Cracking the Huaca.

Huaquero

Tenderfoot
Oct 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings. I am hoping to get advice on what is the best equipment to use to locate gold items at the bottom of a huaca. The huaca is an average of 3 meters deep. The gold items were placed(typically)in a dinner plate pattern. The soil is the most heavily mineralized in the world. Volcanic. Iron and copper deposits galore. The makers of the huaca did not use ladders or ropes. They used ramps. Any advice?

Regards

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Greetings. I am hoping to get advice on what is the best equipment to use to locate gold items at the bottom of a huaca. The huaca is an average of 3 meters deep. The gold items were placed(typically)in a dinner plate pattern. The soil is the most heavily mineralized in the world. Volcanic. Iron and copper deposits galore. The makers of the huaca did not use ladders or ropes. They used ramps. Any advice?

Regards

For those that don't know, a "hauca" is like a pyramaid (in a smaller scale, of course).

oK, Hauquero, I think you are caught up in superstition, and have watched "raiders of the lost ark" one-too-many times. But to answer your question, a detector that goes "3 meters deep" (that's about 10 ft.), doesn't exist (unless your'e talking objects the size of volkswagons or refrigerators). So I guess the answer to your question is: Bulldoze the things down to 2.5 meters (8-ish feet scraped off), then break out the standard detectors. Or two-box unit if you anticipate objects the size of soda-can/dinner plate or larger.

Good luck.

OP
OP
H

Huaquero

Tenderfoot
Oct 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the reply and advice. Cant use bulldozers where I am going. Shovel and pick only. You recommended a two-box? Would that still work in that kind of soil?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thank you for the reply and advice. Cant use bulldozers where I am going. Shovel and pick only. You recommended a two-box? Would that still work in that kind of soil?

Is your objects going to be the size of refrigerators or volkswagons? If not, re-read what I wrote: No detector exists that's going to go 10 ft. deep ("3 meters"), unless you're talking objects of immense size. Yes, I knew that bringing in a bulldozer is out of the question on the site. I was saying that in jest, to show the futility of thinking you were going to find a detector to go 10 ft. deep.

A 2-box unit will get a microwave oven sized object to perhaps 5 ft. (~ 2 meters). A soda can to perhaps 2 ft., a dinner plate sized object to perhaps 3 ft.

There's actually a good argument that ........ in the case of soda can or dinner plate sized objects, that standard machines (when used with very big coils) can get every bit as deep as 2-box units. However, if your goal is STRICTLY large objects (and you don't want to be bothered with pesky small stuff), then the 2-box is the way to go.

If you're talking about objects larger than dinner plates, then at that point, 2-box units get those deeper than standard detectors. But in no case is any machine going to go 10 ft. deep, unless you're talking immense items.

Maybe someone can talk about high tech units bottle diggers use.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Huaquero

Tenderfoot
Oct 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, thank you for your reply. I am not experienced with electronics(yet). Do these coil or 2 box detectors have difficulty in that kind of soil? Heavy mineral soil. Even if I were to be able to get the bulldozer I have heard that those kinds of detectors would have difficulty in those kind of soil conditions. What about long range locators?

Thanks

P.S. In Panama, Costa Rica and Nicaragua the Men that dig up Tombs and Indian gold call themselves Huaqueros. Never heard about the piramids.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Again, thank you for your reply. I am not experienced with electronics(yet). Do these coil or 2 box detectors have difficulty in that kind of soil? Heavy mineral soil. Even if I were to be able to get the bulldozer I have heard that those kinds of detectors would have difficulty in those kind of soil conditions. What about long range locators?

Thanks

P.S. In Panama, Costa Rica and Nicaragua the Men that dig up Tombs and Indian gold call themselves Huaqueros. Never heard about the piramids.

the more mineralize a soil type is, the more difficulty any detector will have in penetrating/depth. But to get to where a detector is "useless", is very rare indeed (utterly black nasty stuff, that I doubt your soil is THAT bad). To test the soil type, you can just take a standard detector, to see how well it does on smaller objects in the ground (individual coins, pulltabs, etc...). If you have no problem finding them at regular depths of ~6" , then no, you do not have ground that is impenetrable with detectors of any sort.

No, do not fall for the snake-oil of "long range locators".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread