Cross-discipline techniques

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but are the techniques used by treasure hunting divers the same, or similar enough to commercial divers that they will be called in to help remove the bridge that collapsed in Baltimore? Or are the situations different enough that this is like the difference between football and baseball? Based on what I saw there are several months of work ahead for a lot of people in just the cleanup part of the project. So congrats and good luck to anyone here who can grab the ring and make it pay.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That actually raises more questions for me. Do Navy salvage divers have a different set of skills than commercial salvage divers?
Underwater demolition for one. Explosives and how they work Underwater would be a difference. Not your typical civilian type diving coarse. Commercial divers might be familiar with Underwater cutting torches, and Underwater welding, these are not typical treasure salvage skills, but not out of the question. I could imagine Underwater Commercial divers cutting steel bridge beams, and then attaching cables, lifting eyes, and slings, to lift sections of steel by crane onto barges. I would not rule out Explosives as a mean to break up and clear out sections of steel and bridge deck the quickest !! Restoration of the the channel to restore maritime traffic and trade would be priority #1 I would think. Lots of money 💰 is being lost each day that ships can't pass into the port !! Treasure salvors hire the divers that can fill there specific needs.....not much need for Explosives experts Underwater, but if ya have to blow Davy Jones locker you can always hire one of these cowboy divers to do the job. Experience with Underwater detectors, hand held mags, airlifts, and other tools are used in the treasure salvage work. Lots of people dive....very few can identify ballast, Pottery shards, and EOs with there eyes, and use a detector effectively Underwater at the same time. I don't really see treasure salvors having any skills that these Commercial, and government divers would be lacking in this situation. I guess if you need every diver you can muster there might be a need for treasure salvors to help or volunteer....I think they probably already have a 24 hour rotation of the best Commercial and military divers diving in teams, and then resting teams while others carry on the work....have no doubt .... this will have the best and bravest divers America 🇺🇸 can muster out there working there asses off....probably right now !!

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Some interesting stuff, @Blak bart. This evening on the news they showed a good sonar composite of what's below the water. It really is a mess. As for skills, I could see archaeology-related divers being more suited to this than treasure divers. It's almost like the city of Pompeii waiting to be uncovered down there. The Navy could blow it up, but it's still going to have to be collected and hauled off.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some interesting stuff, @Blak bart. This evening on the news they showed a good sonar composite of what's below the water. It really is a mess. As for skills, I could see archaeology-related divers being more suited to this than treasure divers. It's almost like the city of Pompeii waiting to be uncovered down there. The Navy could blow it up, but it's still going to have to be collected and hauled off.
I've been following along, and they (commercial divers) have gone into overdrive cutting the bridge apart. They have rotating teams of divers working 24 hours a day. I can imagine them like an army of leaf cutter ants....breaking the steel beams down into movable pieces and loading them on barges. The underwater environment has been described as extremely dangerous....shifting steel wreckage, and torn jagged edges. Add in current, low visibility, and cold water, and it will be a miracle if they don't lose a diver. I don't think we as arm chair quarter backs have any idea how dangerous and challenging this is for these divers....God bless them and keep them safe...real life heros doing the heavy lifting required of them !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread