cripple creek

chadrack

Sep 20, 2008
Hello Gents. I have a token I found in Cripple Creek some years ago. About the size of a nickel, thin as a dime, made of copper, and with a blank, unmarked back. The front says Sam Lang-Good For 1 Cigar around the outside and has a 5 in the center. I am hoping to find info on its collectability, worth, or at least where to pick up my free cigar. I am guessing it is from the late 1800's or so. Thanks for any help. Sorry, can't do pics.

OP
OP
C

chadrack

Sep 20, 2008
Thanks j-g. That is the closest reference I've seen to it. I wonder if the saloon was in Denver or CC or likely both. It is just an interesting curiosity, I suppose. Back to the pile of "interesting curiosities" unless anybody can add more. Thanks again.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's his death notice:
LANG, SAM - Died - at St. Joseph's Hospital, Dec 9, 1911. Sam Lang,a liquor dealer, who has been identified with the business in Denver and Cripple Creek, for a number of years, died Saturday morning at his home, 1675 Steele Street, after an operation.
Source:http://coloradoclues.com/Vital Statistics K-M.htm

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this info in Stuart Pritchard's Colorado Token Book,
Sam Lang / Denver / and / Cripple Creek DE8040a 22 brass round
Good for / *5¢* / in Trade 14 $8-$16

Sam Lang / Denver / and / Cripple Creek DE8040b 21 brass round
*Good for* / * 5¢* / * in Trade* 2
(Saloon - 1904)

No listing for a "Good For One Cigar", which tends to mean that yours is unique. Good stuff, there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread