crescent city gold??? first timer

mattisdell1983

Mar 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello all, this is my very first post and i was curious if there were anyone near the crescent city california area? I am a novice prospector and need much help. I know the smith river can be panned legally and ive done a fair amount of research as to technique and general how-to and even tried panning today( even with 55 mph winds and flooded conditions), But i would like someone to show me and possibly have someone to prospect with if anyone knows of anybody or is interested or could just help out with their techniques and things...thanks, Matt

Upvote 0

TarheelPanner

Mar 26, 2012
Mebane, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love too, but your on the other side of the country!! Good luck on panning your bound to get alot in CA!

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a lot of gold found along Craigs Creek. Be sure of where you are though as a short ways up from the mouth is a patented claim (private property). Right below the mouth of the creek, where it hits the Smith River, is a pretty good gravel bar. It's on South Fork Road and is called Craigs Beach.
Mike

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's alot of options along both smith river and the south fork. Myrtle creek, craigs, coon creek. I had a friend who worked up above Gasquet. I think it was stone creek. Apparently there were a lot of lode deposits in that area. Delnorter is right, a lot of claims to watch out for. You can even get flour gold off the beaches. Further south, you've got the Klamath. A lot of that river is controlled by the Yurok tribal council. Pretty easy to work with.

Wish I was back in CC. I love that area.

Cl1983

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any decent areas to go for just a day trip for a newby either around crescent city or brookings that's easy to park nearby and get to? Was thinking of taking my kid for a day trip and was going to the shop in brookings first

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My favorite is Rowdy Creek out of Smith River, CA. Easy to get to - plenty of parking. I used to hike up in those hills and never saw many people. Some 4x4's or those going up to the gravel pits to shoot their guns. Out of Brooking there's the Winchuck and Chetco rivers - but don't know much about them. I driven them all, a lot of ranches and farms. Not sure about panning there.

Cl1983

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We will try to find rowdy creek I think. Just make the short trip up for stuff then head to the creek to get out of the house for a few hourw

Cl1983

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where should we head, I looks at a map there's the fish hatchery and that's all I'm familia with in the area

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
right across the highway from the store (Rays food place?) up rowdy creek road. Once you pass the gun range on your left, you can take shavely road up rowdy creek - or take a right and follow savoy creek. If you go any higher up rowdy creek road you move away from the water. There's still small creeks up there, and plenty of trails/roads that go everywhere.

Cl1983

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost to crescent city. Getting lunch then looking for savoy creek I think

S

stefen

Might want to try Gold Beach just over the Oregon border and the beach above Trinidad located midway between Cresent City and Eureka...

Both beach areas are gold bearing black sand and were mined during the Gold Rush era...

Cl1983

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't the beach above Trinidad the state park? If so that will be another day since I only like 30 mins or less away. Ill check out gold beach if I can.

Cl1983

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a few days work still found a few flakes brought some dirt back with me. Going to check out the beaches. Still can't find the ones that were hit during the gold rush. I have a list of beaches by name but most are in redwood national park

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old thread i know. Im from Brookings and im trying to find a good place on the smith river as well.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old thread i know. Im from Brookings and im trying to find a good place on the smith river as well.

Smith River - California Gold

DEL NORTE COUNTY, CALIFORNIA

GENERAL INFORMATION
Between 1880 and 1990 Del Norte County has produced approximately 50,000 placer gold ounces and about 1,000 ounces from lode deposits.
DIAMOND CREEK
Diamond Creek area had several lode mines with placer possibilities. The Keystone mine was a lode mine in the Rockland district.
MONKEY CREEK
Monkey Creek is said to contain placer gold.
SHELLY CREEK
Shelly Creek contains placer gold associated with area quartz mines.
SMITH RIVER
The Smith River is definitely the place to look in this county. The Smith River produced about 45,000 ounces from placer operations dating back to the 1880's. Most of the tributaries contain gold as well.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The summer invasion of homeless and cranksters is in progress so LOCK, chain and secure everything. Quite a few friends live there and bad summer for theft and violence just like here in Redding.....John

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
homeless + ctranksters=same thing!

Grass Valley/nevada City has been taken over by them! Crazies flippin out every day!

I want to go to the area above Arcata, where the famous old gold beach is. Isn't that in a Nat. Park now? And can you snipe or set up a wet washer?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions