dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Diesel, I think you missed the train. The market is now higher than the peak of the Bush years! The recovery is real and growing and the government is not taking over...we have fewer govt employees now than under Bush too.
Kevin, source for the fewer employees?
And no I haven't missed the train as I have been investing right along...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Understood but realize the stock market generally tries to price in what will be happening a year or so out. It attempts to predict as oppose to react. That's the bet and the risk. Problem for most people is where else are you going to put money save under the mattress. Bonds paying nothing. And the Feds cheap money runs the risk of fostering speculation.
I agree on where else are you going to put the money, and I understand the market tries to predict rather than react. However I am just puzzled what people think is going on to signal a real recovery as opposed to another "bubble"...

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree on where else are you going to put the money, and I understand the market tries to predict rather than react. However I am just puzzled what people think is going on to signal a real recovery as opposed to another "bubble"...

Good question!

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Very good question. The longer the fed keeps rates this low and keeps pumping money into the economy the more likelihood there is for another bubble.

Corporate profits, cash levels, margins etc are at record high with sign that the global economy is slowly improving. That is what is driving the market. Realize the market tried to look at least a year out so even if things are still bad today people will invest if they think next year will be better.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
How is consumer confidence right now? I realize I live in a very small and disconnected part of the country, but everyone around me pretty much feels the same way. We all have a lack of consumer confidence. I wish housing in my area was doing better than it is. If it was I would sell my place in Maine and be in a much warmer place like Florida. I absolutely HATE living here in Maine.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CC is increasing at a good rate and the housing market has been on a slow but sure rebound. Unemployment rate is falling. No one is jumping for joy, but most trends are heading in the right direction for now. Big question will be when does the fed decide it needs to start tightening? They have to do it sooner or later or they risk speculation, inflation, etc.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
CC is increasing at a good rate and the housing market has been on a slow but sure rebound. Unemployment rate is falling. No one is jumping for joy, but most trends are heading in the right direction for now. Big question will be when does the fed decide it needs to start tightening? They have to do it sooner or later or they risk speculation, inflation, etc.
I know they just decided to keep it the same but if they start to raise it I am afraid the applications for new mortgages will drop significantly because of higher rates. Which will of course stop housing in it's tracks and damage our economy again.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I know they just decided to keep it the same but if they start to raise it I am afraid the applications for new mortgages will drop significantly because of higher rates. Which will of course stop housing in it's tracks and damage our economy again.

Move to Fla., anyway... I would!

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
How is consumer confidence right now? I realize I live in a very small and disconnected part of the country, but everyone around me pretty much feels the same way. We all have a lack of consumer confidence. I wish housing in my area was doing better than it is. If it was I would sell my place in Maine and be in a much warmer place like Florida. I absolutely HATE living here in Maine.

Yeah, move to Florida! We can go detecting together. Even if the market goes south again at least you will be warm. Just think of all the money you will save on not having to pay for heat.

Crispin

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I am seriously considering this Crispin I hate winter and Maine!!!!!! I wish I never started building this home. I would love to go detecting with you, often thought about beach hunting in Florida during all of last winters snow storms.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no don't move to Florida. It's crowded enough and houses are being sucked into sinkholes verily as I type this. Today a whole bunch of people at Universal Healthcare Insurance lost their confidence and their jobs, along with 140K folks that lost their healthcare insurance but that's ok, they'll find jobs and better benefits. This stockmarket recovery is just rich folks playing, hoping to get some more of that 401K money then it'll the market will drop leaving the working guy holding the bag again. Unemployment is dropping due to folks not being able to collect comp anymore so they aren't counted. Watch out for the next thing called the Trans Pacific Partnership or TPP for short, then ask yourself, why should companies bring jobs back to the states where they have to pay a much larger wage than in third world countries without the worries of regulations about pollution or workers rights? hey, I feel like I'm Stanley sunshine with that outlook.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dave,

Cheer up......I try to go by the philosophy that the glass is half full and not half empty....it puts a more positive spin on things.

Regards + HH

Bill

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
no don't move to Florida. It's crowded enough and houses are being sucked into sinkholes verily as I type this. Today a whole bunch of people at Universal Healthcare Insurance lost their confidence and their jobs, along with 140K folks that lost their healthcare insurance but that's ok, they'll find jobs and better benefits. This stockmarket recovery is just rich folks playing, hoping to get some more of that 401K money then it'll the market will drop leaving the working guy holding the bag again. Unemployment is dropping due to folks not being able to collect comp anymore so they aren't counted. Watch out for the next thing called the Trans Pacific Partnership or TPP for short, then ask yourself, why should companies bring jobs back to the states where they have to pay a much larger wage than in third world countries without the worries of regulations about pollution or workers rights? hey, I feel like I'm Stanley sunshine with that outlook.
Dave, I will look into the trans pacific partnership for sure as I have not heard of it. I was kind of thinking if I finished my house I could sell and pay cash for one in Florida. It takes a lot of pressure off when you own your home outright with no payments. But even with that set up the economy still effects everyone. I am way to young to just hang out at the pool everyday so jobs are for sure a concern. I love my neighborhood and the home I am building (owner build and living in while completing) but I am way BURNED out on winter time, being in such a rural setting, taxes, attitudes around me (not kidding), and just the general cost of living. Not to mention I just found out the county I live in has the highest rate of cancer in the state and extremely high compared to the national rate. I am sick of being cold and sick of the weather dictating every aspect of life.

Other than that I love it here! :unhappysmiley:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
diesel,

Cheer up dude.....before you know it you'll be detecting in Florida with Crispin and drinking Guinness by the pool....lol...

Not sure of your line of work but given that a lot of people in Florida are retired anyone with construction skills should be in high demand.

Regards + HH

Bill

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diesel, it has been a rough winter down here too, I had to scrape frost off the windshield 3 times so far and it is suppose to get down to 40 in the morning.....LOL
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
diesel,

Cheer up dude.....before you know it you'll be detecting in Florida with Crispin and drinking Guinness by the pool....lol...

Not sure of your line of work but given that a lot of people in Florida are retired anyone with construction skills should be in high demand.

Regards + HH

Bill
Your right Bill summer is coming. I am quite sure we will be getting down to Florida in October (kind of extends summer a little) for a couple weeks. Hopefully can catch up with Crispin and get some detecting in. We always head to central Florida so we should be close enough by to meet up.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Diesel, it has been a rough winter down here too, I had to scrape frost off the windshield 3 times so far and it is suppose to get down to 40 in the morning.....LOL
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Th, I am so envious of weather like that. I might have noticed the sun out for a few hours about three times all winter:BangHead:. LOL! 40* is a heat wave compared to here, we were below -20* many nights. Boy does that wear on me. At least even in that kind of cold the old Dodge always started. It was also a very busy winter with many weeks I put in close to 100 hours a week. Following Treasurenet on my phone in between things did make the time go a lot faster though.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can relate, I have lived in northern states durring the winter, lived in North Dakota, Minnesota, Nebraska, Illinois, Iowa, Colorado, Missouri, Ohio. I slept in my custom van in Minneosta in the winter for 4 weeks because there were no rooms available in the town I was working in...............Coldest I have seen is -55 F with out the wind chill when I lived in ND, no one paid much attention to the wind chill, the real temperature would kill you quickly if you were exposed for long...

There are lots of cheap houses for sale in Central Florida due to the housing buble burst.....

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yeah the cheap houses are kind of calling my name only problem is this one isn't finished yet but I am getting closer everyday. If I could sell this one I could easily pay cash for one down there.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread