Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta have stubborn projects... or a stubborn some one working them some times if they don't know what is going on.

70 year old tractor ,despite more attention , t.l.c. ,parts,labor than many see has been harder to start ...and when below freezing decided not to.
But it must! During power outages the weather is usually bad and the tarp shed is needed to put the generator from it's more distant storage shed in.

Last above freezing spell I spent time trying to figure it out. Almost starting ,almost. Has good spark when it should ,has gas running out carb ( not unusual if it does not start) , a puff - puff of steam looking air/ fuel coughing out the exhaust with an occasional strong " poof".....what the heck?

Weeks later with yesterday being around freezing for a high I revisited the issue.
6V fully charged. Though it can be hand cranked Not fun if it won't run though. Had it starting with a half turn " pull" of the crank last summer.
Cranked it alot trying to get it going last time,while allowing starter to cool.... through two battery charging cycles. Despite knowing if it does not start in six seconds.....it probably ain't gonna.

Too heavy of oil for winter? Summer fuel blends reduced volatility?
The plan was to first siphon fuel from tank. Pull hood/ tank after tearing down enough to do so. Rebuild tank to carburetor fittings ,a ball valve,a filter , similar to what I replaced sediment bowl with already , then add fresh winter grade fuel....But first..
Pulled the main jet out of the young/ replacement carburetor and cleaned it's passages with a fine copper wire to find a skin/skim of ice and or varnish. (I run fuel treatment with any added fuel).
Manage to not drop it on the dirt floor of the tarp shed. Put it back , hit the starter and " zoom"!.

All the hours trouble shooting and try it again testing.... for a few minute job.
Good thing I don't get paid for this one!

Other "projects" await. Gotta have projects.

"Gotta have projects" OK This project is a few miles from my place.

DSCN1952.JPG

DSCN1951.JPG

DSCN1953.JPG

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RC,

Whether your working, retired, etc....you got to have projects in other words a reason to get out of bed every morning to face a new day other wise wed all be bored stiff... :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Gotta have stubborn projects... or a stubborn some one working them some times if they don't know what is going on.

70 year old tractor ,despite more attention , t.l.c. ,parts,labor than many see has been harder to start ...and when below freezing decided not to.
But it must! During power outages the weather is usually bad and the tarp shed is needed to put the generator from it's more distant storage shed in.

Last above freezing spell I spent time trying to figure it out. Almost starting ,almost. Has good spark when it should ,has gas running out carb ( not unusual if it does not start) , a puff - puff of steam looking air/ fuel coughing out the exhaust with an occasional strong " poof".....what the heck?

Weeks later with yesterday being around freezing for a high I revisited the issue.
6V fully charged. Though it can be hand cranked Not fun if it won't run though. Had it starting with a half turn " pull" of the crank last summer.
Cranked it alot trying to get it going last time,while allowing starter to cool.... through two battery charging cycles. Despite knowing if it does not start in six seconds.....it probably ain't gonna.

Too heavy of oil for winter? Summer fuel blends reduced volatility?
The plan was to first siphon fuel from tank. Pull hood/ tank after tearing down enough to do so. Rebuild tank to carburetor fittings ,a ball valve,a filter , similar to what I replaced sediment bowl with already , then add fresh winter grade fuel....But first..
Pulled the main jet out of the young/ replacement carburetor and cleaned it's passages with a fine copper wire to find a skin/skim of ice and or varnish. (I run fuel treatment with any added fuel).
Manage to not drop it on the dirt floor of the tarp shed. Put it back , hit the starter and " zoom"!.

All the hours trouble shooting and try it again testing.... for a few minute job.
Good thing I don't get paid for this one!

Other "projects" await. Gotta have projects.
:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
"Gotta have projects" OK This project is a few miles from my place.

View attachment 1539345

View attachment 1539346

View attachment 1539347

L.o.l.. Farmall A . In need of a couple donor tractors ,or to be a donor.
For what a runner goes for ,it would be cost prohibitive on that one ,unless sentiment/ a family or awful good friend tie , stepped in.
But hey ,at least it is light enough to roll back and forth for a couple years while working on it.

I need to get some better pics. The torque/transmission tube on this Cub (the round part that joins front and rear of the tractor) was broke in multiple places and scabbed back together. A scary deal as it is the frame really ...So it had to be replaced to reduce the pucker factor.

Then ...the clutch main bearing. The p.t.o. clutch and bearing. Rear tubes and tires. Wiring harness. Amp gauge (a used one went in) . Battery. Braided ground cable ,(6V neg. ground needs to be real good). Generator rebuilt. Starter rebuilt. All new tune up components including a new coil for the magneto. Plenty of cleaning (believe it or not) to remove decades of grease,oil,and debris. Hoses replaced ,ect.ect..

Still plenty to do , but he is a worker and will stay in work cloths. Multiple ,missing component and neglected /abused/rusted implements to work on too. One bottom plow. Cultivators,snow plow/ grader blade. The brush hog has had a rough life too (but works well) and the body of it could use hours of work.
Chasing dimensions on those parts i.d.'d for the implements will allow some fabrication. Figuring out what holds what how and where is interesting. Some brackets will have to be bought....
As much is involved in switching implements ...another tractor would be easier. Just leave the implement on it.
If I had a garage ,or better yet a barn , I'd probably be over my head.
IMG_0121.JPG

Last edited:

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Uncle Bill and my other Northern friends. After I left Home at 16, I haven’t been around gardening since. So when do you guys plant your gardens? I’m thinking of having one this year. We like green beans, maters,taters, cabbage, corn and cucumbers. I’m just thinking out loud. Thanks

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OV, brother my house is a project. I need you and RC, Scott, Uncle Bill, Dieselram, 45 Johnny for a couple weeks...... and any others I can’t think of off the top of my head. I’ll bring the beer! Haha I don’t drink alcohol. Hey guys what is that Angry Orchard Cider considered? Beer? Looks really good I’d like a few bottles of that stuff....... ok ok yes I still like apple juice hahaha

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awwww gold boy, brother I don’t know you friend but feel free to chime in. You’re included too buddy!!!!

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
The most feared sentance in the English language: "Hi, I'm from the government and I'm here to help".

thats the most ridiculious thing i ever heard. "i'm from the government and i'm here to help" God wont even help me ! am i whacked or what ?:icon_scratch: whos with me ?

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
The most feared sentance in the English language: "Hi, I'm from the government and I'm here to help".

that is when you say i'll be right back and jump out the back window

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Uncle Bill and my other Northern friends. After I left Home at 16, I haven’t been around gardening since. So when do you guys plant your gardens? I’m thinking of having one this year. We like green beans, maters,taters, cabbage, corn and cucumbers. I’m just thinking out loud. Thanks

When spring advances till your bare butt is not cold sitting on the ground.......:laughing7: It is time to plant.
We have had hard frost the second week of June where I am , but late May can be good planting time too for first go around.
Soil temp required for germination depends on the type seed. Some plants can be started indoors to get a head start. Depending on the plant, you are trying to get them in after last frost to have them mature before the first frost in the fall . Some things are a gamble if they have long maturity dates.
Fast growing cool season stuff is a safer bet for seeds if spring is colder than usual.

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem is RC, I live in Florida. Last week in the 30’s today low 70’s....... the ground as am I are confused. Haha

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah if Riley and Elayna do come to Florida momma just gave me a kitchen pass to spend time with them. Man oh man I hope they do come to Florida

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
better behave yourself if they do

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

Believe it or not I actually do metal detect....lol.

Here's an oddball find I made quite a few years ago what I believe is half of a Saturday night special. You never know what you'll find metal detecting.

Regards + HH

Bill

Attachments

• half of midnight special.jpeg
    half of midnight special.jpeg
    5.4 KB · Views: 81

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread