Creek Hunt 2-16-11

ShieldJaguar

Aug 9, 2009
KC, MO
Winter has been so longgggg. lol With the crazy amount of snow we've gotten this winter I've been getting stir crazy. Had a dream last week that I found a large point that was stuck in the ground, and ever since, I've been antsy to get out and hunt. However, the crazy snow wasn't melting fast enough. Finally decided I'd give it a try today. So, went to my favorite creek and was happy to see that it wasn't completely covered in snow and ice. The last time I hunted the creek was back in October - I gave up cause the leaves were already covering. So, I went to the first couple gravel bars and didn't find anything. Decided I'd go a ways in and try a bar that produces consistently for me, so hiked through the field and discovered that less than half the bar was exposed from snow. Walked up the edge and was getting discouraged. Stood up and was debating leaving for the day due to the lack of flint, when something caught my eye.

Wasn't sure if it was broken or not. Never know till you pull them out. Was very happy to see the size of it - 3 1/2 x1 1/2. Its not chipped at the tip. Its a spokeshave.

Started looking closer now, so I backed up a few feet to look closer and saw this sticking out of the water 2 feet from the last point.

Probably a snyders, its been reworked into a scraper and measures 1 3/4 x 1 1/2.

Took a pic of the snow covering most of this gravel bar.

Then walked around more of the bar and headed back to my back pack when not more than 2 feet from the first point and right next to my backpack I spotted this little beauty.

Not sure on point type, but man is it a tiny, perfect work of art. Measures 1 x 3/4 and very thin. Found all three points within a 3 foot area.

Last sand bar I went to for the day I found the last point, 1 5/8 x 1.

Tomorrow I'll go to the other side of the creek and see if any of my good gravel bars are exposed. Supposed to be 70 degrees.

Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 460
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 435
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 438
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 438
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 440
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 446
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 448
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 449
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 455
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 454
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 444
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 462
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ShieldJaguar

ShieldJaguar

Aug 9, 2009
KC, MO
Oh yeah, the dream I had last week about finding a point...it was just like the first one i found today...it was in the ground the same way and everything...very strange....

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
WTG shieldjaguar love to see those missouri points. I started to go today but my creek is runniing
way high, so it may take a couple of more days for me, the snow melted so quick the water is flooded,
needed to wash off those bars anyway. wish you more luck and some more dreams, take care...
JYD...

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Very nice...I think I'm finally going to be able to hit some of my creeks this Friday.

Hey....do you have much luck with that garden tool raking over gravel bars? Have you had it cause damage to anything yet?

OP
OP
ShieldJaguar

ShieldJaguar

Aug 9, 2009
KC, MO
archer66 said:
Very nice...I think I'm finally going to be able to hit some of my creeks this Friday.

Hey....do you have much luck with that garden tool raking over gravel bars? Have you had it cause damage to anything yet?

The garden rake works great. I use telescoping ones so i can use them as walking sticks when the terrain gets a bit harder and I can use it to scrape up points that are in a bit deeper water. I've never dinged any points with it. If a producing sand bar stops producing, I'll use the rake to rake up the bar and wait for the next rain to mix things up. Its a very useful tool.

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds.
I dream about arrowheads all the time.
Mostly when I'm awake.

OP
OP
ShieldJaguar

ShieldJaguar

Aug 9, 2009
KC, MO
Oh, forgot another part of my dream... In my dream I found the arrowhead and a couple days later I won 36k from the lottery and a couple days after that I won 32 k from the lottery....yeah, I'm buying tickets now lol...

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
love your photo work,stand up like you first see them,then close like you bent over to pick them up, last but not least in hand good close up. helping me learn to hunt creeks. zero points or brooks in creeks for me so far. very nice points love that little black one. please keep the great postings this way! i use a heavier 4 prong when looking in the woods for rock shelters, hook trees or rocks to help me pull up banks 0r stop falls .. creeks or fields use lighter long broom handle with a large heavy spoon on end instead of flipping spike,,bad back and knees!!! T

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread