Creek hunting finds over the weekend.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Here's a few finds from a couple of hunts over the weekend. The chalcedony Lecroy is missing an ear but appears to be made that way, no evidence of breakage. The chert spike point is beveled like a corkscrew, a mean little sticker. My best piece of the day got outdone by the killer quartzite Kirk my dad found(last pic). Thanks for looking and good luck on your next hunt.

Upvote 0

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d
Man, you are killin' them! I have to wonder how much tougher it was to work quartzite than a good piece of heat treated chert....

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You keep pulling out nice ones. To be able to hunt with your Dad has to be great. Yeah you found some great points and the wild cork screw one was just a bonus but you are right. His little, fancy ,super old ,archiac dart point slayed you ;D
Great hunt and finds.
HH
TnMtns

artorius

Jul 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
I too would be satisfied to find that many nice pieces in a year. So far, it hasn't happened in 2009 for me.

I too particularly like the hafted scraper.

artorius

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thirty7
Is the hafted bifuracate scraper some type of fossil rock? Great bunch of finds.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
TnMountains said:
Hey thirty7
Is the hafted bifuracate scraper some type of fossil rock? Great bunch of finds.

Looks like it, but it's a dirty piece of quartzite. The bottom of the lithic barrel to some, priceless to me.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thirty7 said:
TnMountains said:
Hey thirty7

Looks like it, but it's a dirty piece of quartzite. The bottom of the lithic barrel to some, priceless to me.

I likes it. That material.. It better rain in the morn or I am going to be hurting this t-net keps me up too late !!

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
The chert "blunt" was a knife with a "drill" (broken off) tip. As if you didn't know that already :laughing7:

The quartzite one is puzzling. Is it a knife (hafted ulu) ? Or an endscraper ? Or is the working edge battered and blunted (which would make it a broadpoint era strike-a-light) ?

Neat stuff !

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
uniface said:
The chert "blunt" was a knife with a "drill" (broken off) tip. As is you didn't know that already :laughing7:

The quartzite one is puzzling. Is it a knife (hafted ulu) ? Or an endscraper ? Or is the working edge battered and blunted (which would make it a broadpoint era strike-a-light) ?

Neat stuff !

I think they're both typical hafted scrapers. Salvaged from worn down or broken points. " Blunts " to me look like exhausted hafted scrapers. The whole blunt or stunner idea doesn't make much sense imo. I'm not really arguing, but just giving my opinion, thanks for the comments.

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
thirty7 said:
uniface said:
The chert "blunt" was a knife with a "drill" (broken off) tip. As is you didn't know that already :laughing7:

Neat stuff !

I think they're both typical hafted scrapers. Salvaged from worn down or broken points. " Blunts " to me look like exhausted hafted scrapers. The whole blunt or stunner idea doesn't make much sense imo. I'm not really arguing, but just giving my opinion, thanks for the comments.
lol,Im sorry but i laugh everytime i hear stunner.it doesnt make any sense because they werent used to stunn an animal.what, did early man have zoos??lol.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
greg-rocks said:
thirty7 said:
uniface said:

Neat stuff !

lol,Im sorry but i laugh everytime i hear stunner.it doesnt make any sense because they werent used to stunn an animal.what, did early man have zoos??lol.

lol, know what you mean. When you get one shot on dinner in a survival situation are you really going to shoot to stun, haha. Alot of times I see old resharpened knife forms called stunners? Thousands of years before the bow and arrow.

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
i got another one for you 37,Pickaway and I hunt alot together and he ran into some good ole boys that took him hunting and one of these fellas found a early piece that was beveled on opposite faces like a thebes or something.anyways these guys called it a "spinner".his logic was that early man put the bevel on it to make it spin faster,and have better velocity,Pickaway said they were dead serious.lol.I could not stop laughing when he told me that story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions