Cracks thinner then paper?

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gentlemen not just once but 3 times my brother has found cracks so thin that they can barely be seen and upon breaking it at the fracture and removing it was wowed with a wall sprinkled with gold. no pyrite no quartz and little very little blacksand. almost always flour gold but in the one crack we call "third of an ounce" not only flour gold was present but thin flakes and even a .4 of a gram picker. though how it got in their I am not totally sure. "third of an ounce" was followed for 4 inches in lengths and about 3 inches down. Though after the first inch down gold was not present in any paying form. this rock beining Andestite makes it a real pain to work with handtools but anyway I am having a very hard time following these veins and what could be some of the reasons for the sudden stop in gold. Even though "third of an ounce" was found very close to the bank of the river and spends a good amount of time underwater I have a hard time believing this is just gold that has been redeposited. Am I wrong in thinking so. And why is it these deposits seem to have no rhyme or reason? I' have spent alot of time trying to figure this out and any help will be of use

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The questions you ask are universal and have a simple answer. Whenever cracks in the bedrock of an auriferous area are underwater, they will fill with sediments flowing in the water. Gold, being heaviest, will settle into the tiniest of cracks and stay there. ALWAYS check the cracks in and just above the mean water levels! TTC

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The questions you ask are universal and have a simple answer. Whenever cracks in the bedrock of an auriferous area are underwater, they will fill with sediments flowing in the water. Gold, being heaviest, will settle into the tiniest of cracks and stay there. ALWAYS check the cracks in and just above the mean water levels! TTC

TerryC Thankyou but I have a hard time believing that is always the case. So these thin cracks are just cemented deposits of current or older river. Terry I am still working a crack and I have noticed more gold on the down river side then upriver but I am also wondering why all the gold seems to be stuck on the wall on just one side. I have gotten about 5 grams 3.5 of them on the down river side of the crack. the crack runs paralell with the river.I have been hammering away a little every time I go by and am almost completly have the crack exposed and will be trying to see if I can get deeper. anyway I have heard of cracks so thin that have been folded,twisted ect by the earth and this is where I am at a loss. I having hardtime to understand and find info..I.ve heard these deposits are very rich and often the gold veins are very irrattic. Where me and my brother pulled a third of an ounce the rock is extremly hard and almost every fracture has gold content but sampling all sides and all exposed areas 20-30 feet above the water still has good gold.It's to hard and to time consuming to break with handtools so I was hoping to narrow down my selection of cracks. Thankyou every peice of info helps.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe the most ancient of channels run often times the opposite direction of modern day channels. This would explain the scenario you are describing. Perhaps the same geological event that changed the course of the channel, could be what closed this cracks up so tight, and sealing the material up.. Maybe this could help in opening these cracks
What is Dexpan Non-Explosive Demolition Agent? | www.Dexpan.com

TerryC Thankyou but I have a hard time believing that is always the case. So these thin cracks are just cemented deposits of current or older river. Terry I am still working a crack and I have noticed more gold on the down river side then upriver but I am also wondering why all the gold seems to be stuck on the wall on just one side. I have gotten about 5 grams 3.5 of them on the down river side of the crack. the crack runs paralell with the river.I have been hammering away a little every time I go by and am almost completly have the crack exposed and will be trying to see if I can get deeper. anyway I have heard of cracks so thin that have been folded,twisted ect by the earth and this is where I am at a loss. I having hardtime to understand and find info..I.ve heard these deposits are very rich and often the gold veins are very irrattic. Where me and my brother pulled a third of an ounce the rock is extremly hard and almost every fracture has gold content but sampling all sides and all exposed areas 20-30 feet above the water still has good gold.It's to hard and to time consuming to break with handtools so I was hoping to narrow down my selection of cracks. Thankyou every peice of info helps.

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus those most ancient of channels were lifted out of the water and shoved almost totally vertical from what they were in many places originally. I've pulled many nuggets out of the now vertical cracks of the ancient channel and most of them had a reddish tint to them also.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Plus those most ancient of channels were lifted out of the water and shoved almost totally vertical from what they were in many places originally. I've pulled many nuggets out of the now vertical cracks of the ancient channel and most of them had a reddish tint to them also.
The reddish tint is iron oxide (rust). Iron sulfide is iron pyrite. Both are common in auriferous areas. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread