Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Warning: Pensive writing

Well, the week is over. I feel like I traveled through somewhere between the worlds of the living and the dead and then back again. It is amazing how fast gossip travels when it involves a doctor. Several people of relative importance came into the office and tried to send me home. However, patient after patient thanked me for coming in. As usual, the crisis never stopped coming. Then...some of the big guns had emergencies in their families and we had to work in extra patients. What can I say...I survived it. All in all, the last 10 days have been pretty stinking miserable. I told the wife to take the babe and head off to her parents house. I intend to do three things: sleep, rest, and watch football. I can't wait for the Colts to pound sand into the Patriots. I figure next week has to be better then this one after I rest up. One of these days one of G.I.B.'s crazy schemes will cash in and then I can retire and work for free...truly be a servant of the people. Until then; eat, drink, and be merry. For tomorrow we may die. No Guinness tonight, but I plan on sneaking a couple in tomorrow.

Good night all,
Crispin

Poetry Lovers' Page - Robert Louis Stevenson: At the Sea-side

http://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/stevenson/fairy_bread.html

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
They have been growing since April. I have some monster sweet potatoes... some are 10x the size of your regular grocery store tater. I also grow a lot of them in pots this year and made trellis out of the vines. Wife likes the purple flowers. I'll get out there this weekend and just deal with the pain. If I take it slow i should be okay. Try to steal wife's camera and get a pic.

Crispin

This was interesting.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At one time there were over 10,000 Heirloom seed companys in the states,now,less than a 100.

We're doomed!
At one point, I had wanted to start a "seed swap" thread. It never really got off the ground.
Also, for those that may not have seeds to swap, we would have to pay somehow, with money, treasure, stamps, something.
Which reminds me, I haven't picked up my Farmer's Almanac for this year yet, either.

Have a great weekend critters and lotsa funs!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
At one time there were over 10,000 Heirloom seed companys in the states,now,less than a 100.

We're doomed!
Should the poultry industry suffer,and it has its bouts, heirloom may be its only ability to rebound,though low production by todays standards.
I miss my chicken house!
Bigger better seeds for bigger better production, why buy them? why not grow whats adapted,proven and produces seeds each harvest saving you the purchase price and attendant risk of not having seed to purchase?Nothing like growing water dependent stock in a drought consistent site and vice versa. But wait theres more! these incredable seeds will germinate anywhere and give tremendous yields...

ERG10Lg.jpg

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should the poultry industry suffer,and it has its bouts, heirloom may be its only ability to rebound,though low production by todays standards.
I miss my chicken house!
Bigger better seeds for bigger better production, why buy them? why not grow whats adapted,proven and produces seeds each harvest saving you the purchase price and attendant risk of not having seed to purchase?Nothing like growing water dependent stock in a drought consistent site and vice versa. But wait theres more! these incredable seeds will germinate anywhere and give tremendous yields...

View attachment 928092

wife won't let me have chickens, but I've been gardening the same plot for the past 12 years,. sometimes with good results, sometimes with not so good results. This will be the first year I save seeds from my own grows. But, I have begun to build an aquaponics mini farm. With the rain cycles being the way they are recently, reusing the same water only seems to make sense. Growing edible fish to harvest also seems to be a win. Using the fish waste to grow the veggies can't be anything but the complete circle. Have you thought of trying that?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
wife won't let me have chickens, but I've been gardening the same plot for the past 12 years,. sometimes with good results, sometimes with not so good results. This will be the first year I save seeds from my own grows. But, I have begun to build an aquaponics mini farm. With the rain cycles being the way they are recently, reusing the same water only seems to make sense. Growing edible fish to harvest also seems to be a win. Using the fish waste to grow the veggies can't be anything but the complete circle. Have you thought of trying that?

Read of Arizona irrigation water being used to raise shrimp. Have not seen both fish and veggies raised together. Visit an old trout hatchery on occasion and would really get an itch if a set up like it was available. A onsite biofuel for heat would make it more reasonable in winter to try farming here.Out building needed also. Visited a hydroponic set up, its an science to run most efficient.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave,

I had a book on this subject not sure if it's still around or not but basically small scale self sufficient farming.

Regards + HH

Bill

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

Here's a link for a video for the members who enjoy gardening.....this system really works.....we have a small area probably about 30x20' feet or so with raised bed and among other produce we had close to 150 lbs of tomatoes last year...

Regards + HH

Bill

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEAUTIFUL picture....I will send over the many deer ,skunks,raccoons and squirrels...oh and Woodrats that make it impossible to Have a garden....But I'll look at this picture and dream..lol!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
BEAUTIFUL picture....I will send over the many deer ,skunks,raccoons and squirrels...oh and Woodrats that make it impossible to Have a garden....But I'll look at this picture and dream..lol!

What's a woodrat? A chipmunk maybe?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So I take it many here are not a fan of Monsanto seeds? :o

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! No dram..dusty footed Woodrat, is an endangered species in ca..they are very gentle, large in size even have some fur on tail..reddish with whit feet...they build very large stick and branch houses...some 6-8 feet tall...they are one of my favorites to get as orphaned babies, but difficult to keep alive..

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! No dram..dusty footed Woodrat, is an endangered species in ca..they are very gentle, large in size even have some fur on tail..reddish with whit feet...they build very large stick and branch houses...some 6-8 feet tall...they are one of my favorites to get as orphaned babies, but difficult to keep alive..

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uh! Can't remember how to send picture

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures on my other phone of one I have now...will get it another day...they are so sweet and soft!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions