Credit Union Questions

Dr_Silver

Apr 7, 2017
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found a credit union close to my house with a coin machine. Can't quite figure out if I am more excited that I could potentially buy bags of coins from them or might be able to have a new drop off(rolling a $1000 dollars of halves a week is annoying to say the least)! For those members who buy bags of halves or other coins from a credit union are are you member? How did you go about buying the 1000 bag of halves? Should I call the other branches to see if they have coin machines to? How were your results from the bag? Or, does this become my new dump bank? Any other advice would be appreciated!

Upvote 0

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old professor used to say "don't ask me anything you can find out on your own in a half hour and we'll get along fine." My personal experience-
I went into my local credit unions and talked to the managers. They assure me they will not sell me bags of halves off the machine on policy. They seemed pretty rude too and I am patient and polite and easy to get along with. Perhaps you will have better luck. For now they are on my list of dump banks if I choose to start another dump machine account.
My smaller banks are a mixed bag (pun intended). Some of my tellers are very candid and have told me they open up the machine and look through halves, quarters dimes and even nickels as time allows. They may be sad they told me now because I dump there whenever possible. I thank them and bring them sweets and I am nice. We even congratulate each other on good scores. The flip side of the coin- My favorite teller has handed me a fist full of Walking Liberty halves right out of the machine without even raising an eye brow. Oh how I miss her. She is unable to help me in her new position but she was an incredible resource.
Most tellers are smart enough to snipe 90% coins as they "verify" the bags contents but don't know or care about 40% halves. I would tell them its not necessary to count the coins but more than one of the machines is dreadfully off on its counting so I just go with it. It is frustrating to hear that clink of silver in the back a handful of times and end up with only one or two 40% when you get home. Let us know your experiences! We are all ears.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My credit unions with machines wont sell the bags to customers, when i asked why the main the reason they gave me was the bags arent accurate and always end up short or have foreign coins or weird objects, so they dont eant to short a customer, i told them i would take the risk and would never complain and would never bring the coins back to them, they still wouldnt sell to me. So they became my dump banks, good luck if you try to buy them

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My credit union has 2 branches in my town. Before I opened an account with this CU, I stopped in the branch closest to my house and asked the teller if she had any half dollar coins. She said there were $32.50 in halves in her coin machine and sold them to me. I could see some silvers going into the little coin envelope and couldn't wait to get to the car where I found my first Ben and (2) 40% ers! I thought I had a gold mine and came back with the wife a few days later and opened an account. I used their machines to dump a lot of searched coins in denominations other than half dollars thinking I would purchase halves only from the machine. About a month after opening the account, they instituted a 5% fee to dump coins. So I quit dumping my coins there. Probably due to the new fee, the halves are accumulating very slowly now. I still am able to buy a few here and there out of the machine but it's not the gold mine I hoped it would be. The other branch apparently has different rules and won't sell me halves out of the machine unless the bag is full. Every time I ask about the status they say the half dollar bag is empty. I can buy boxed coins from the "good" branch if I want, but they are Brinks MWR and I rarely find a silver or proof. Thinking about closing the account and opening up an account at one of the other Credit Unions for a change of pace. Wifey rolls her eyes at that idea!

That being said, I never pass up the opportunity to buy a bag of half dollars. Some of my best scores have been from bags.

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my "consultant" fee is a bag of Morgan Dollars__________________ do your legwork & DO NOT use a phone. face to face will get you answers and maybe some new BF's :happysmiley:

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My credit union does not charge a fee for members. They will not sell a bag out of the machine but they will sell the full bags waiting to get shipped back . It's always hit and miss but I've gotten quite a few silvers from them. Sometimes I'll go to dump halves and if the bags fills up while I'm dumping they will have to change it . Then I'll buy that full bag back as long as at least half the bag was not what I just dumped.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been a member of one credit union since 1987. I had never considered buying bags off the machine until about 2010. The manager had no problem with me buying the bags, however; the bag 'o halves only filled once, maybe twice per year.

A lot has changed since then. Many, many uneducated and novice hunters really ruined it for the rest of us.
I can understand the banks and CU's hesitation in selling coin, period...the stories I could tell...my wife was in banking and was a vault teller for the longest time.

This forum contains a wealth of information for those new (and old) at CRH'ing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions