enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're in it to get rich then it's the wrong hobby for you.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRH is a hobby not a business. It is essential that you understand this or you will absolutely hate it.. Just this week I searched 14 boxes of dimes and 6 boxes of halves without finding one piece of silver.. I probably spent 50 dollars in gas on top of it.. With that being said, good luck... It is an absolute blast to CRH if you have a strong passion for coins.. As long as you can deal with doing tons of heavy lifting for a return of that sweet Ag, than you are in the right place.. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

NjStacker22

Dec 9, 2012
NJ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you gotta find a bank with a coin counter dawg, then its alot easier.

I don't think I would CRH if my bank didn't have a coin counter!!

And yes, it is a 'slow' hobby. So far, I have searched $400 worth of dimes and have come up with 3 silver's. I believe that's actually quite good.

Oh, and advice from another newb, get used to the faces and comments from the tellers. If they ask, tell the truth come up with a story you can re-use. Today, I changed in $600 that I have been supposedly saving for 2 years as a vacation fund... not sure what I'm going to tell them tomorrow when I come in with $400 more not 24 hrs later! LOL.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NjStacker22 said:

And yes, it is a 'slow' hobby. So far, I have searched $400 worth of dimes and have come up with 3 silver's. I believe that's actually quite good.

Oh, and advice from another newb, get used to the faces and comments from the tellers. If they ask, tell the truth come up with a story you can re-use. Today, I changed in $600 that I have been supposedly saving for 2 years as a vacation fund... not sure what I'm going to tell them tomorrow when I come in with $400 more not 24 hrs later! LOL.

You could be honest with them.. Don't say "I hunt or silver" say something like "I am a collector and look through coins for collectable dates or errors." The average person will immediately assume that it is some type of compulsive obsession you have.. Which is kind of true if you ask me lol.. Mostly I think the common person views it as a waste of time or an odd thing for someone to do.. Don't go spilling your secrets, but you should be moderately honest with them.. Especially if you plan on visiting the branch often..

NjStacker22

Dec 9, 2012
NJ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^ This is a good idea. I've been to one local branch of a small community bank a few times and have gotten random halves by telling them just that. I'm a coin collector looking for a few rare coins to complete my set. After that, they almost expect to see you back again!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't volunteer any info to tellers. Be courteous if they ask.
It takes me 3 seconds to re-roll dimes back into their original paper tube, something I said I'd never do after years of using a counter, now it's almost as fast.
This hobby is right along the line of being a "trekkie", whether I like it, or not.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothin I hate more than going in and picking up some rewrapped/taped that have been sorted through already. I mean, you can drop it, and there goes everything. IF you dropped the roll, you are going to be furious. Whereas, if you just take them to a counter, you could care less if they were dropped as you can pick them up without recounting

Man, I hate counting, and by the way, customer wrappped dimes at least in my case 1/10 are short of one or even two dimes. Homie, this is going to catch up to you, and the tellers are going to be the one's chunking them rolls at you!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't need advice from newbs, and I've been doing it this way for years. I also don't count coins. Never a problem with tellers or any other part of the system.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I don't need advice from newbs, and I've been doing it this way for years. I also don't count coins. Never a problem with tellers or any other part of the system.

+1. Fifty, just pull up a chair because school is in session whenever one us veterans decide to chime in. FFD been at this game before you were in diapers.

OP
OP
joeismad

joeismad

Dec 7, 2012
enamel7 said:
If you're in it to get rich then it's the wrong hobby for you.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not in it to make a fortune. I was just excited and hopeful to find just one. I'm not necessarily going to stop crh, but have decided to limit my attempts to more modest attempts like checking the tills at work. Wife a wife and 2 kids it is difficult to find time to re-roll and I don't want to lose 8% to coin star. The issue is the rolling. My bank puts them in his plastic sleeves and I don't think they can easily be re-rolled. I wish there was a coin counter but there's not.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

OP
OP
joeismad

joeismad

Dec 7, 2012
NjStacker22 said:

That's good advice.thanks

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wife a wife and 2 kids it is difficult to find time to re-roll and I don't want to lose 8% to coin star. The issue is the rolling.

If your gonna do it, then you need to put aside the time, or not do it at all. It's a hobby. How old are the kids? Get them involved. Let them do the re-rolling with you.
BTW- The last vacation I went on was paid for with pocket change i'd accumulated for several years.

OP
OP
joeismad

joeismad

Dec 7, 2012
Wilmingtonsilver said:
If they are in the plastic rolls, there is no reason to take them out of the roll. Just rim search through the plastic.

Ok, I feel like an ass, but what should I be looking for when searching through the plastic rolls? I have a 53 Rosie here and the differences seem subtle. It's a little thicker and the color is a little different, but it's not a major difference to me. What am I missing?

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joeismad said:
Ok, I feel like an ass, but what should I be looking for when searching through the plastic rolls? I have a 53 Rosie here and the differences seem subtle. It's a little thicker and the color is a little different, but it's not a major difference to me. What am I missing?

Don't feel like an ass it's ok dude... Dimes will have an obvious silver rim.. The ones that are clean and in good condition will stand out like a sore thumb, but the ones that are a little more worn will look almost "dirty" you need to always look for a SOLID ONE TONE rim... The clad edges you will be able to see two different colors while rim searching.. Here is an example.. Also please know that most of your questions can be answered by the "beginners to coin roll hunting guide" posted at the top of the forum home page..

Attachments

• image-2268353619.jpg
    image-2268353619.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 99

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Wife a wife and 2 kids it is difficult to find time to re-roll and I don't want to lose 8% to coin star.

Surprized nobody caught this, 2 wives and 2 kids, no wonder you don't have the time, lol. Joking, I reallize it's a typo, just thought it was funny. HH, Maverick.

NjStacker22

Dec 9, 2012
NJ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't feel like an ass it's ok dude... Dimes will have an obvious silver rim.. The ones that are clean and in good condition will stand out like a sore thumb, but the ones that are a little more worn will look almost "dirty" you need to always look for a SOLID ONE TONE rim... The clad edges you will be able to see two different colors while rim searching.. Here is an example.. Also please know that most of your questions can be answered by the "beginners to coin roll hunting guide" posted at the top of the forum home page..

What a great sight! :laughing7:

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NjStacker22 said:
What a great sight! :laughing7:

Lol ... That picture is actually the silver proof dime I found.. That is why it looks so fat...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread