CRHing as it relates to FISHING...

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
CRH'ing as it relates to FISHING...

Hey guys/gals. I thought of this a while ago, but didnt think to share until now. I think that the more who share their thoughts on a thread like this one, the more awesomer it becomes. (I know I know, awesomer is not a word) So please share, by adding how CRH'ing relates to fishing, or if you feel it relates to other hobbys/addictions share those.

So a while back I was going through a box (I was rather new, so it was when I still EXPECTED to find at least a few silvers in a box), I was almost through 2 boxes, with skunkage results and I was getting ticked. I was racking my brain trying to figure out why there was no silver... for example: Are these my own dumps? These must be my dumps from last week, I think I recognize that coin, yep, I know for sure it was one I dumped last week-I had recongnized a few others too.. (true story-lol).... Did a new CRH'er come along and dump a boat load of stinky dumps in my supply chain? Is brinks trying to discourage me from ordering coin so they culled all the silver out from under me by hand? Was it the bank? Did they have my dumps re-wrapped to give to me again (simply to discourage me from ordering coin, so they wouldnt have the added work)?... ETC.. Those are just a few of the Manic thoughts I would have trying to "figure out" where the silver coins are...
So, as Im getting a headache due to thinking so hard to figure out where the silver was, I open a roll and there is the most beautifully toned 1964 Ken I have ever found (still my favorite coin found CRH'ing-it is truly beautiful). All of the sudden my thoughts were filled with pleasure, I was happy, I was over-joyed, and I realized that it was all worth-it. Then it hit me, this hobby is just like fishing.... I am going to add a few of the parallels I have thought of about how CRH'ing relates to fishing, but please add your thoughts...

HOW COIN ROLL HUNTING RELATES TO FISHING, JUST TO NAME A FEW:

-You can fish for hours on end, ticked off cause you havent caught a fish. Working tirelessly-(harder than you work at work trying to find the fish/figure out what they are biting/or why they aren't biting etc... Was it the moon last night? Is it the water temp? Must be the barometric pressure?.. etc. but then when you finally catch one, BAM its all worth it. Same w/going through x amount of skunks to find the shine.

-You can spend yrs. fishing for that 10 pounder, content with the fact that it may never happen, but you are going to commit to it, and do it anyways. Same w/scoring that genuine dream box(100+ silvers), Or bank hopping for CWR's, to score the elusive "solid roll" (I still havent found one of those either, I have burned many hours/days searching too)

-You will feel compelled to rationalize (in your own mind) the money u spend on supplies/equip/travel/fees etc and how it's less than buying store bought fish/meat (and healthier/safer to eat too.) but usually it is not that way at all. Most die hard fisherman could raise there own fish, in their own pond-in-yard and save time/money... Same with the diehards who CRH, add up all the time/gas/additional repairs to the car due to hitting curb at bank($500+ when I did it) etc.... did I mention TIME, and most-if not all of us end up paying more for silver then we would have paid, had we just paid spot for it in the first place.

-When we go out on the water and have a "great day" by catching x amount of fish, it makes us feel smart. We feel gratified, like we know something the others guys dont. We feel like we are superior to the next guy, we knew something they didnt, and it allowed us to do something they couldnt.... Isn't CRH'ing the same way? Dont we feel smarter/wiser/cooler then the next guy when we can pay face value for a coin/s that are being sold all around us for 25 X's face? I know I do, and I think that is a big part of it for me, I cant explain the way it makes me feel when I put in work, and at the end of the day get to look at the box of silver I have found and acquired at F.V...

Please add any of your thoughts, hopefully many will contribute and this will become a fun thread.

Happy hunting everyone, Chris.

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: CRH'ing as it relates to FISHING...

Fishing can be fun. Catching fish is always fun. :icon_thumleft:

penman77

Dec 11, 2011
Eastern North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The secret to success in fishing is to keep your bait in the water.

Same with CRH. Keep buying the boxes and asking tellers if they have half dollars.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The quickest way to ruin a good fishin' hole is to talk about it. ;D

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other

If it's not a keeper, toss it back.

Sometimes you get your hands dirty/smelly.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010

RockDoc,

Great write-up! I enjoyed ready it :icon_thumright:

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one.

omga747

Oct 28, 2011
Southern CA
Primary Interest:
Other

You've been at it for years and never caught the BIG ONE. Then you bring out your friend who has never caught a fish in his life and he reels in a 20 lb monster (aka barber ;D).

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Penman77 summed it it up very nicely for both the fishermen and the CRH-ers among us .
Jesus said to his disciples "the reason you do not have , is because you do not ask ".
Argentium.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your only as good as your last box. So keep fresh bait on the hook. :hello:

OP
OP
TheRockDoc

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011

I love this so far... keep them coming guys!

I will say, the parallels go much deeper than I first realized....

happy hunting.

Chris.

ps- I think my favorite so far, is yours arkie, "The quickest way to ruin a good fishin hole, is to talk about it". -Aint that the TRUTH?

GimmeSomeSilver

Sep 21, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There's always that great time of the year to do both! IE: Walleye run, CRH just after the holidays.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've always thought 'coin roll fishing' would be a more appropriate term than saying *hunting* but the current term had already been around way before I ever came on board...

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

two things I can't wait to get in the water this year as I plan on getting a water detector...opps - not helping...

how about CRHing (the second thing) ever notice how when you get almost to the end of the box and your not finding silver you start to automatically slow down your digging in to the roll trying to make the hunt last longer? my GF says basically I almost pout if I'm getting skunked. :tard:

you all also must get excited about the same as reeling in a good catch when you either hit a silver or dig one...I know I was about crazy digging my first merc - (it's just a lot cleaner then dirtfishing/ er mostly) ...

HH all. keep up the good posts.

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Searching rolls of cents is like panfishing - you are pretty much guaranteed at least a few keepers, but probably nothing spectacular.

Searching halves is big game fishing, muskie, steurgeon, etc - you will probably get skunked a lot, but when you land a keeper, WOW!

Dimes are like bass to me, decent enough, but again, nothing spectacular.

Nickles would be like Walleye fishing to me - you gotta work really hard to land a keeper, but they are really good eating (ok, maybe a stretch on that one)

And I guess quarters are like carp - there are tons of them out there , but no one wants to fish for them

OP
OP
TheRockDoc

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011

Is it bad form to "bump" your own thread? I hope not, because I just did it...

Want to hear others who have creative thoughts on how CRH'ing relates to fishing... I appreciate all the good ones so far. Lets keep em coming.

OP
OP
TheRockDoc

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011

Here's one I just thought of, When someone finally catches that "10 pounder" or equalivalent.... There is always gonna be haters and congratulaters.. No matter what, or how you do it, people will criticize everything. Goes the same with posting a "great find" or "dream box" etc... here on Tnet

If you dont post a picture, they call u a liar, if you do post a picture, they attack you for keeping the fish for the wall, and tell u things like: it takes 7 years for that fish to get that big, and you can do a replica mount just the same, someone else deserves the opp to catch that fish, etc.... If you took a picture and then released it-instead of praise, they criticize you for how you were holding it incorrectly, and the gear you were using was inappropriate, and they tell you it probably died shortly after you released it and that you should have kept it to eat it, rather than waste it... It goes on and on and on......

Absolutely parallels Coin Roll Hunting......

For those die hard fisherman out there in Tnet land, what makes you more "manic" fishing, or CRH'ing? I cant figure it out yet, for me anyways....

happy hunting everyone.

Chris.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread