Critical Thinking Skills

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I wander round the newspaper and magazine racks leafing through the occasional article I'm starting to see that most all "news articles" these days are in fact editorial pieces. I'm wondering if anybody else noticed this?

It is frightening to me that many people in today's society cannot seem to tell the difference between a news article and an editorial article in a news item. It used to be when the press was interviewing people they might say, "Just the facts please". Not anymore. Facts are objective statements like who, where, when and what. These facts are comprised of nouns and verbs. Subjective opinion statements on the other hand always employ words that modify nouns and verbs. These modifying words are called adjectives and adverbs. Adjectives and adverbs are NOT objective. They are always subject to interpretation.

If the news says "A man robbed a well known local business man today. The bumbling thief was quickly picked up by police." Well that's not news, such statements employing adjectives and adverbs are editorial in nature.

Just tell me who, what, when, and where please. We can form our own opinions, thank you.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The press/reporters/journalists don't want to tell the news, they want to be the news, or put their opinion/spin on it. Usually agenda driven, IMHO.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed that also. It's all opinions, not news.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I wander round the newspaper and magazine racks leafing through the occasional article I'm starting to see that most all "news articles" these days are in fact editorial pieces. I'm wondering if anybody else noticed this?

It is frightening to me that many people in today's society cannot seem to tell the difference between a news article and an editorial article in a news item. It used to be when the press was interviewing people they might say, "Just the facts please". Not anymore. Facts are objective statements like who, where, when and what. These facts are comprised of nouns and verbs. Subjective opinion statements on the other hand always employ words that modify nouns and verbs. These modifying words are called adjectives and adverbs. Adjectives and adverbs are NOT objective. They are always subject to interpretation.

If the news says "A man robbed a well known local business man today. The bumbling thief was quickly picked up by police." Well that's not news, such statements employing adjectives and adverbs are editorial in nature.

Just tell me who, what, when, and where please. We can form our own opinions, thank you.

My local "news" paper is no longer readable. It has turned to the extreme left, replacing moderate or conservative journalists with ones that for the last few years did nothing other than bash Trump. The so called "news" items are more and more articles about why we need to be locked down and wear masks. No longer worth the paper it's printed on.

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I posted in another thread, I think the Wall Street Journal is the best as a news source, and the rest you just aggregate and for a composite truth.

The worse form of bias is what you don't see. The news the editors choose to print, and the news they choose to leave out.

A good example of this is the violent summer riots. Some news sources did not cover them at all, or lied about their existence, while others covered them 24x7. You need multiple sources.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Broadcasters are openly ‘editorial journalist’. - is is different than a regular ol’ journalist.

This is a wonderful time to exercise your critical thinking skills!

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I posted in another thread, I think the Wall Street Journal is the best as a news source, and the rest you just aggregate and for a composite truth.

The worse form of bias is what you don't see. The news the editors choose to print, and the news they choose to leave out.

A good example of this is the violent summer riots. Some news sources did not cover them at all, or lied about their existence, while others covered them 24x7. You need multiple sources.

The news media treated those riots and lootings like they didn't exist. Idiot Governors and mayors let them go on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread