CRH vs MD

Its not even close. Unless you dig up a huge cache or some other insanely valuable object detecting, CRH wins hands down. The amount of silver I found on my best single day CRHing absolutely crushes my lifetime detecting totals, and I've been detecting since around 1980.

I do find older and better quality coins with the detector, but nowhere near the quantity I find from CRH.

With that said, if for some reason I had to give up one or the other, it would be CRH. I'd much rather swing the detector as open rolls.

Not even close - CRH unless you are a pro at MD or very lucky. Both are fun though. This week I got $0.36 and an old toy car MD at the beach but it was sure nice hanging out there for a couple hours with my boy.

Maine_Jim

In a week I dig up about the same number of dimes as I find in rolls - (3 or 4 average). The other denominations like halves and quarters I dig up the same average as what I have been finding in rolls recently. Zip! Although yesterday I did score a couple in CWRs.

Apples and oranges. My second year dirtfishing I found close to 80 silvers, close to 200 total in three years. I've tied my best day with seven silvers. Dug Morgan and Peace dollars, Barber haves, Franklins, Barber quarters and lots of Barber dimes, and a seated.
Less silver in the dirt as the years go by, you really have to work at it, my favorite areas are really trashy, where other detectorists usually throw in the towel.
Oldest find - 1758 spanish reale, here in Mich. ffd

Sometimes it is quality, not quanity-- referring to MD, and sometimes it is quanity, not quality-- referring to CRH. I never had the interest to do metal detecting, but I think CRH is way better, otherwise I would be into MD'ing. hh all!

BuffaloBoy said:
Sometimes it is quality, not quanity-- referring to MD, and sometimes it is quanity, not quality-- referring to CRH. I never had the interest to do metal detecting, but I think CRH is way better, otherwise I would be into MD'ing. hh all!
I know, it's crazy. All my detecting buddies think roll hunting is soooo boooring, that's ok, more for me!

Unless one is at a heavily populated beach and goes out every day could one possibly compete. But even then it is highly doubtful. I just recently found my first 14K ring MDing--and it is no where by any means what I have found CRHing. But I love MDing as I get my exercise that way. I have traded in lots of free-found clad over the past two years and purchased Silver Eagles--that was fun--and it was really free silver!

Dang, I really want to retire!

apush :read2:

As far as silver, CRHing crushes dirtfishing. I have found a decent amount of both gold and silver jewelry and silver coins metal detecting and some valuable non- precious metal items as well but a single box of halves from a few years back could have more silver then a years worth of detecting. Although, i think the way things are headed in CRHing, it's going to be easier to find a silver half in the ground then find it in a roll of halves, IMO.

CRH is something you can work on for 15 or 20 minutes, leave it sit and come back later. Detecting you usually make your trip count for at least 2 or 3 hours.
CRH is fairly clean, and detecting is fairly dirty. CRH is climate controlled and detecting is cold, rainy, wet, hot, humid, sweat soaked, or just plain comfortable.
CRH your pets may bother you, detecting other peoples pets, stray, or wild animals may bother you. CRH your car is safe in the driveway, detecting your car is hidden from view, where it could be hit, or broken into, or vandalized.

So my question is, why do I still own 4 metal detectors?

I don't know if I'd describe CRHing as "fairly clean". Less dirty, maybe. Coinage metals are antimicrobial, so it can be not overly germy, but it can be gross. The globs of crud, hair, grease, dirt, mac&cheese, etc. you find between coins in rolls can be rather off-putting. I'd rather have ordinary mud and dirt (though I'm sure you run into plenty of gross buried stuff, dog crap, etc. while MDing too.)

You have to admit tho, MD'ing is greatly more exciting than roll hunting. I know that I'll probably never find multiple large cents, key date indians, multiple Barber halves and Walkers, and multiple silver doll(e)rs roll hunting. Also, you don't have to wait for those boxes to come in....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back