Crocks

D

diehard

I have been digging around this lone tree out in a field where there should have been a house. I am not even using a detector right now, I am just digging up the ground to try to locate where the corner stones should be. But I keep digging up these crocks, I have about 1/4 of a tan one about 1 gal., another pc. which has a big radius to it, it may have been a 5 gal. and one more which is gray with blue lettering on it. Is there any proper way to dig this place with out further damage to the crocks that I am finding.

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Diehard,

try using a probe and scrape the ground rather than dig. Have found a lot of bottles this way; never have found a crock that is in one piece.

have a good one...........
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like old "iron ware" and can be worth decent $$ if in good cond.

Cool finds,

HH

Lonewolfe

F

Floater

DieHard can you get us some Pics. The area sounds good. If you use a ice pick or a longer rod that is tapered to probe first you will have a better chance of digging without damage. Also if you are trying to find a house site in the field you may need to stand away from the field at an elevated point and look through some field glasses to see any slight depresions in the landscape or irregular growth that is different than the surrounding area. It will depend on the age of the site and the conditions you are in. Right now is the end of the heavy growth so you may not see a depression but the growth itself could be the key. Good Luck and LETS SEE SOME PICTURES. HH
~Floater~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread