands. What exactly did vikings have keys for?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely Incredible. Now what would a lock those keys were for look like?

Digginutah

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find and thanks for sharing, it lead me to study a little about the important role of women in Viking society. It seems these keys are often found in the graves of women. Again amazing.

OP
OP
M

MisterTell

Dec 30, 2012
Tromso
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Xp-Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much everyone...

The Vikings had a variety of keys and locks, including padlock.
There are also a number of written sources, which tell about the importance of the keys, the housewife who carried the keys was the manager of the farm, and therefore had the highest rank on the farm, her man was the boss outside the houses / farm.
In the saga it is told that the God "Thor" who had lost the hammer Mjølner, to get it back he had to dress up like a woman, and it was mentioned that he had to wear keys at the hip.
In graves you will find keys most often in women's graves, but sometimes also with men, without we fully knowing the meaning of this.
Most of the Viking key are quite simple but solid keys without too much decor, this kind of key I found is high status keys that are richly decorated and really pretty slim, possibly these have been more symbolic and decorative instead for use ?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much everyone...

The Vikings had a variety of keys and locks, including padlock.
There are also a number of written sources, which tell about the importance of the keys, the housewife who carried the keys was the manager of the farm, and therefore had the highest rank on the farm, her man was the boss outside the houses / farm.
In the saga it is told that the God "Thor" who had lost the hammer Mjølner, to get it back he had to dress up like a woman, and it was mentioned that he had to wear keys at the hip.
In graves you will find keys most often in women's graves, but sometimes also with men, without we fully knowing the meaning of this.
Most of the Viking key are quite simple but solid keys without too much decor, this kind of key I found is high status keys that are richly decorated and really pretty slim, possibly these have been more symbolic and decorative instead for use ?

Great history lesson MisterTell. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread