Creek Walking.. any good tips or advice?

A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

Keep a sharp eye out on bends and washouts....also any areas where gravel collects. Dont be above doing a little sifting either. ;)

Atlantis

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
I don't know much about creek hunting but Atlantis sounds right on the money. And Badandy hits the creeks hard so any chance you get to talk to him would be helpful.

xstevenx

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the high ground (above the flood plain),
where they would camp, any gullie's, bare spots.
in some of our local rivers, you only find artifacts
on gravel bars, not in the sand.

HH, Fossis................

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Hey Thanks Johnny! SRH, You can find'em almost anywhere near the water. In Southern IL. the creeks are real rocky and I know that you will find some artifacts in the creek you speak of. When you try and take a pic. of it without any disternable landmarks so as not to give away it local. That will help me help you futher. There are several tips I can give you, but will take a long time that I don't have right now. 1. If the creek takes a sharp turn, then check the other side of the creek after the turn. (If it turns left, then check the right side after the bend, and vice versa). Let us know how you do and be sure to post pic. Hope this helps and Happy Hunting!
badandy

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, my handle for years on some artifact websites was creekwalker. I spent years walking creeks and streams finding arrowheads in in central Missouri. My record for one day was 41 whole points after a 6 inch gully washer the day before. Course I was in an area where I found them often so I knew i would find some. I never came close to that record again.

Best time to walk is right after a gully wash. Some of the best places to look is down stream behind fallen logs, rocks, weeds, anything that interfers with the flow of the current. They will be pushed downstream and fall behind objects that blocks the flow of the current. Also like stated above check on the opposite sides of curves and bends in the creeks.

It seemed the wider the creek the better my luck was and the more I found, the sides of the creeks will break away during heavy downpours and artifacts that were buried in dirt wash down stream. I also found points sticking out of the creekbed sides where the dirt had fell away.

You can also take a 5 gallon bucket, cut the bottom out of it, silicone in a piece of plexiglass and make glass bottom viewer. It works great in pockets or holes where water stays, you be surprised what is there.

Another trick, if a stream or creek has a small waterfall, dig in the hole at the bottom where the water hits, I have found them there burried in the dirt and mud where they washed down stream during high water and fell in the hole dug by the water.

Watch out for the copperheads though!

Good luck!

Abbey

Aug 15, 2006
Eastern Shore, MD
Detector(s) used
Discovery200
Good morning SRH! I echo what everyone here has said. They're wise- do what they say. On top of that, wear a hat, a neckerchief, bring water and a snack, bring a good DEET insect repelant- the mosquitos are BAD and will drive you crazy before you can focus on the ground! Also- look for the shape (although many tools are natural-looking, many points and mortar and pestle (mano and grinding stone) are just too trianguar, too round, too oval, etc to be natural. There are exceptions to this certainly, but, sometimes it helps-- when all you see is chunks of rock- then to spy a triangle with a 'bright edge'-- it'll catch your eye. Watch for that.) Also look for a 'bright' surface (flaking on points tends to reflect well)-- and color. Many times, 'different' or non-native stone was used to make nice points. Keep your eyes open for something that doesn't 'fit' (while humming the Sesame Street song, 'One of these things is not llike the other one...') ;)
If you're in the woods (a woodsy creek), watch for ticks- I always wear long pants tucked into boots. Protects me from poison ivy too, which I have a terrible time with...
Have a great time! And remember, if it's an old place, you may also find an old dump- with cool things like bottles, buttons, odd iron things and curiosities. If I feel I'm getting skunked for one thing, I often change my 'goal' and go for what's there. I have a friend who basically puts her blinders on and goes for the points only. When there are none to be found, she goes home upset and defeated-- while I may come away with a cool bottle or crock, an old 'Tootsie Toy' car or a button- and be walking on air for having found something.
Good luck, welcome, and as always, HAPPY HUNTING!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread