Creek hunting - round 3, still looking for first creek point

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I found a creek last week that I'm certain I can get into and hunt. I've never really found anything in a creek before (probably found two partials a couple of months ago) but I'm optimistic that this creek may be the one to get me rolling. So tomorrow morning this blind squirrel is going to try to find a nut. I'll let you guys know how I do. I've never been in this creek before but I'm thinking I should be able to get a mile or two out of it. Is that a reasonable stretch to hunt in half a day? Too much? Not enough? Also I assume I should be hunting the banks and the water near the banks and spend less time actually out in the creek itself? I'm thinking the creek is going to be mostly gravel and not really silted in but I may be mistaken.

Upvote 0

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
In my experience which isnt a whole lot, I stick to the gravel bars and erosion areas. I like to hunt the creeks in the mile or two before it meets a big river or body of water. We definetly do a lot of water walking too. I have found quite a few points laying in the rocks on the bottom. Dont count it out. Good luck.

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only found about 4 or 5 points in the creek in the
22 years I have been hunting.
Having said that, they were all really nice points. Unbroken by
machinery.
Good luck and happy hunting.

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
The ultimate creeks tend to be where known indian sites are near by or main travel routes. I find that shallow creeks with clear water are great to look. The smaller the stones and the more sand and sand bars the better. I have found some nice ones on the muddy banks but most I have found in the water. It takes alot of patience and a trained eye and moving very slowly. You have to scan everything. My brother never finds any when he hunts creeks with me. I think because he seldom searches creeks and he has a hard time consentrating and picking out the artifacts from the other trillions of stones. Knowing the colors of the materials that are local to the area and looking for shapes are key to picking them out. Alot of creeks that I know were traveled are impossible to look because of water depth, mud and silt bottoms. These creeks might give one up on the banks that go down to the water. I have had little luck with these muddy creeks and don't waste much time looking them. If you do find a artifact in a creek then usually there will be more. My best points are water found and yes most are whole and not broken.

Treasure Hounds

Dec 18, 2010
North Carolina
I'm still a beginner too... The only two sites I've hunted so far are both creeks, particularly just a few gravel bars in each. I've never hunted fields.
Definitely check all gravel bars, and move very slowly. I start at one end of the gravel bar, take a seat on the ground, look slowly all around me 360 degrees, then move over a few more feet, sit, and repeat. Creek hunting requires an excellent eye and excellent patience! It makes the payoff that much better.
I've heard that some people simply cannot hunt creeks because they get too frustrated and impatient from staring at millions and millions of rocks. With time, though, your eyes will adjust and begin to distinguish the right shapes...
Good luck! You're automatically bound to do well in Missouri versus here in North Carolina!
~Caroline

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
undertaker said:
The ultimate creeks tend to be where known indian sites are near by or main travel routes. I find that shallow creeks with clear water are great to look. The smaller the stones and the more sand and sand bars the better. I have found some nice ones on the muddy banks but most I have found in the water. It takes alot of patience and a trained eye and moving very slowly. You have to scan everything. My brother never finds any when he hunts creeks with me. I think because he seldom searches creeks and he has a hard time consentrating and picking out the artifacts from the other trillions of stones. Knowing the colors of the materials that are local to the area and looking for shapes are key to picking them out. Alot of creeks that I know were traveled are impossible to look because of water depth, mud and silt bottoms. These creeks might give one up on the banks that go down to the water. I have had little luck with these muddy creeks and don't waste much time looking them. If you do find a artifact in a creek then usually there will be more. My best points are water found and yes most are whole and not broken.

Not entirely true. Here is a picture of a creek directly behind a home I once owned. I found many points in this creek and I do not believe there was any immediate habitation.

Attachments

• IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 507

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creeks tend to meander and change course over time. The section of creek you are hunting may have not even existed in ancient times. A creek that cuts thru a summer or winter camp or village is what you want. Look and see what is the water source or head of the creek and study it from there. Starting at the spring if it is ancient works well. I have recently been studying rivers and how the corps of engineers took out a lot of the curves. On a side note have a tract of land that water blew out a blue hole. A new spring. The new spring eventaully joined the nearby creek but it cut right thru the middle of an old unknown site and scattered it for miles down the creek.
So forget everything and just look for trapped flint :laughing7: :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Re: UPDATE - Creek hunting - round 3, still looking for first creek point

Well I didn't get skunked that's a step in the right direction. I went out Saturday morning and was eating footprints from the previous day. Oddly enough I viewed this as a good thing because I'd never hunted there before and it gave me some confidence that there were points to be found. Overall spent about 5 hours out and found 3 partials. Not great but hey, it's a start. I only hunted one of the 3 stretches I wanted to hunt so I'll have to finish checking it out over the next couple of weekends. If the last broken base was whole I'd still be out there. Would have been great.

Thanks for all the advice. It'll take me a couple of months but I'm going to get creek hunting figured out.

Attachments

• IMG00040-20110507-0802.jpg
    IMG00040-20110507-0802.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG00041-20110507-0804.jpg
    IMG00041-20110507-0804.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG00043-20110507-1103.jpg
    IMG00043-20110507-1103.jpg
    702.4 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG00044-20110508-0826.jpg
    IMG00044-20110508-0826.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 451

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you are on them. Good thing about hunting water is no plow to kill everything :thumbsup:

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
I have been creek hunting for almost a year and have just started to find points so IMHO you are ahead of the curve or at least ahead of me! I have however found my best in that year in creeks. Congrats on ur finds.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
buzzgator / TnMountains - thanks, I'm stoked about it. However, I had expecttions I'd do a little better. Oh well, I'll get this creek hunting figured out. Over the next few weeks I'm going to further explore this drainage and I'm hoping to get 1 or 2 for the case. I'll keep the forum updated as I figure this out.

Joe

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Glad to see you are making progress on your creek hunting. I think creek hunting as I've known it over the years is about to end. Our family farm where I do ALL of my hunting is for sale.... :( :( :( :(

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Archer - That sucks. Is that for rock hunting and deer? If so it double sucks. I know a guy who has a hunting lease up by you that may also turn into a rock hunting opportunity. If it does I'll let you know. I'm also working on another rock hunting plan in your area. If either of them come through you're welcome to join me.

I'm going to head out in the morning for round 4 of creek hunting down here. We'll see how it goes. I'm going to check back on last weekends spot and then try a new stretch and see what happens. I don't know if today's rain is a good thing or a bad thing. I'll find out in the morning.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Rain is usually a good thing for a creek, that looks like a good creek, I hope you do well. I have never hunted a plowed field, there are not alot around here, and someone already hits the ones that are plowed. good luck!

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Twitch said:
Archer - That sucks. Is that for rock hunting and deer? If so it double sucks. I know a guy who has a hunting lease up by you that may also turn into a rock hunting opportunity. If it does I'll let you know. I'm also working on another rock hunting plan in your area. If either of them come through you're welcome to join me.

I'm going to head out in the morning for round 4 of creek hunting down here. We'll see how it goes. I'm going to check back on last weekends spot and then try a new stretch and see what happens. I don't know if today's rain is a good thing or a bad thing. I'll find out in the morning.

Joe....yes it's my everything farm. My grandfather purchased the place in the 1930's. He passed away in 2009 and his children (my dad, aunts, and uncles) have decided to sell. It's what's best for the extended family and I completely understand.....just makes me sad to see it go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread