Crazy coin find at the beach

OcdChaos

Dec 29, 2016
The South
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to FL with the family for a weeks vacation. Threw my Tesoro Vaquero in the back of the SUV in case I had a spare minute to detect. I only got to go out hunting one night for about an hour and a half on the beach behind our condos. No good finds, only found bottle caps, tent stakes, aluminum cans, a lighter, and one modern penny.

Here's the crazy part. The next day, the family and I were walking out to the beach just to lay out in the sun and play in the ocean. I'm walking along with our beach bag, and see a quarter just laying there on the boardwalk that goes from the condo to the beach. I pick it up, and my jaw hit the floor. It was a 1906 Barber quarter with New Orleans mint mark in great condition. I have no idea how it got there, but it was a surprise for sure. I found nothing while using the metal detector, then I find a nice old coin while just strolling out to the beach.

IMG_0051.jpg
IMG_0050.jpg

Upvote 48

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow what a find. Very nice condition. Someone dropped it after robbing a house or something! Haha JK Very nice indeed. Not all great finds are in the dirt!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang that coin wanted you to find it. I'd probably get a find like that slabbed.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheesh, that's crazy. I was thinking maybe it was someone's lucky coin, but it doesn't have the wear you'd expect jingling in a pocket for a long time. Truly a mystery, and a really cool find!! Congrats

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wife and kids planted it so you would go detecting while they went shopping!!!LOL just kidding good eye!!!!!!

bigfish313

Nov 11, 2013
El Cerrito CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and BH SS II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The wife and kids planted it so you would go detecting while they went shopping!!!LOL just kidding good eye!!!!!!

LOL! My wife and kids seeded the vacant camp site next to ours and then ate all the marshmallows while I was happily finding pennies.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably been laying there since 1906 and you're the first one to notice it LOL

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Truly a very lucky find. Someone is going nuts trying to find it.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just never know. Hard to remember the last time I've walked around with my head up, not sad, just can't help eyeballing and scanning the ground in hopes of " Anything" like that. Very nice

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
However it got there, that is one sweet eyeball find- Congrats!

-- Jeff --

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow nice eyeball find! I was standing on a gravelly slope where people park with two strangers and we got to talking about eyeball finds. Next thing you know we are picking up change like crazy. I got about twenty modern coins and an earring and the other guys did a little less. It was cool to see grown men get excited to find pennies. You just put the search energy out there and the treasure came to you.
I did it the other day when I said " Its been a while since I found a Buffalo nickel". Next coin- Buff. Next time I'll say "been a while since I found gold" lol.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find, awesome looking Silver, Congrats! Way to keep an eye to the ground!:icon_thumright:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheesh, that's crazy. I was thinking maybe it was someone's lucky coin, but it doesn't have the wear you'd expect jingling in a pocket for a long time. Truly a mystery, and a really cool find!! Congrats
Barbers from heaven?? :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread