creek hunters rights

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I haven't read your post in the indian section, but I'll take a stab here: Wouldn't it depend on who owns the creek? Because unless the "creek" is navigable waters (ie.: big enough for boats to navigate up and down for purposes of travel), then the waters and shores can all be private property (unless it's some sort of public park's creek).

The way I understand it, a navigable river (at least out in the water, and up to the high-water mark), is considered public access. Now, of course, then someone might argue that a state's of federal law says something about collecting or whatever. But ...... that's a different subject :)

So you need to be specific, on who the entity is, who borders the creek you have in mind. If it's private, and you have permission, then I say you can collect till your heart's content. If it's public land, then you'd have to check the rules of the city, county, state, or fed, who owns that beach-side. But this is a downward slope, because if you look long enough, and hard enough, in ANY public entity, and morph things hard enough, I'm sure we can all find things that say you can't even pick your own nose.

Here's an example of the psychology, of "no one caring, until you ask", when it comes to public lands:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,249049.0.html

OP
OP
M

mad.co.walker

Oct 28, 2010
madison county illinois
Tom_in_CA said:
I haven't read your post in the indian section, but I'll take a stab here: Wouldn't it depend on who owns the creek? Because unless the "creek" is navigable waters (ie.: big enough for boats to navigate up and down for purposes of travel), then the waters and shores can all be private property (unless it's some sort of public park's creek).

The way I understand it, a navigable river (at least out in the water, and up to the high-water mark), is considered public access. Now, of course, then someone might argue that a state's of federal law says something about collecting or whatever. But ...... that's a different subject :)

So you need to be specific, on who the entity is, who borders the creek you have in mind. If it's private, and you have permission, then I say you can collect till your heart's content. If it's public land, then you'd have to check the rules of the city, county, state, or fed, who owns that beach-side. But this is a downward slope, because if you look long enough, and hard enough, in ANY public entity, and morph things hard enough, I'm sure we can all find things that say you can't even pick your own nose.

Here's an example of the psychology, of "no one caring, until you ask", when it comes to public lands:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,249049.0.html
thanks ill let you read all the posts in the indian artifact forum so i wont keep repeating myself. hows the weather there. DO NOT ASK HERE. ITS TERRIBLE :tongue3: :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread