CRH and privilege

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The discussion/debate on Omega's post about losing one of his bank accounts has got me thinking about something I've been thinking about for a while now. How much of what we do in the CRH world is facilitated by the fact that most of us are white men over the age of 30? I'm not trying to get really PC here, but honestly, I've found myself wondering just how far people who don't fit that description could get in this hobby. I'm trying to imagine a young black man in his mid 20's walking into a downtown bank branch and trying to order $5k worth of half dollars and how well that would work out. Or a female college student. Or a Sikh in a turban. Etc, etc.

I've seen people post on here how it is important to dress nicely and look like a highly respectable business person. I don't always do that, but I have established relationships at the banks I interact with now. But I think that would be even more important if I wasn't a mature adult white male.

I feel like this whole hobby is a fleeting house of cards that could - and will - collapse at any time, once the banks all figure out that they are providing a lot of service that doesn't generate them any revenue. We are all quietly benefiting from this while it lasts, (most of us) not wanting to rock the boat and ruin a good thing. But I wonder, if we are really honest with ourselves, how much of our ability to do what we do stems from our good fortune of being reasonably well-to-do white guys. Whether we want to admit it or not, we get a lot more respect right off the bat than do a lot of other people who don't have those attributes.

Just something to ponder.

Upvote 0

Brush64

Oct 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
We all have to work hard to make it work, I just do believe that some have to work a lot harder than others because of the cards they've been dealt. That's all I'm trying to say.

I don't disagree with your comments either, and I do think it can be more difficult for others to get into or build up a solid CRH hobby "system." I do recognize that it's not a level entry for everyone; but on the other hand, I'm not sure how that can be corrected. In fact, I don't think it can be fixed. You can basically say the same thing about everything in life. Nothing is fair and we all have to figure out a way to improve or change ourselves in order to move forward in an effort to get what we want. That's the biggest difference I see in my generation vs. the younger generations now days. We "older" folks were raised to rely and change ourselves whereas many young people now days tend to think it's up to everyone else to change to accomodate them. Big difference regarding how one views the concept of fairness in life...whether you are talking about CRH'ing, getting a job, or succeeding in life, etc.

Good discussion though....

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good post, we should all be aware of the innate advantages we are given based on our upbringing, and race etc. certainly if we were born to a drug addict in South Chicago we would have plenty of obstacles that would prevent us from coinroll hunting. and yes, as a white person you are much less likely to be looked on with suspicion, if anyone denies that I don't know what planet they live on. that being said, no one's saying we should feel bad about it, or at least I would never say that. Just be appreciative you have money to mess around with, a good brain on your shoulders, and good contacts with people at the banks.

As for behavior at banks, yep I saw this coming for Omega. Anyone who's been doing this for years knows that tellers move around and they all talk to each other at different branches/banks. Make one enemy, and they will likely show up at your favorite bank as a teller at some point :occasion14:

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow...never thought of that...are they doing that?

They must I heard it from some very reliable sources! :tongue3:

The Brinks guy, the bank teller, and I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy, whose sister knows a guy, whose brother told him he saw on the internet that Brinks was culling out all of the silver (end sarcasm).

Spoiler alert: Brinks isn't culling the silver.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
They must I heard it from some very reliable sources! :tongue3:

The Brinks guy, the bank teller, and I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy, whose sister knows a guy, whose brother told him he saw on the internet that Brinks was culling out all of the silver (end sarcasm).

Spoiler alert: Brinks isn't culling the silver.
1178c63633d3b1f29eef76c2ed643adc5eb461dab0d9bb2e826d06a7b313e49d.jpg

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They must I heard it from some very reliable sources! :tongue3: The Brinks guy, the bank teller, and I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy, whose sister knows a guy, whose brother told him he saw on the internet that Brinks was culling out all of the silver (end sarcasm). Spoiler alert: Brinks isn't culling the silver.

"They can't put anything on the internet that's not true."

"Where did you hear that???"

"The internet..."

Haha

momandboys

Greenie
Nov 24, 2013
Hi guys,

I am a stay at home soccer mom who has some treasure hunting blood in her. I use my two young boys as a cover for CRH and other hunting activities. Yes they like the hunt and we have fun but I am the one who searches the most rolls of coins, hunts the longest for sharks teeth ect. So guys, it is not just guys. you are not the only ones. As others have stated the key to a good CRH system is relationships, so true. I can tell there are a few tellers at my bank who are a little tired of my "coin collecting with my kids story". Creating the system is part of the fun and I am sure that any color person, race, sex can come up with a good system. Just wanted to make sure someone from the opposite sex put in 2 cents (get it?) ha ha. Have a great day!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me too, my people skills have become much better over the years just by asking to order coins, etc.
:thumbsup:

I definitely have.

and to keep on the topic of the OP, please don't take this racially. I have run into 5 different crh'ers in my years of dumping/picking up. Here's the statistics..

person 1: white male, mid 50's, a member of this forum. He's a real nice guy.
person 2: white male, late 30's.
person 3: african female, mid 40's. She was kind of rude to the tellers because my dump was taking a while, and she had the same amount of coin as I did.
person 4: white male, mid 60's. He's been doing crh since the 60's.
person 5: white male, early 20's.

I have come to the conclusion that the majority of the crh'ers in my area are white males above the age of 30.

but how do you all know that I am a white male over the age of 30? Perhaps I am a female from India in her 50's? I'm not, but you don't know that.

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Or a female college student. Or a Sikh in a turban. Etc, etc.

For the record there was a rather prolific younger (early 20s?) female here just a couple of years back who CRH'ed as a way of making college expenses. We are talking, IIRC, TimZim levels of production, or close to it. She haled from the southern California area. Apparently not fitting the originally proposed profile of gender or age did not hurt her. Just saying.

Rascal

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the record there was a rather prolific younger (early 20s?) female here just a couple of years back who CRH'ed as a way of making college expenses. We are talking, IIRC, TimZim levels of production, or close to it. She haled from the southern California area. Apparently not fitting the originally proposed profile of gender or age did not hurt her. Just saying.

Rascal

Good for her! I can barely carry 2 boxes (of halves) from the banks to the truck, and it is against DR. orders, oh well, but good for her!
Maybe another twist here, lots of threads I read here say people here deal with mostly male tellers, here 99% of tellers are female (and most of them 20 something) Damn, now I've lost my train of thought......

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was searching 20g's a week and would show up in flip flops, cargo shorts, and a polo. It has nothing with how you dress.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread