CRHing... with a little help from my friends

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRH'ing... with a little help from my friends

A few months back, I had mentioned my coin collecting hobby to a co-worker of mine. Today, he remembered that chat and decided that I would appreciate a coin he had found in supermarket change. He walked into my office, and dropped a 1903-P Indian head penny into my palm. "It's yours," he said. I thanked him for his thoughtfulness, and tipped him a dollar coin. Like Thurmownater says, nice begets nice.

Yay, this is now the oldest coin in my collection, beating my previous oldest find from 1919 by more than a decade. Where has this penny been in 105 years?

1903 was the year of...
--> the Wright Brothers made their historic first flight at Kitty Hawk.
--> Pope Leo XIII died, and was succeeded by Pius X.
--> the Teddy Bear and the Ford Model A were both introduced.
--> Bicyclists compete in the first Tour De France race.
--> Panama became independent from Colombia, then gave the USA rights to dig the Panama Canal. Digging started the following year.
--> Jack London published his most famous novel The Call of the Wild, and Scott Joplin published his ragtime masterpiece The Entertainer.
--> Cinema audiences were thrilled by The Great Train Robbery, a crime western. Women fainted during the climatic scene in which a cowboy fires a gun toward the screen, "shooting" at the audience.

Gotta love coin collecting... these small touchstones of the past get me focused on specific points in time. It's the closest I'll ever become to being a time traveler.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cerulean

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: CRH'ing... with a little help from my friends

In my friend's change jar, I came across a 1941 wheat cent and a 1957 Canadian dime!

OP
OP
Cerulean

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: CRH'ing... with a little help from my friends

From her pocket change, my mother set aside a 1950-D wheat cent and a 1979 Bermuda quarter for me. Thanks, Mom!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread