Cranky Old Man ( A must read)

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When an old man died in the geriatric ward of a nursing home in an Australian country town, it was believed that he had nothing left of any value.
Later, when the nurses were going through his meagre possessions, They found this poem. Its quality and content so impressed the staff that copies were made and distributed to every nurse in the hospital.

Cranky Old Man

What do you see nurses? . . .. . .What do you see?
What are you thinking .. . when you're looking at me?
A cranky old man, . . . . . .not very wise,
Uncertain of habit .. . . . . . . .. with faraway eyes?
Who dribbles his food .. . ... . . and makes no reply.
When you say in a loud voice . .'I do wish you'd try!'
Who seems not to notice . . .the things that you do.
And forever is losing . . . . . .. . . A sock or shoe?
Who, resisting or not . . . ... lets you do as you will,
With bathing and feeding . . . .The long day to fill?
Is that what you're thinking?. .Is that what you see?
Then open your eyes, nurse .you're not looking at me.
I'll tell you who I am . . . . .. As I sit here so still,
As I do at your bidding, .. . . . as I eat at your will.
I'm a small child of Ten . .with a father and mother,
Brothers and sisters .. . . .. . who love one another
A young boy of Sixteen . . . .. with wings on his feet
Dreaming that soon now . . .. . . a lover he'll meet.
A groom soon at Twenty . . . ..my heart gives a leap.
Remembering, the vows .. .. .that I promised to keep.
At Twenty-Five, now . . . . .I have young of my own.
Who need me to guide . . . And a secure happy home.
A man of Thirty . .. . . . . My young now grown fast,
Bound to each other . . .. With ties that should last.
At Forty, my young sons .. .have grown and are gone,
But my woman is beside me . . to see I don't mourn.
At Fifty, once more, .. ...Babies play 'round my knee,
Again, we know children . . . . My loved one and me.
Dark days are upon me . . . . My wife is now dead.
I look at the future ... . . . . I shudder with dread.
For my young are all rearing .. . . young of their own.
And I think of the years . . . And the love that I've known.
I'm now an old man . . . . . . .. and nature is cruel.
It's jest to make old age . . . . . . . look like a fool.
The body, it crumbles .. .. . grace and vigour, depart.
There is now a stone . . . where I once had a heart.
But inside this old carcass . A young man still dwells,
And now and again . . . . . my battered heart swells
I remember the joys . . . . .. . I remember the pain.
And I'm loving and living . . . . . . . life over again.
I think of the years, all too few . . .. gone too fast.
And accept the stark fact . . . that nothing can last.
So open your eyes, people .. . . . .. . . open and see.
Not a cranky old man .
Look closer . . . . see .. .. . .. .... . ME!!

Remember this poem when you next meet an older person who you might brush aside without looking at the young soul within. We will all, one day, be there, too!

PLEASE SHARE THIS POEM (originally by Phyllis McCormack; adapted by Dave Griffith)

The best and most beautiful things of this world can't be seen or touched. They must be felt by the heart!

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I've worked in a nursing home and can relate to how this poem is written. We often over look the old as just that old, sometimes cranky sometimes senile but still people. I have always tried to treat old people as people not as invalids. I don't talk to them like they are children but as adult who have lived. If I figure they can do something I let them but watch them. All most old people ask is that you don't treat them as invalids let them do things that they can still do and assist them when they need it but don't force your help on them. I think I will print this out and send to every nursing home in my town. Thanks for this!

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow-tears in my eyes-thank you for posting! I will be sending out as well.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Well first off I can't believe just two people posted to this thread. Second I found fourteen various nursing home type places in my town. Going to get poem copied this week along with a little cover sheet. As return address going to put
Future Senior
Any Town, USA

Kinda hoped others would do the same thing in their towns but guess not.

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Sorry I missed this post the first time around, great poem.
I can place a few faces with this poem.
Our family has never looked at anyone as grumpy, unless we knew them for a while, and learned their personality, some folks just aren't that friendly. As a kid, we would go the the "Old Folks Home" just to visit with people who may not have many visitors. I don't do this much any more, as I'm gearing up for a room of my own. If I don't get any visitors, I'll probably be a lot grumpier than the man who wrote this poem, an I'll pester all the talk radio shows, until they block my number. lol!
I knew a young lady who went to the homes daily and talked with everyone who lived there, collecting stories of their lives, with the intent to write a book of their stories, don't know if it ever happened, she moved to Florida.

Sorry for rambling on so much, this poem has my mind going every different direction.

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When one of my buddies was dying of stomach Cancer he spent his last six weeks in one of those nursing homes. His only kin lived six hours away and he didn't have many close friends. I took him to doctors appointments and chemo sessions over those six weeks. Man. what a sad place that nursing home was. All those ladies sitting in the halls outside their doors really shook me. I got to where I was stopping just to have short talks with them when picking up my buddy. A couple of days after he died I drove by the place and almost stopped to say bye to all those sad looking ladies. But, I just couldn't bring myself to see anything in that place again.

OP
OP
FCCDFEd

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When and after and since I posted this, I have had dreams and de ja vus' concerning what my last days could or might be like. I actually see this situation being one of my ends. I hope and pray that no one nor myself has to endure this type of end to there life.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Print it out and post it on your wall in the nursing home you end up in

When and after and since I posted this, I have had dreams and de ja vus' concerning what my last days could or might be like. I actually see this situation being one of my ends. I hope and pray that no one nor myself has to endure this type of end to there life.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No older person I know wants to end up in a place like this, but there really aren't any alternatives much better - we all die sometime.

My dad died in one, and I could see that he hated it, but our family spent his last hours with him, and I know it helped all of us, including my young daughter. She had never experienced anything like this, but she came through this honest experience a more spiritual person. Death is just part of life.

My mom is in an assisted living home, and the staff is great. They have activities, but let the residents have their time as they see fit. Meals are great, and the care is superb. There's even a couple of bulletin boards full of resident pictures that changes over time as each is highlighted. You should see one of my friends in his Navy uniform - quite a dashing figure!

I've gotten to know lots of residents, and that's been helped by our small local community since I know a lot of their families.

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
I too, missed this one when it was posted. Thank you original poster. A real glimpse of the future for us all. Hopefully young people will take the time to visit with us when we are old. My dad certainly cherished visits from relatives and his few remaining friends.

Now that he is gone there are so many questions that I wish I had asked him. Likely this is a common feeling among surviving family members.

M

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really makes you think. My wife is a C.N.A. and has been for almost 20 yrs. now. She has always been there for her patients and not just for the pay. In fact where she is working now, she has been commended for getting certain folks out of their rooms and engaged in activities with the rest of the residents. She has also taken residents out of the facilility (with a family member) to go shopping and etc,. She even took a resident to the fair, in the wheelchair. It really doesn't hurt to take the time and get to know someone in one of these facilities and spend time with them. Even getting permission from a family member, and take them out of their present surroundings and (example) take them to the mall.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I really agree. Get to know some of these folks; it makes there day that someone talks to or smiles at them.

Think of them as accumulating more stories than we know!

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I really agree. Get to know some of these folks; it makes there day that someone talks to or smiles at them.

Think of them as accumulating more stories than we know!

you can check with staff to see who has the least visits,and they do like it,let them talk about what they want to,
and some will talk and talk

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Makes me remember when I was younger still in my teens the last time on Holidays we would go to the nursing home and find abulatory residents that had no family and take 2 or 3 home on Thanksgiving for a good meal they loved it.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our fraternity went on social probation, and so as a condition of that, we had to do community service. One of the choices was to do a weekly night at the old folks home. We finally chose that, some griping about having to spend it with old geezers.

Well, after the first night, we realized that they were a rum bunch! They even liked to cheat at cards, and told lots of stories about their youth. So, a bunch of socially active 20 year olds actually fought to go out there on those nights, and a good time was had by all. :occasion14:

Not many young folks have personalities, but the older guys around town definitely have them, developed before TV standardized behaviors. They're well worth knowing. Enjoy them!

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for posting the poem. I, too, missed it the first time.

Thank God my Mom is in a nursing home where the nurses DO look at the residents as people. One woman is a surgeon and the staff sit and talk medicine with her. My Mom loves opera...the staff bought some CD's so they could play opera in the activities room. Not all nursing homes are snake pits. Unfortunately, there are too many that are - dirty, uncaring staff, etc.

Not to make light of this subject but just remember...payback's a *****, your kids get to choose your nursing home!

Thanks to ALL the wonderful folks who work in nursing homes and rehab centers. It is not an easy job.

Anita

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife has told me countless stories of what has happened, and what was said, that were very humerous. I have instilled in my wife to write these stories down, and have them printed into a book. Some of these stories are really funny. I am not trying to make light of anyone that resides in a retirement center.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the Tears Chug!!!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the Tears Chug!!!

Red here, thank you, it reminds us of Chug's mom, we lost her to cancer 9 years ago. Life is so short and is such a gift, we should all stop once in awhile, and give thanks for what we do have, and also for what we don't have, we take so much for granted now days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread