Creek Hunt in Missouri 6-2-09

StevefromMissouri

Jun 26, 2008
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went this morning and found a nice one and a bummer broken Table Rock...

DSC03046.jpg

DSC03044.jpg

DSC03049.jpg

May your next hunt be your best hunt EVER!!!

Steve

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
:thumbsup: as always nice.

Did you make a video on this hunt? I think i have watched your videos if I am thinking the right person. You need to post your videos here also they are fun to watch,
Later Steve
TnMtns

OP
OP
StevefromMissouri

StevefromMissouri

Jun 26, 2008
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I quit videoing about February of this year, but picked it back up for the last 4 or 5 hunts. Yes, I have this hunt on video, but no time to edit. I'll get it on YouTube soon...

Fla-Gal

Feb 14, 2008
Please 'do' the videos...have missed them.....as always, great treasures....what a great eye you have....Congrats and thanks esd

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Steve, though I'm not 100% sure that's actually a Drill. I know the common misconception is that pieces like that were Drills, but I believe they are just Knives that have been resharpened down to that stage. If you look closely at your piece you can see the the edges look like they are still sharp, whereas if it had been utilized as a Drill the edges would show wear and polish from being used as a Drill. I think your piece was still in the Knife stage. It may have eventually been used as a Drill, but just not yet.

Just my thoughts.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
DorkFish said:
Nice find Steve, though I'm not 100% sure that's actually a Drill. I know the common misconception is that pieces like that were Drills, but I believe they are just Knives that have been resharpened down to that stage. If you look closely at your piece you can see the the edges look like they are still sharp, whereas if it had been utilized as a Drill the edges would show wear and polish from being used as a Drill. I think your piece was still in the Knife stage. It may have eventually been used as a Drill, but just not yet.

Just my thoughts.

I think it's a drill, looks like you can see rotary wear use on the distal tip that suggests it was used as a drill.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to respectfully disagree with you. If you look at the first two pictures of the piece you can see the obvious beveling from the resharpening of the blade. In the last picture you can see the the back side is flat and not rounded or diamond shaped like Drills should be. We may both be correct. If may actually be in it's final stage as a Knive and just beginning it's life as a Drill. I would have to see it up close to see if there is any polish or use wear on the tip.

Whatever it actually was used for, it is still an incredible piece.

ShowmeMoflint

Dec 27, 2008
L.C.M.O.
Detector(s) used
eyeballs and walking stick
What are you typing that drill?Kinda resembles Adena or dickson ??Nice one thanks for the view

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
That piece reminds me of this killer adena dickson drill from Sam Cox artifacts.

Attachments

• php0wsJgrPM.jpg
    php0wsJgrPM.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 337
  • php0wsJgrPM.jpg
    php0wsJgrPM.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 337
OP
OP
StevefromMissouri

StevefromMissouri

Jun 26, 2008
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I looked her over pretty close and didn't see any signs of use like a drill. These suckers are hard to find all there. I've probably found 9 or 10 bases like this over the years, but never a complete one. They all have had that steep beveling and large Dickson/Adena base. I friend of mine found one that measured 6 1/4" super finely chipped and black as coal. His collection was stolen about 10 years ago...what a shame.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread