CRH Nightmare

SilverJack

Sep 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My greatest fear came to life tonight.

I stopped at a bank I typically use as a dump and asked the merchant teller if he had any halves. He had $5.50 which I purchased. 4 were 40%ers so that was cool.

He then says to me, "you should have been here last week, I had to ship out $960 in halves." So I think, big deal, someone's dump.

Then he tells me they were hand rolls brought in after a Mom and Pop grocery went out of business. In 41 years, they had never cashed in their halves, just kept them. The teller gave out many additional rolls (several hundred dollars worth) when people asked for halves hoping they would appreciate the fact that they were old and silver. I have no idea why he didn't buy them himself.

Last week I was near by and decided to save myself the time by not stopping thinking I was going to be shut out. Feeling pretty stupid right now.

As for my fear, it's the idea that every bank I drive by or don't stop to check, is a bank LOADED with silver just like this one was. It's the lost scores that bother me most. I bet I'm not the only one.

Upvote 0

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch. Every time I drive past a bank now I think, "That could be the one". It must be tough knowing you drove by and it was "the one". Keep your head up. Another opportunity will present itself someday.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
My greatest fear came to life tonight.

I stopped at a bank I typically use as a dump and asked the merchant teller if he had any halves. He had $5.50 which I purchased. 4 were 40%ers so that was cool.

He then says to me, "you should have been here last week, I had to ship out $960 in halves." So I think, big deal, someone's dump.

Then he tells me they were hand rolls brought in after a Mom and Pop grocery went out of business. In 41 years, they had never cashed in their halves, just kept them. The teller gave out many additional rolls (several hundred dollars worth) when people asked for halves hoping they would appreciate the fact that they were old and silver. I have no idea why he didn't buy them himself.

Last week I was near by and decided to save myself the time by not stopping thinking I was going to be shut out. Feeling pretty stupid right now.

As for my fear, it's the idea that every bank I drive by or don't stop to check, is a bank LOADED with silver just like this one was. It's the lost scores that bother me most. I bet I'm not the only one.

Someone is going to get a few magical boxes, somewhere.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver jack - you are my neighborhood competition, am I correct? Sticking to the eastside,and more north still?

I can tell you, that it was not me! Maybe I'll load up on some boxes then, eh?

PS, the teller could be full of it.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JACK - I also had a teller give me that B S Just this Very Afternoon. a US bank to be more specific.

She has 400 somthing in halves. Told me they were all from a small business. Told me they are probably lots of old coins in there because they had been so busy.

Guess many silvers? ZERO.

Don't fret.

Guns Blazing

Jan 23, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the same thing, I will usually look up the number for the bank on my phone and call the bank and ask. It gives me a little piece of mind

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tellers lie all the time about having had halves recently that you "just missed."

OP
OP
S

SilverJack

Sep 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I've heard that line before understanding it to be total BS. Along with "no, these aren't from the same person, they came in from multiple businesses," where every coin in the lot is marked exactly the same, this line has to be the one I roll my eyes at most. But not this time, I'm fairly certain he was being genuine. Too many details, no hint of acting, spoke directly about giving them out because he knew they were silver.

I do believe someone is going to get a few nice boxes when those get mixed in.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ever get that bank teller that acts like they have more half dollars in the vault then you could possible imagine...then you drop 2k on the the counter and they turn into mice as they only had 100 or 200 worth around and thought you were just some chump looking to buy 10 bucks worth

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure do when I bought that box the other day the teller told me that they have way more than I could need. Her eyes got huge when I said give me all of em. Then she started cheering and telling everyone. They were excited to see them go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions