Cross Roads of America....

wirelessworldinc

Dec 30, 2005
Indiana
Dan,
I heard from the Library here in town, that a couple of years ago, some detectorist came to the Library and looked up some history on an old horse track east of town. I am thinking it must be over by the port somewhere. They spent two days and found money. How much or what the Librarian did not know. Talk to you later.
Mary ann Barclay

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
http://hhhills.org/jhmht/ here is a site you folks down south might want to check out. Follow the trail of Morgans raid across southern Indiana.Perhaps with some research a person could find an area that they may have camped in and get permission for a hunt. If you happen to line something up dont be shy about inviting me down,Id sure love to find some CW relics HH

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
I'm a yankee hoosier! As far north as you can get before entering Michigan! The local library has remote access on the internet here; and I have been downloading Sanbourn maps to study this winter. About 85 to go and I have a complete collection!

OP
OP
M

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
Wow Mary ann....I hadn't heard about that before, if I can find a definate location I'll get with you.
By the way.....ever locate that lost pendant?

I've worked a little on Morgan's raid and got to do a little searching around Corydon but nothing significant. I hope to get back in that area again armed with more knowledge and time.
Thanks for the info. Happy Hunting Dan.

silverfinder37

Mar 24, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
looking for an Explorer
My mother and father live about 1 mile from where Morgans raiders camped in Dupont, I grew up there and live across the river now. I will see if I can get permission to hunt this spot and give you folks a update.
Best Regards, Ray

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Hey Ray that would be great,I think several people from the forum live down in or near that area. I live up in Indy but would for sure be willing to drive down for a day or two if there was a good chance of finding some CW relics. Not a lot of places to look around my area and I see people posting stuff all the time,starts gnawing at you after awhile...HH

K

Kid SyN

I live about 15 Miles from Dupont in North Vernon, I hear rumors that there are some people over in Jackson County finding gold while panning tha White River, how true it is I'm not sure but I plan to find out when I get some time off work.

OP
OP
M

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
Kid, I've also heard of gold being found a little farther north of me (southern Indiana), I'm not familiar with panning/sleucing but would love to give it a try. I hear that they find mostly placer gold. Good luck.
Happy Hunting. Dan

K

Kid SyN

Dan that may be but I'm not sure what it is they are finding. I'm not familiar with panning either but who know's I might give it a try sometime in tha future.

My main area of interest is Lost Cache of Treasure and Shipwreck's. Right now I've been investing about 3 hours a day for the past 3 months on trying to figure out just where tha Reno's may of buried their stolen money.

OP
OP
M

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
Finding a cache would be the best! I live along the Ohio River, the stories of river pirates holds my interest. I hope to do more hunting along these lines. Cave-in-rock (Illinois) isn't too far from here, lots of stories and legend there.
Happy Hunting. Dan

K

Kid SyN

Well hmmmm here is a list of place's and treasure's here in Indiana I want to look for and search...

Lost Reno Brother's Loot - The Reno brothers hid $80,000, stolen in a train robbery, before fleeing to Canada in 1868 with a posse hot on their trail. In Rockford, their home base, the Reno brothers also hid $98,000 from another train robbery. Located between Rockford and Seymour near State Road 31A.

Al Capone's Whiskey Cache - Before being gunned down, Al Capone's henchmen hid 2,000 cases of whiskey, worth about $300,000, in a cave. They sealed the opening by using explosives. Located near Michigan City on the shores of Lake Michigan.

Martin County Gold - Gold bullion and a large number of figurines are said to be buried in a save put there by Indians in the year 1810. Located north of Shoals off State Road 150 overlooking the White River on Rocky McBride Bluff.

Dillinger's Cache - John Dillinger, according to the FBI, is said to have buried some $25,000 on a 67 acre farm belonging to his father. Located in Mooresville, Indiana.

Harris Farm Cache - A number of gold coin caches are hidden on the grounds of the Harris Farmhouse (now known as Bear Farm). It was used as headquarters during the civil war to smuggle slaves out of the south. Located 3 miles northeast of Madison at the mouth of a hollow on the Ohio River.

John Morgan's Cache - General John Morgan buried around $5,000 in gold coins during the civil war. Located at George Rogers Clark Historical Park, south of Vincennes.

Lake County Cache - In 1920, gangster Jim Colosimo buried millions of dollars worth of diamonds. Located outside of Crown Point.

Marshall County Cache - Gangster Jim Genna is said to have buried a large amount of money in a steel box under a rock pile in a pasture. The FBI and treasure hunters however, have been unsuccessful in locating the spot. Located 1-1/2 miles down a dirt road off State Road 6 near Bremen.

Vigo County Cache - In the 1920's, a bank employee embezzled about $95,000 in paper currency from his employer. He then buried it on a farm and committed suicide. Located outside of Terre Haute by State Road 42.

Warren County Cache - A passenger train, in 1928, was held up by four bandits. They took $80,000 in gold bullion, paper currency, and coins. Four days later the bandits were caught and hanged without revealing where the money was stashed. Located by the Illinois state line near Marshfield.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Ive read quite a bit about gold panning and nugget hunting in IN. From what Ive read the best places seem to be just below where the glaciers stopped,with Morgan and Brown counties being the best. It is said a 2 oz nugget was found in a waterway in Morgan county. The best spots,so I gather,are where creeks enter white river and anywhere on the creeks where you find a waterfall,right below the waterfall is the best spot to look. Ive never hunted gold but I have a buddy here that lived in gold country in CA. He has panned some and found some pretty nice nuggets with his MXT. Apparently the MXT is very sensitive to gold nuggets,one of the better detectors in that price range for sniffing them out. I tell ya what you guys down way south have a lot of is fossils. Falls of the Ohio right above Louisville is one of the largest exposed fossil beds in the world,though you cant take them out of there the topography is pretty consistent all along our southern border. One place I would be looking for if I lived down ther would be old overlooks along the river. We have a lot of the higher ground down there so a lot of people crossed the river to go to our overlooks. You find a nice long forgotten overlook and you could find some really nice things...Shoot

M

midwest_prospector

Any of you fellow Hoosiers interested in gold panning locations & info should check out my website: www.midwestprospector.com I've found many ounces of "Indiana" glacial gold and quite a few old coins/gold rings to boot. Take a look at some of the pictures on the site. Last summer a dredged up an 1802 1 Real.

Happy Holidays, Chuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread