Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad the co. appears to be legit, i would turn the check over to LE
and let the LE notify the co, about the check, as they might not know
they are being used in a scam,and it would be best as an official LE
inquiry for notification

co. info
https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=6562474
https://www.emeraldexpositions.com/

Excellent advice!!! :thumbsup:

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey are you giving us ideas here? This is fairly Brilliant stuff. I am sure we can all think of someone that deserves this kind of ad! :) Oh wait, reel it back in TRD. If anyone is thinking about replicating this stunt don't forget about your digital fingerprint! Cyber tracking is pretty easy if you don't know what you are doing :).

It surely is!!!

Escrow accounts are Brilliant !! But there is a scam around that as well. To make you feel at ease sellers on craigslist were saying to click the link and deposit money for the Car (or what ever) in an eBay escrow account. Below the picture was a handy little button called (eBay Escrow) Except that a) It didn't go to an eBay escrow account and b) eBay doesn't do escrow accounts for anything except things sold on eBay. If you are in a situation to need an escrow account , make sure YOU originate the transaction through your own escrow company. Never use someone else's and Never originate an escrow by clicking a link on line and submitting info. An excellent sniff test for anyone insisting there ad is safe because it has an escrow feature is to let them know that you wish to buy, but you will be using your own escrow company. If it is a scam they will either go dark or they will argue that their escrow account is better or safer and insist that they can't sell the car or? using anything except their escrow. Neither of which is true. Have a Friends Daughter (19 years old) that lost 6K to an F Tard this way. She called me crying. Its hard to tell a young lady that she just gave away 6K and there is nothing that can be done :(

There is a Ton of useful information being Disseminated here! I think the original poster should change the Subject of this thread to How to avoid being a Dumkoff!! Lets spread the word people. These scammers need to have a short life.

They surely do and more and more is being done about them on a daily basis and exponentially as well! They have forced, made this all possible and a top, international, priority requirement now.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know in 3-4 yr time, 3 folks been robbed, 1 busted
even public places arent safe if the bad guy insists

You are exactly right about that as sometimes it may require a SWAT Team and most already have their hands full.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad,

This is the exact scenario that we discussed when I was there! Contact the Bank it was supposedly written on and when they say that it is a counterfeit, ask them if they want a photocopy of it. If so, email them the photocopy and mail all information (emails and screen shots of messages on your' phone) and the check to the address that the FBI provides. As we discussed, I did so and put one guy behind bars and the FBI has been hot on the trail of another. They should put the person away that sent you the check as well.

Frank

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad,

This is the exact scenario that we discussed when I was there! Contact the Bank it was supposedly written on and when they say that it is a counterfeit, ask them if they want a photocopy of it. If so, email them the photocopy and mail all information (emails and screen shots of messages on your' phone) and the check to the address that the FBI provides. As we discussed, I did so and put one guy behind bars and the FBI has been hot on the trail of another. They should put the person away that sent you the check as well.

Frank

Excellent advice and job well done! :thumbsup:
Most Local and State police are not able at this time to work these types of cases. If you file reports with them they may get lost in the shuffle and they may not go up the proper channels for enforcement. The FBI has an Internet Task Force online. Contact them there with as much documentation as possible, or contact your local FBI office to see if they are equipped with a department just for internet crimes.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted on Craigslist looking for a dog. Within one day I had to pull my wanted ad because of all the hate mail and scammers contacting me.
I've never used Craigslist before and I wouldn't again.
I had one person say they were a twelve year old girl with a father dying of cancer and that I needed to adopt her puppy immediately.
Her area code was from nebraska but she claimed to be in Michigan. Her name was something like Farooduk Madusha and she wanted me to send payment to Sri Lanka or some place like that. I guess she thought I was that stupid haha.
I had mentioned that I just needed a good farm and woods dog and I wasn't looking for a $500 dog because most puppy mills on Craigslist charge $500 and that's too much for me. We've mostly always had free rescues and they've been great dogs.
I had people emailing me asking how I would afford vet bills if I can't afford $500 for a dog haha. I didn't even bother replying.

Good on you! You don't even have to post an ad looking for a dog, or any other pet for that matter as the majority of For Sale ads are scams now too! About 7 years ago I was at home recovering from a surgery. I was looking for another Doberman to ad to my zoo lol! I found an ad that I was very interested in with one about a year old who also had "Level 2 Obedience Training". Since I was still laid up, I couldn't start out with a pup and it would be a while for me to be able to train so I thought this one would be perfect and that I could train a Level 2 trained dog easily using my own commands, hand signals and gestures. Long story short, it turned out to be a scam. I thought it was from the beginning as this person wanted the deposit sent by Western Union. NEVER send any type of payment by Western Union as it is impossible to trace!!! So I convinced the "seller" to let me send a Postal Money Order as any scams with those immediately become a Federal Offense and doubly so if over state lines as well. I also made sure that I got an actual address and not a P.O. Box number before I sent it off 3 states away. I had a bad feeling and it turned out that I was right, no meet up halfway for delivery of the dog! Now I was just going to write it off but decided since I knew where she lived by computer tracks and where I had sent the Postal Money order that I would at least contact the law enforcement agency there. Before I even told them what kind of dog that it was they asked me if it was a Doberman? Then they proceeded to tell me that I was like the 9th call that had came in. I asked them why they hadn't busted and shut the operation down yet and they said that they couldn't find the perps wth? They also told me that I was "fortunate" as the last woman had paid this crook the full amount for the dog and she was retired and on a pension!

That did it for me and my blood was boiling just thinking about those crooks preying on people, especially the elderly and the in-firmed! They had definitely scammed the wrong person and it was on. I took a "friend" with me in the middle of the night stitches and all and drove 3 states away to be there at sunrise. You should have seen the look on that criminal's face when I showed up at her door to pick my dog up lol! They knew they were caught dead to right and brought out the most pathetic and abused animal that I had ever seen in my life and I've seen plenty! That poor Doberman was old, emaciated, over bred to the point that her teats looked like cow udders almost dragging the ground and was clinging to me for help! I knew that I had to rescue that poor dog before I went into the Sheriff's Office with the file on her in my hand. I acted dumb and offered to pay and take the dog with me. When I asked for her papers and vet records she left the dog with us and went inside for a LONG time trying to figure out what to do. After about almost an hour she came back out and said that she couldn’t find them and that they had to go to a school program with their children, yes they had older children. I told her that I would get a hotel and pick the dog up in the morning. Needless to say she wasn’t available for me to rescue the dog from her directly myself. I contacted the ASPCA about the dog and 2 others that we had observed on the property for rescue. You should have seen the looks on the faces of those in the Sheriff’s Department after I limped in, handed them the file with all of the information needed for them to make the arrest. The woman was charged with 9 counts of fraud and ordered to pay restitution to all of the victims who had filed complaints and was also charged with possession of a criminal device. The criminal device involved was used so that they could illegally wire into a telephone line in order to use the internet and home telephone to perpetuate this scam over and over again to avoid detection. She got several years in prison. Here’s the kicker, this woman’s last name was Roach lol!

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent advice and job well done! :thumbsup:
Most Local and State police are not able at this time to work these types of cases. If you file reports with them they may get lost in the shuffle and they may not go up the proper channels for enforcement. The FBI has an Internet Task Force online. Contact them there with as much documentation as possible, or contact your local FBI office to see if they are equipped with a department just for internet crimes.

This type of scenario can also be filed with the Postmaster General as it constitutes Postal Fraud and is the very reason why the FBI will and have to take these types of cases.

Frank

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if it happens over the wires --its also known as "wire fraud" which is a federal crime as well...

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post #46 by TreasureQueen, Outstanding, well done and your sense of what's right and acting on it the way you did is (at least to me) is to be admired. Notice; Do NOT underestimate the power of the pirate clad TreasureQueen.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Typically nobody would come for your item. They just want that cash from the bogus check, once they have that they will disappear into the shadows.

What possible cash would "they" receive from a bogus check..? Who is they? I'm probably just missing something.... Brad

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an explanation of the scam from page 2.

the scam is thus -- they want YOU to cash the bad / bogus check -for them -and send them back the rest of the cash * -0h- in a few days when the check bounces --you my friend will be on the hook for passing a no good check to the bank and will owe the bank a full refund --the scammers will tell you to wire them the "extra cash" via western union and once they get their hands on it --using a phony ID --poof their gone in the wind -- an if you send them anything they will steal that too most likely --so they get your stuff for free as a bonus --plus any "cash" you send them -- and your out your goods plus all that cash as well..

What possible cash would "they" receive from a bogus check..? Who is they? I'm probably just missing something.... Brad

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, you cash their check. It'll clear, and you send them the "overage." A few days later - your bank is going to call you and let you know it was a phony check and you are on the hook for the full amount.

"They" are the scammers. I don't know who they work for.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Piratess,

I'm impressed how you went for payback on that scam artist.....I have zero sympathy for people who mistreat animals.

We're on our 7th house cat now and 6 of them were abandoned rescues I can't wrap my head around someone mistreating animals gives you an idea of how sleazy they probably are towards people as well.

Regards + HH

Bill

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post #46 by TreasureQueen, Outstanding, well done and your sense of what's right and acting on it the way you did is (at least to me) is to be admired. Notice; Do NOT underestimate the power of the pirate clad TreasureQueen.

Thank you sprailroad Lol! :icon_pirat:

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Hate the scammers and glad you didn't go for it. I'd like to sell everything for 4X the sale price but the buyer would be busted quickly if it were real and if not thought through or you take that everyone is good, you're gonna get taken. Wife and I are pretty much on to the telescammers and love the ones who tell me that there is a problem with my Windows program. I like to say that's odd since I own nothing but Apple products, you must be full of (Fill in the blank) and please take your scam and do not call back again. A call back to the number states that it does not exist or accept calls. Oh yeah, I have Windows products but know enough to know when I have a problem and if it is something I can handle or need Microsoft help. mick56, I like that, credit card people call up to sign you up for a high card, "well, that would be fine but I have to disclose that I am currently under investigation for"... click, most time you don't get to finish once you get to there. With more online buying, you have to become savy at everything or at least a bit less trusting and more aware of what can happen.
W

When I go back to the States, we almost always get a call from a youngish male with a middle-eastern accent, informing us they have detected that our computer has a virus. I tell them I started on microprocessors in 1974, and have used Linux since 1999 and my computer has no virus and to get the &^%$ off my phone. They do.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to get the same type of phone calls, and I kept telling the liars that I sold my computer months ago. I lied. They stop calling.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Most you can do is say you will Deposit the check,
and if all is well in 30 Days (or when the Bank gives the All clear)
you will move forward from there.
of course in most cases just by depositing the check, the bank will charge you a bounce fee, once it does. so it is even smarter to ignore them and frame the check as a souvenir of a moron who think they can pull one over on you. imo :laughing7: plus you can look so wealthy to the babes having uncashed checks for $2,074.25.
just lying around the house :icon_thumright:

in todays local news. not Craig's List Related , But is related to the Scam you mention

Police investigate
gift card scam

REEDSVILLE – State police at Schuylkill Haven are investigating a theft that happened to a Wayne Township resident between May 15 and June 2.

Police said someone sent an email to the woman to see if she would like to be a Wal-Mart Secret Shopper to which the woman inquired and was promised between $450 and $900 a month to shop.
The woman was sent an assignment via the United States Postal Service that included a check for $2,970 with instructions to keep $450 and use the remaining amount to purchase Wal-Mart gift cards, photograph the security numbers and email the pictures, police said.
The woman purchased gift cards in $500 increments and sent in pictures of the cards and two days later received another package from the same sender with a check from a different bank and the same instructions, police said.
Police said the woman purchased additional gift cards and sent in the photographs but the following day the first check was returned because it was on a closed account.
By this time, police said, the gift cards had already been purchased and drained of the money.
Police log, June 15, 2017 - News - Republican Herald

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If everyone would recognize these Scams for what they are and just follow a few simple procedures, they would not incur any fees from their Bank, might be out the envelope and postage for mailing evidence but definitely would not be out hundreds of dollars or more and the perpetrator or perpetrators of the Scam will likely be caught and get to spend some quality time with a big guy named "Bubba".

All you need to do is call the Bank on which the check is written, have the Manager check the number to see if it is a genuine check wrote on their' Bank or a counterfeit. This keeps the possible victim from incurring any bounced/return check fees. The Bank Manager will likely ask you to send them the check or a photocopy so they can start an investigation from their end. Next, contact the FBI and the PostMaster General concerning the scam and the counterfeit check which was mailed to you. They will tell you how to proceed and most often they request the check or a photocopy be sent to them along with any emails and/or screen shots of text messages sent via cell phone. Once they have all the information and the check or a photocopy, they will work to track down the perpetrator or perpetrators of the Scam and once they have linked them to actually scamming some folks out of money, they will arrest them and the Prosecutors and Courts take it from there. Then you can feel good that you got at least one and possibly more scumbag Scammer off the street who won't be stealing anyone's money for quite some time!

Frank

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I received emails that I believe are from crooks, I forward then to my local FBI office.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread