Craigslist As A Resource?!

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
see lots of posts... cant think people would contact a total stranger and invite them onto their property to take their things LOL

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
One thing Craig's list is good for is selling inexpensive detectors, say up to $150. Many potential buyers are people who've thought about detecting for years. One might team up with this person, offer assistance learning the detector if wanted.

Or just suggest going out detecting together. They & the people they know could possibly know of a not well known potential hotspot, or may have an in with a person who supervises places that are normally off limits.

Or if you want permission to detect peoples yards, you might have to offer them half the finds. If they don't amount to much they'll probably say keep them. You can offer to remove litter, return any personal possessions, etc.

Perhaps best could be offering to locate personal metal items with monetary or sentimental value, for small fee or coins found. Best wishes, George (MN)

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes in fact I have had success by running ads on CL for spots to hunt, and yes people do contac me. During the detecting season, I run my ad once a week on there and I get people to email me and they are curious what their property holds. there are posts on here somewhere talking about it, because I originally got the idea here about 2 years ago........

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have run ads on Craigslist looking for property to detect and have had people email me to come out to their place and detect.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had success by browsing the lost and found ads. Many of the houses that I have looked for a lost earing or ring turn out to be older homes and they always give permission to detect.

I also run the following ad in the lost and found section:

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/laf/2126782842.html

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
I have had success by browsing the lost and found ads. Many of the houses that I have looked for a lost earing or ring turn out to be older homes and they always give permission to detect.

I read your ad and I noticed it said no recovery no fee......what do you charge them if you do find their lost item?

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Goes4ever said:
Neil in West Jersey said:

I read your ad and I noticed it said no recovery no fee......what do you charge them if you do find their lost item?

I don't have a set fee. I leave it up to them. I have gotten $25 from some people and as much as $200 from others. If I don't find it usually they will still give $10 or $20 bucks.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow that is great! I returned one gold class ring and I didn't even get a thank you! It left a real sour taste in my mouth, I returned it to the mother of the daughter who lost it (current class ring) and the mother went on a major rant about how her daughter did not even tell her she lost it, and just wait till she gets home, blah, blah, blah.....all this time I was waiting for a simple thank you for returning a $400 gold ring to her and not a single kind word for me returning it. It is people like that that makes people NOT want to find owners of lost items. Really sad.....I mean I could have took it to a pawn shop and sold it for gold melt, but I did the right thing and located the owner. Too bad some people are so sour.

OP
OP
goonie1day

goonie1day

Jan 6, 2011
Lynchburg Va.
Detector(s) used
MXT w/ Sunray DX-1 probe. D2 and 12" Super Coil, 6" DD, Teknetics T2 LTD 10X12 SEF and a Propointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well with a little persistence. I now have 2 mid 1800's farms and land that once housed a brothel in the late 1800's. I guess people will contact a total stranger! I think its all in how you write it.

I use...

Hi, I am a metal detecting hobbyist. I am looking for a few places to detect. Mainly older homes and properties built before the 1950’s, abandoned houses or land that used to have a house or other activity on it. Or your knowledge to where some places might be. Old yards, farm houses, woods, fields ect., always produce a few interesting finds. I am not in this for profit, it’s the thrill of the hunt which makes this hobby so rewarding! I also have a 7 year old son who loves to follow dad around with his detector.

I am very experienced and I always respect the property I'm on. My recovery techniques leave the ground virtually undisturbed. You will be surprised at what was lost over the years on old properties. Perhaps you lost something and would like it back? Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
Found a girls class ring in 2001 (the year it was issued) at a local beach. It was a out of town school so my wife contacted the school and they had the girl contact me.

When she called I told her I had found her ring and she was welcome to come and get it. I wanted no reward. She informed me since I had her property I should bring it to her, at which time I told her I would not do that. I wasn't wanting anything in return and was not going to drive all the way to her town. I gave her my home address and told her we would be home that afternoon if she wanted to drop by for it. She informed me she thought she would just let her daddy buy her a new one and hung up.

A couple hours latter this girl pulls in my drive and I walked over to the car. She rolled her window down about two inch's and informed me she was the one that lost the ring and she wanted it back. I went in the house got the ring took it out to her car. I slipped it through the two inch opening. She closed her window, backed out of my drive and left. "No Thank you or any other remarks". I guess her daddy didn't see it her way about replacing the ring.

Rick "IL"

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Rockin Chairs Gold said:
Found a girls class ring in 2001 (the year it was issued) at a local beach. It was a out of town school so my wife contacted the school and they had the girl contact me.

When she called I told her I had found her ring and she was welcome to come and get it. I wanted no reward. She informed me since I had her property I should bring it to her, at which time I told her I would not do that. I wasn't wanting anything in return and was not going to drive all the way to her town. I gave her my home address and told her we would be home that afternoon if she wanted to drop by for it. She informed me she thought she would just let her daddy buy her a new one and hung up.

A couple hours latter this girl pulls in my drive and I walked over to the car. She rolled her window down about two inch's and informed me she was the one that lost the ring and she wanted it back. I went in the house got the ring took it out to her car. I slipped it through the two inch opening. She closed her window, backed out of my drive and left. "No Thank you or any other remarks". I guess her daddy didn't see it her way about replacing the ring.

Rick "IL"

I bet she was from an upscale neighborhood. I find that people who have all that they want handed to them on a silver platter do not appreciate things as much as those who work hard to earn what they have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread