Creepy shipwreck revealed by shifting sands on North Carolina beach

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.foxnews.com/science/creepy-shipwreck-revealed-by-shifting-sands

By James Rogers | Fox News

Hatteras-Island-NPS-2.png

The creepy skeleton of an 86-year-old shipwreck has been revealed by the shifting sands of a North Carolina beach.

The Cape Hatteras National Seashore posted an image of the wreck on Facebook June 1. The wreck is the G.A. Kohler, a four-masted schooner that became stranded on Hatteras Island in August 1933. “The ship was sailing south along the Outer Banks when a hurricane passed through causing the ship to crash onto the beach,” officials explained. “All crew members were rescued, but the ship lay stranded for a decade.”

During World War II, the ship was burned for her iron fittings, leaving the shipwreck “skeleton” that is sometimes visible when sands shift.

“This shipwreck is just one of hundreds that have crashed along the North Carolina coast, which gained the name the Graveyard of the Atlantic,” explained the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. “With the shifting sands, shipwrecks will be uncovered and recovered over and over again.”

Shipwrecks have been generating plenty of attention recently. A mysterious 19th-century shipwreck, for example, was recently discovered by researchers testing underwater drone equipment in the Gulf of Mexico.

Earlier this year a search for shipping containers that fell off a merchant ship during a storm led to the discovery of a historic 16th-century shipwreck in Dutch waters.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool ! Not sure what goes through peoples Minds when the Call it "Creepy" :icon_scratch:
But Cool Story :coffee2:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not creepy to me. The skeleton of that old ship is not moving - but the shifting sands move to either expose it due to erosion or re-bury it due to deposition. A useful beach gauge for metal detecting.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to use a feature like this to estimate how much fresh sand has been deposited on the beach. Today, the old truck transmission tunnel embedded in the beach I walk for fossil shark teeth was exposed about 14-16" above the sand. That suggests the better fossil beaches will be good - and they were pretty good, although I found no megs. When that transmission tunnel is totally buried in sand, larger surface fossil finds will be scarce and I mostly walk the beach then for exercise and to rescue horseshoe crabs and other creatures that were swept up in storms.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to be the one to excavate it before the tide came in a monkey on a cupcake lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread