Cross Manufacturer coil swaps.

pb-to-au

Greenie
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for info on the CZ-20 to swap out some coils. I have a waterproof connector system i used on my Excalibur very successfully and wnat to upgrade modify my Fisher CZ-20 and 1280-X with larger/smaller coils. My connector is waterproof down to 60 feet dive depth so no need to tell me i am not supposed to cut the wires, etc.

First question what, if any, Fisher land machine uses the same circuit as the CZ-2-/CZ-21 so that I have a ready source of aftermarket/Fisher coils to choose from ? I REALLY want a 5 or 6 inch coil and a 14/15 inch coil for this machine

Second question, has anyone found another brand coil or another coil in the Fisher lineup that will work with the 1280-X (which is basically a TR machine, NOT VLF.) Wants are the same as above.

Any thoughts and experiences on this subject OK, Fisher or not. For instance I just found out Coiltek makes a 15 inch WOT that works on Xterra ( Vflex ) but I have not found out what frequency it runs (yet). If you find a White's works on a Minelab machine or a Fisher coil works on a Tesoro this is the place to post that if you are SURE of your info. No guessing ! No combo's that only partially work unless you state (exactly) what will or will not work for machine functions, such as the combo only works in all metal but not disc.

Anyway, I will post a picture of my connector at some point, those of you that have an Excalibur/Wot combo may want to switch from the hard lexan tube that is really too big and heavy to something close to mine which is a little flexible, not as long, and only a bit bigger than the coil wire.Minimal skill soldering involved.

Upvote 0

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
This kind of makes me wonder. Why do people, when they have a detector that works well, want to handicap it by adding a different size coil? A smaller coil covers less area and a larger coil gets in the way all the time. The coil that comes with a detector is usually just the right size and believe it or not, there is very little difference in how far they will go down. I think it has to do with stages we go thru like when I had to have dual exhaust and 2 four barrels on the rod. With the limitations of the roads and enforcement, I really couldn't drive that much faster. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

OP
OP
pb-to-au

pb-to-au

Greenie
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, manufacturer coils are great middle of the road things, like training wheels. Accessory coils are a good money making gimmick for MD makers, most folks don't really know precisely what the new coil does for them.

HOWEVER in the Right circumstance, with the Right user, additional coils can lead to better outcomes. Heck I sometimes even pick what machine to use depending on circumstance, let alone what coil. I run an Excalibur, a 1280-X and a Fisher CZ-20 on the beaches I haunt, sometimes I leave the Excal home in preference to the 1280-X which has a much faster sweep speed and great target seperation amongst heavy iron, and very fast reset speeds( nice in trashy Iron areas.) The Excal. here would be in Null 50% of the time, sweeps slower, and in null you can not pick up close good targets. I have NO trouble running with the 1280-X except in actuall rippled salt areas or dipped in a wave,and I have learned how to get around that mostly. It's a learning process. The 1280-X is probably one of the greatest water machines of all time in fresh water and tops in salt too.
The areas I like to use my modified Excal I almost always use a 15 inch WOT coil and I can tell you for a fact this coil in the right hands, with the machine properly tuned and ground balanced, ( yes you can GB an Excal ) is super sensitive to GOLD targets, will find small stuff ( like .22 bullets down 6 inches, annoying,but hey) and absolutely will find silver quarters at 20 inches plus in normal salt ground beaches in DISC, actually goes deeper in disc than pinpoint and gives a clearer signal.
I also have a Sunray S-5 coil for this machine that I use infrequently but when a beach blows out and there is a pile of ROCKS instead of sand this is the coil I put on. So, am I a GEEK that likes toys, well, ya. Do my toys work for me and get me more/better/deeper stuff? Well,ya.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Outstanding thread topic :thumbsup:
I've thought about using some of my Explorer series coils on a T2, they use the same 5 pin plug.
Thought about it is all I've done though.... Hope that some others more knowledgeable will post their results. (Sizzle?)
I don't have any experience the help with your questions PBtoAU, but will be watching to see what pops up..

Well, Ya :laughing7: Coil size does matter.
Like when you get a few outstanding shallow finds from a site that has as much iron as dirt.
Time for the small coil and big magnet.
The big guys have their place too, plowed fields and endless sand beaches, that WOT punches a deep hole,
and covers ground efficiently.
"Do my toys work for me and get me more/better/deeper stuff? Well,ya." Nicely Stated :laughing7:
HH

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be interested in what you've done to convert the Excalibur to waterproof connectors as I'd like to put a WOT coil on it myself. One of the guys on here is going to make thread-on connector end caps for one but it's still in the development stage and I'd like to get this thing ready for summer soon. Any info you have would be appreciated.

dodgeit

Mar 26, 2013
indiana
Detector(s) used
whites mxt,ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with frankn been running an sef coil on my mxt so I thought I would put the stock coil back on and man I have been hitting a lot more coins,the last one was a 1851 large cent at 10 inchs...

Last edited:

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coil size can make a big difference, and having a variety of coils can really expand your hunting opportunities. My favorite is still the XLT for which I have around 10 coils, including a Bigfoot and Six Shooter, which are incredibly useful and incredibly rare.

pb, it is sometimes possible to find cross-compatible coils between mfgs, but usually it requires a lot of finagling to get it to work. It is easiest to do with wideband coils, which I assume is what the CZ detectors used. Someone on eBay has been selling adapters for various detectors, I assume most of these are wideband and the finagling has been added in the adapter. The 1280x is actually a ULF (2.4kHz or such) detector so finding a compatible coil may be tough. I think they made it with either an 8 or 10 inch, and it may be the same as the original CZ6 but I'm not sure.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This kind of makes me wonder. Why do people, when they have a detector that works well, want to handicap it by adding a different size coil? A smaller coil covers less area and a larger coil gets in the way all the time. The coil that comes with a detector is usually just the right size and believe it or not, there is very little difference in how far they will go down. I think it has to do with stages we go thru like when I had to have dual exhaust and 2 four barrels on the rod. With the limitations of the roads and enforcement, I really couldn't drive that much faster. Frank...

View attachment 776775
That's the main point of a different size coil......area coverage. With a small coils you want to cover just a small area so you don't get two or more targets in the same sweep path so you can avoid one target masking another. With a large coil you can cover a larger area in much less time. Added benefit of the large coil can be deeper detection (especially on larger targets). The drawback is a heavier loop to swing and in some cases less sensitivity to small targets.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Not a competing treasure hunting forum! I've found assistance in repair of metal detectors on another forum - look up Geotech forums, and you can either find, or pointed in the right direction on modifications like this.

OP
OP
pb-to-au

pb-to-au

Greenie
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MVC-025S.JPG MVC-024S.JPG MVC-023S.JPG MVC-022S.JPG Just a note someone mentioned CZ-6 as a possible coil for the 1280-X and i thought the CZ-6 -6A were the same as the CZ-20 only in a land configuration or wader. Thoughts on that. Also when I say cross manufacture that would include Coiltek/ Sunray or any aftermarket coil you may have used on a machine not listed on the coil maker's charts and how did it work? Basically any electronic Fiddling you have been doing that actually worked ( can you say SIZZZZZLE ) HaHa.
Also the same person thought the 1280-X was a ULF and not a TR type. Ideas?

Those of you that have only had Digital Machines don't know about TR mode, but was (and IS STILL ) a usefull mode. I will never forget the day I detected a GRAVE down who knows how many feet because of the ground disturbance. Some people used to call it CAVE MODE because it could DETECT AIR POCKETS without metal being present. How about a drug dealers trash bag full of 100 dollar bills buried 3 feet down. POSSIBLE with a TR mode. I still have my old White's DI pro for just that reason, it's still usefull. Anyway, I am a computer dunce and my Android phone does not seem to work well with the Treasure Net app either. I am an ANALOG DINOSAUR I guess. Old school is still cool.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Transmit/receive is something I've never worked with, I like your custom Excal :)
It looks great with that big ole wot.
For a large coil it does still pick up small targets, contrary to most opinion
Off topic question:
I thought my excal was a pulse machine til I was informed otherwise,
Why are its tonal responses so different from my explorer series machines if it is a vlf or multifreq ??

Last edited:

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
1280-X runs at 2.4 kHz and is a conventional 2nd derivative motion discriminator somewhat similar to the 1266-X. The 1280-X uses its own coils and nothing else will work properly on it.

The CZ's all use the same searchcoil series. Nothing else is going to work properly on a CZ.

Nothing works on the T2 but T2 searchcoils. T2 searchcoils will not work on anything else.

Exceptions would be aftermarket searchcoils manufactured specifically for the model in question, which may work properly.

In general, this is how it is with metal detectors.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
pb-to-au

pb-to-au

Greenie
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A word on pin numbers for plugs. Like they say in Oz,pay no attention to the man behind the curtain as the number of pins DOES NOT equal the number of wires. For instance on the Sovereign there are four wires only which means the other pins/holes in plug are vacant. The only way to tell is remove the locking collar on the coil wire plug and pull apart to see how many pins are live or Vampire Pins.

OP
OP
pb-to-au

pb-to-au

Greenie
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, at least on the CZ series. I am looking for my wire snippers now just about and hunting down CZ-6 coils which was my inclination before I posted here anyway.
Interesting on the 1280 being a ULF, as I always was under the mistaken impression it was a TR circuit, especially given the dramatic effect severe ground minerals have on this machine. Oh well, I believed in the Tooth Fairy far too long and it did not cause a major psycho problem when I found out otherwise so I guess I am ok with the ULF verdict. NOW you say the 1280 is SIMILAR to the 1266-X. So, how similar? Enough that an experimental coil switch is feasable you think or not? Just sayin. I would love to find a 6 inch coil that would work on this machine.

OP
OP
pb-to-au

pb-to-au

Greenie
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How you got the notion Excal was pulse eludes me.If only they came out with a Pulse that does Disc. like the Excal. they would sell a million of them! The Excal is a 17 frequency VLF and is a Minelab Sov. waterproofed. I am assuming the electronics as to target response have been modified to cut down on the number of tones as water hunters don't need more than 3 or 4 tones for target ID. But still a Sovereign on steroids.
Not having run an Explorer I can only assume the FBS system ( 100 frequencies transmitted according to Minelab blurbs) has it's own tone ID system much different than the land Sovereign or the toned down target ID of the Excal.
I don't do a lot of land hunting so I am out of the loop kind of. I did buy a Minelab X-Terra and hardly used it at all. I probably should get a used Explorer II as I understand they are very nice machines and WORK ON THE BEACH LOL!!!!

OP
OP
pb-to-au

pb-to-au

Greenie
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of DRUG DEALERS some guy in my area just got bUsted with a bunch of coke and they found nearly a million dollars in cash hidden in a storage trailer. I have an old friend that worked for the Feds in K9 and his dog could detect MONEY along with drugs, guns and the like. If I lived in Arizona I would have Gold metal detectors and Money sniffing dogs LOL!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 776775

Frankn, I use nothing but large coils on my excal and sov gt, I have no problem using them and I used 15 " on sov gt to hunt land many times. with no issues, it is like anything else you learn to do it. Coil never got in the way, I learned how to pinpoint and recover multiple targets under coil at same time....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn, I use nothing but large coils on my excal and sov gt, I have no problem using them and I used 15 " on sov gt to hunt land many times. with no issues, it is like anything else you learn to do it. Coil never got in the way, I learned how to pinpoint and recover multiple targets under coil at same time....

I guarantee I am getting a lot deeper with 15" coil than the 10" stock. .

OP
OP
pb-to-au

pb-to-au

Greenie
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well at least I can do what I want with the CZ-20 anyway. Anyone have the following stuff give me a shout as I am looking for:
8 inch 1280-X coil. 8 inch Excalibur coil COIL ONLY not the machine. Looking at maybe $100 or less for Excal. and around $50? for the 1280-X.

Also, does anyone know how to get Treasure Net to function on Android phones? I can only read, no pics, no posts, nothing interactive at all. If you could point me to a tutorial or something? I admit I am a dumb bunny techno wise! I can only reply to threads or post pics from a PC, does not work at all from my phone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread