Crescent shaped adornment piece?

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this on the "What Is It" forum with no avail. Big Cypresshunter recommended I try this forum. So here goes Big Cy!

This is one of my latest finds "out west" lying on top of the ground as I came upon it. It is made out of thin stamped brass and tin of all things. It has two eyes, one on each side as if it were hung. Maybe worn by a woman as an adornment? The site I found it from is dead on 1870's. Any ideas would be appreciated.

The pic. on the top right is it lying on the ground as I found it. The other two of course are front and back views and then a pic. for size comparison.

Thank You in advance,
IM

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 002v.JPG
    002v.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 0

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
if adornment it looks africanish, i wonder if it could be a pc off of some old equiptment ...i dunno , cool find though hopefully someone will recognize what that is for you.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen jewelers call such a thing a "moon gorget", put on a necklace. Neat find!

OP
OP
Ironman!

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That would be very cool if it was something like that, but unfortunately this came out of the desert in the "old west".
Thanks for researching for me you guys!

IM

Ironman!, that just makes it later in time. It's still most likely a moon gorget belonging to a Native American, just more likely 19th century, and a very cool find!

OP
OP
Ironman!

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ironman!, that just makes it later in time. It's still most likely a moon gorget belonging to a Native American, just more likely 19th century, and a very cool find!

Ok, I understand what you are saying. Thanks for the insight Carl!

Here is a pic. of the brass part from another one I found at another site, near where I found the other whole piece.
002z.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread